FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 No firewalls at all, but problems still occur. View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
acidsnake
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Okay, like the Subject states, I don't have any firewalls installed on my computer. I also just switched to a new switch with no built-in firewall, yet I still cannot see any games on the "System Link Games" screen in Halo. Kai says my XBox is properly configured. Please help!
TheDaddy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Check out threads discussing winpcap problems, diagnosis and solutions..

TD
acidsnake
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

As far as I can tell, I've done just about everything that's been suggested. I've tried running Kai with both WinPCap 3.0 and 3.01 alpha, but I keep getting the same results. A detected XBox with no games on the System Link Screen. I would really like to get this set up, because XBC just blows.
dfunked
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Were you positive a game was being hosted and waiting for players to join? You sure you were in the correct video region arena?
acidsnake
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 4:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I am positive that I was in the right room. I live in NC, and have an NTSC box, so I go to the Halo NTSC-USA room. There were about 30 people in the room and they were talking like there was at least one game up. Any ideas?
acidsnake
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I would really appreciate some help here. I have everything set up as suggested, but it's still not working right. My XBox is detected, but there are no games shown on the System Link Games Screen.
Please help! Exclamation Question Exclamation
dfunked
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm willing to join you some time in the Tech Support channel to help you out and work this one..

As we're on different ends of the world, I'm not sure how well that'll work. All your posts have been aroudn 2am - 10am my time Shocked

What other system-link games do you have? I suggest you try playing something OTHER than Halo if you have another system-link game. If you can get a diff. game to work, it can narrow the problem down to Halo only.
acidsnake
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't have any others, but getting one wont be a problem, I'll let you know when I test another game.
acidsnake
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I haven't gotten ahold of another system link game, but I have talked to a friend from school and he has the same problem. Also, I don't have any problems seeing games in xbc (when I'm not being kicked out of a room for being a single), or when I'm at a LAN party with my friends.
TheDaddy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 4:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ask some other users in the arena if they can see your ping..

TD
[FUNK]
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

If you use MSN, hit me up some time after 4PM EST and I will help get you up and running. I have a feeling that the problem is cable related though. But that is just a guess from what I have read.

Kai Enthusiast
Kai Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
I also just switched to a new switch

I just noticed this statement from your first post. If you are, in fact, using an actual switch then there is the source of your problem right there. Kai depends on a network card functioning in promiscuous mode, which allows it to capture all traffic from the network card. One function of a switch is to build a MAC address table and only forward packets between the appropriate ports - with the only exception being given to broadcast packets. This would literally cripple Kai from working as the Xbox does not use broadcasts except during the initial configuration of system link games. Once the connections are established the systems would use MAC addresses in each packet header since all xbox systems use the exact same IP address in system link mode. Unfortunately, if your switch doesn't have those MAC addresses in its local table then the packets are not forwarded.

In summary, buy a hub instead of a switch.
trevorj
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

This also seems to answer my problem...
All I own are switches, so I guess I'm screwed. Especially since switches are better than hubs to begin with. Crying or Very sad
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
[FUNK]
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I use a router/switch and it works fine. This problem sounds like WinPCap more than anything else.

Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hmm..

Currently the network is setup as

Xbox --> Router2 --> Hub --> Switch --> Router1 --> Computer

Router2 is setup just like a switch. Nothing enters it's wan port, which is just as it should be =)

I just tried putting the computer into the switch before router1 to no avail. It all worked before, so I think it's a winpcap problem. But I've tried 3.1b3 and the 3.0 on the site, along with whatever kai installs. I rebooted twice for every one too. Analyzer doesn't seem to pickup on the packets from the xbox's avalaunch ( yes it's in promisc mode )

I can't wait until Kai comes out for linux so I don't have to deal with any of this. Twisted Evil
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
SS-CybrPunk
Kai Enthusiast
Kai Enthusiast

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

darn double posts.... pbpBB > me

Last edited by SS-CybrPunk on Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
SS-CybrPunk
Kai Enthusiast
Kai Enthusiast

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The purpose of a router is to filter information that isn't intended for the remote network. The problem here is that system link games use the IP address of 0.0.0.1 which is a non-routable IP address. You need to get both devices on the same network segment in order for the PC to see the Xbox. Once you enter a game and go into system link, the IP address settings from your dashboard do not matter and your Xbox has no idea what the address of your gateway/router is.

This setup will not work with Kai unless you get the PC and Xbox on the same network segment.

Funk - the router/switch devices sold in stores for the masses don't use MAC address tables and spanning tree protocol. If this guy, or anyone else, is using a true network switch such as a 3com SuperStack, Cisco Catalyst or even the smaller SMC 5 port workgroup switches then they behave entirely different when compared to Netgear, Linksys, Dlink routers and the like. I use a DLink router/switch at home and have no problems as well. If I were using a real network switch I'd be up a creek.

This is all basic network theory taught in classes from CompTIA, Cisco, M$, Redhat, Checkpoint... you name it. I used to teach some of these classes.
DIE-HARD
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Smile http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/img/crew/die-hard.jpg

everything but the DHCP server in kai will work fine as long as you keep everything on the same VLAN

and since with teh xbox DHCP doesnt matter Smile no problems here!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic