FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Apple releases world's thinnest notebook! View next topic
View previous topic
-MuffinDCC-
Kai Spammer
Kai Spammer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Just check out www.apple.com - Macbook Air, thinnest piece of sexiness in the computing world.

I know a lot of you don't care about Apple but this thing is awesome Very Happy

Kai Spammer
Kai Spammer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The thing I don't like about Apple is they treat computing like its a trend. They try to market themselves as the "cool" way to compute. They don't really focus on any technical advancements, they're all about the visuals and marketing. I can't remember the last time Apple truly made an advancement in performance. Sure you can argue that making a paper thing Laptop is advancing the technology, but its in the visual sense. Now you're stuck with a certain model of hardware for the thing. You can't just order a laptop hard-drive off newegg, and slap the bastard in.

Stuff like this is fine for the guy who just wants something to check his email on, but for the rest of us who are a bit more computer literate, we need more power and the way to get that is to support the companies that are advancing the computing world. Right now i'm all about Intel, because they've got the Core 2 Duo. The fastest set of chips on the market. If you support them, they'll have the ability to make even faster chips. Get the logic?

Now that is out've the way. Yeah a laptop that thin is cool. I'd personally like to tear one apart to get a look at the guts of it.

Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

(DD)JiffyWhip wrote:
Yeah a laptop that thin is cool. I'd personally like to tear one apart to get a look at the guts of it.

You'll be happy to know that it has a Core 2 Duo in it.. Laughing
SgtLegend
TX Server Nerd
TX Server Nerd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

i was going to get a apple notebook but then "The Parents" said no Mad
-Ricochet-
PSP Guru
PSP Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

jiffy just saved me the time to type that as well

second.
(-TU-)-Corndog-
Kai Lover
Kai Lover

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Me and Muffin were actually talking about Mac Computers and OS X i was just leaning back and listening to what he had to said he had some good points.

Im still deciding weather to build the Custom Computer or buy a Mac because ive always wanted a Mac

after seeing this ive been leaning to a Mac because of the nice clean OS, im still looking at the Custom Computer because of what i can do with what i want in the computer.

I will probably have decided by the time i get the money, i like the MacBook Air

Kai Spammer
Kai Spammer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I want one of them. But i dont think there really that durable. for being that thin.
(-TU-)-Corndog-
Kai Lover
Kai Lover

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

And it also doesn't come with a DVD/CD Rom drive which is a real big issue with people buying this you can install alot of things with out the DVD/CD Rom but most people wont care since they download everything

*Looks around*

IT FITS INSIDE OF A MANILA FOLDER

Kai Spammer
Kai Spammer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Mac's have a purpose... But its all mostly "trend" when people lean toward them. Unless you need it for work, ie you're a graphic artist, or sound engineer, then a Mac is just for show. Or to be able to say, yeah, i've got a Mac, i'm cool.

Same idea as all those Linux users out there. They'll brag about compiling their own kernel from scratch, and how they've customized their KDE interface to include all these little widgets. Who cares? Can you play Call of Duty 4 natively? Didn't think so.

If you want the most bang for your buck. Build your own computer. Mac's are pricey as hell, and you're backing yourself into a corner as far as what you can do with it. While if you build your own, then you can throw XP on it, and do whatever you want to do.

No one buys software anymore. So those pricey software suites that people used to bitch about having to get are obsolete. With packages like OpenOffice out there, you don't even need Microsoft Office anymore.

Its what I recommend to anyone considering a Mac. Try it before you buy it.

Video Master
Video Master

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

i like how they advertise the shit but never give a price range.

xr8d.net
MeanMF
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

TPP27 wrote:
i like how they advertise the shit but never give a price range.

$1,799 for the basic model, $3,098 for a faster one with the flash hard drive. $1,899/$3,248 in Canada.
[1up]MstrGmr200
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Its cool to see a laptop that thin, but that doesn't persuade me to go Apple for my first laptop.

Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm disappointed with the Macbook Air, myself, because I was hoping for a sub-notebook from Apple instead of an ultra-portable. I'd hoped for something like the Asus eee PC but made by Apple and running OS X. Despite its thinness, the Air is still too damn big. I'm not thrilled by the design either - looks like a steamroller ran over one of the new Nano MP3 Players.

Regarding (DD)JiffyWhip's points about Apple innovation, I have to disagree. The Core 2 Duo processor in the Macbook Air is 60% smaller than those previously available and was made by Intel at the specific request of Apple. Moreover, the touchscreen functionality of the iPhone and iPod touch is the most advanced innovation for input devices in the last 20 years.

Still, I am not at all surprised to read comments suggesting Apple product is for 'the cool crowd' and their product is simple glitz with no substance. The 'I'm a Mac' commercials do nothing to dispel this tired accusation. The truth is, however, OS X is a bonifide Unix system and shares its roots with the most powerful and technologically advanced systems in the world. Everyone from Animation Studios to geological scientists use Macs. Mac users look like supermodels and pimply faces geeks -- everyone uses Macs, even my 65 year old mother.

If you are looking for a new system, I highly suggest you go to a store with a liberal two week return policy (Future Shop, Bestbuy, the Apple Store) and buy one. Commit yourself to using it for the two weeks. Unless you have really tried it yourself, all the pro and anti Mac banter is just noise in your head. Go see for yourself. Whether you keep it or not, you will have fun giving it an honest try.

-p

Kai Spammer
Kai Spammer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Its a cool little laptop but I would never personally buy it as I don't really do what it was intended for... travel Very Happy However, a cool laptop nevertheless and wouldn't mind one for free Smile

I have to agree with Prestige on the Mac "stereotypes". The world has moved on, every type of person owns a Mac. Why, because its cool??? (I have heard of brainwashing by Apple before...seriously), that is just an absurd statement. They are cool products, but is the primary motivation for buying a product or just a decisive factor amongst the comparative products, I would agree with my latter statement. I bought my Macbook Pro, really as I wanted to run OSX as it is an absolutely fabulous OS which is so incredibly intuitive and the 3rd party apps, mainly QuickSilver just make it...amazing.

Each to their own, I run Windows in VMware inside Leopard so best of both worlds Smile

Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

imagine dropping it

(DD)JiffyWhip
Kai Spammer
Kai Spammer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

prestige wrote:
Moreover, the touchscreen functionality of the iPhone and iPod touch is the most advanced innovation for input devices in the last 20 years.

-p

I beg to differ my friend. This is the most advanced innovation for input devices in the last 20 years, and it isn't Apple based. Its Microsoft's Surface. Same touch interface as Apple, but much more complex.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9j_tYP-kzc&feature=related

Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I was just testing to see if my Sig worked

Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

it looks aneroexic lol

Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

(DD)JiffyWhip wrote:
prestige wrote:
Moreover, the touchscreen functionality of the iPhone and iPod touch is the most advanced innovation for input devices in the last 20 years.

-p

I beg to differ my friend. This is the most advanced innovation for input devices in the last 20 years, and it isn't Apple based. Its Microsoft's Surface. Same touch interface as Apple, but much more complex.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9j_tYP-kzc&feature=related

Surface looks great in video, but can I buy one?

-p

Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0ERgZ9dztk

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic