FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Stream Digital Media on Your Wii View next topic
View previous topic
shadowace
Team XLink Moderator
Team XLink Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Has anyone tried this? I just found it over at ign.com, looks interesting but I could not get the software to download so far.

Quote:
Stream Digital Media on Your Wii
Orb expands its media streaming service to include Wii support.
by Micah Seff
January 4, 2007 - Nintendo's Wii recently entered into the wild world of the Internet with the addition of the Opera Web Browser to the Wii Channels Menu, and it seems like the world is taking notice. Orb Networks announced that it is offering Wii support for its MyCasting service which allows users to stream any form of digital media from their home PCs onto other electronic devices. Orb's free software lets users enjoy all digital media stored on their home PC on any other networked device, a category which now includes the Wii.

"What Nintendo did -- offering Internet connectivity on its game console was so simple and easy -- yet it tears a big hole into the walled content garden erected by gaming manufacturers," said Joe Costello of Orb Networks. "Consumers want the freedom to surf the Web while sitting on their sofas but that really just scratches the surface of what is available. People can get any digital content on their home PC, be it videos, music, TV, photos, whatever they want, and watch it on their TV screen without limitations or additional fees, which is what Orb promises and the Wii helps deliver. Nintendo opened the door for millions of gamers to see the power of what the Internet can offer in terms of media freedom, choices and access: other gaming manufacturers should follow suit, and the content providers and programmers should notice."

In order to make use of Orb, Wii owners must first download the free software to their home PCs, and set up a MyCast account. They must also have the Opera Browser downloaded to their Wiis, something that can be done through the Wii Shop Channel. Finally, users must go onto the Wii Internet Channel and head to mycast.orb.com in order to login and access all of the digital media stored on their computer. This includes music, photos, video, TV, and other documents. This media can then be played on users' televisions through the Wii.

Team XLink Baker
Team XLink Baker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

P and I watched episodes of Penn and Teller's Bullshit on Google video using the Opera browser.

It is just awesome.

Gunslinger
prestige
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

shadowace wrote:
Has anyone tried this? I just found it over at ign.com, looks interesting but I could not get the software to download so far.

Yeah it kinda blows to be honest. XBMC is much better. Once we have homebrew running on the Wii (which is not far off as we can now run GC homebrew stuff), I'm sure a proper media player will be ported over.

-p

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic