FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Using Kai with two network cards and two routers View next topic
View previous topic
llnk2
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have two internet connections, ADSL and Cable. I also have two linksys routers which connected with a crossover cable. My operating system is Windows XP Pro and the firewall is disabled.

I have recently installed two Network Interface Cards (NIC) in my computer. One for ADSL and the other for Cable. Each NIC plugs into the corrosponding router. The routers IP addresses are 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.2.1. The computer's network card's IP address and gateway are static and are setup correctly.

The problem is when i start the Kai engine, Kai always connects through the ADSL NIC. I want Kai to use the Cable NIC. I have already tried forcing Kai to use the Cable NIC in the KaiConfig options but it still wont work. If i disable the ADSL NIC Kai will connect using Cable with no problems.

Does anyone know how to make Windows force Kai to use the Cable NIC? I want all other applications to use ADSL.
XxJustBlazexX
Kai Lover
Kai Lover

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hmm, not really sure about this one. The only solution I could think of is running your Kai engine off the router and specifying the Java UI to connect to that specific router. That way, traffic will be forced to that (cable) instead of the other (ADSL). But this only applies if you have a compatible linksys router. Confused Have you tried switching the ethernet connections on your computer? Razz Worth a try
llnk2
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

yea i have the linksys wrt54g... but kaistation is too unstable when hosting large halo2 games.
MeanMF
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Unfortunately I'm not sure there's an easy way to accomplish what you are trying to do. The NIC selection in Kai Config is for which network card to use to communicate with the XBox, not with the orbitals or other players. That traffic is routed based on your PC's routing tables, just like any other IP traffic. So in effect, it will always route to your default gateway. There is no way in Windows XP to route traffic based on the type of traffic (port, protocol, etc) only by the address that it is being sent to.

So you have a few options...

First, you could run the Kai engine on the Cable router..If you have a Linksys WRT54G or one of the other supported routers, or don't mind buying one, this is probably your best bet..Check the WRT forum for more information.

Second, you could set up another PC to run the Kai engine. Just set its default gateway to the Cable router instead of the ADSL router.

Third, you could try running in a virtual machine using VMWare or Virtual PC. I don't know if Kai will even work under VMWare, but if you have the software it's worth a shot. Just set the default gateway of the virtual copy of Windows to the Cable router.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic