Maybe
38%
 38%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 13

SgtLegend
TX Server Nerd
TX Server Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I was thinking about this deeply and i thought that who needs school. Ive learnt so much stuff by myself and its better then going to school for 5 days a week 6 hrs a day

I would like to see as many comments on this as possible just to see how many users think school is a time waster
spiralblitz
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

School is there to educate you about things which 70% of which you will never use or will learn again when you go to college. If you live in the US things are probably ten times worse since america is afraid of educational reform.
[DC][)ragonfire
Kai Spammer
Kai Spammer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It all depends on what your learning, take me for example, i say yes and no, no bc i hate english class, abut yes bc he do need to learn math, but for me i took a lot of electives like Woodworking, Electronics I and II, and of course my AutoCAD for 4yrs in high school which has been defintely worth it!

So, like i said, depends on what ur learning Wink

Kai Lover
Kai Lover

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

OMG
i cant believe we are having a poll about this
school is the gateway to your future
you dont go to school
you lose 80 percent chances of actually being succesful in life
are lost
Dont be a fool
stay in school
Winners dont use drugs

sometimes we do stuff we are not going to use in our whole life,i agree
but,dude,its school,i have 8 hours of school, thank god there are holidays.
Some people like Ronaldinho dont have to go to school
which,
is totally different.

GO TO SCHOOL!
IF YOU WANNA BE SOMEBODY
GO TO SCHOOL
CrunchBite
Team XLink Developer
Team XLink Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This is seriously the stupidest Poll ever.

With you school, we would have no technology, cars, and we'd all be idiots!

Last edited by CrunchBite on Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
prestige
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The truth is that much of what you learn in school will not be the skills you use later in life either at work or at home. Still, all those lessons do influence your life latter in small but important ways. Subjects like History, English, and Art provide a context and help refine other things you do. Subjects like Math, Biology, Chemistry, and Physics provide a more technical ground work for things you do later in life.

In highschool, I studied Sciences and Maths. At University, I studied English. Now, I am 35 and working as a Manager, System Administrator, and Web Developer. None of my carrier roles are directly related to my formal education however I find I use all the skills from all the subjects I've studied.

English has provided me with the skills to communicate well in my profession from email correspondence with clients to drafting proposals for upcoming projects. Physics and math provide me with good logic and some hard skills I use in programming. Meanwhile History and other Humanities studies provide a context for discussion with coworkers and clients alike.

With the exception of trade schools, the purpose of education is not to give you hard skills that you will use everyday of your life. The purpose, rather, is to make you a better rounded individual with perspective and insight on how the world works and how things have come to be.

Don't cheat yourself of the great foundation education provides you with to build the rest of your live upon. Take some advise from an older guy: you will use those seemingly insignificant lessons later in life. Your general knowledge will be reflected in all you do and say.

-prestige

TX Server Nerd
TX Server Nerd

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

{LBp}CrunchBite wrote:

its not stupid cause i know for a fact that there are alot of schools that hold many people back from learning just because they want to

eg. the school i used to goto taught me at a grade 7 level and i was in grade 10. i couldnt take been taught like a kid so i left and ive learnt about 20 times more then what i did there
boxorox
Kai Admirer
Kai Admirer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

[1up]SgtLegend wrote:
{LBp}CrunchBite wrote:

its not stupid cause i know for a fact that there are alot of schools that hold many people back from learning just because they want to

eg. the school i used to goto taught me at a grade 7 level and i was in grade 10. i couldnt take been taught like a kid so i left and ive learnt about 20 times more then what i did there

Well I'll say this: If English is your primary language, the schools you have attended have failed to teach you some basics.
SgtLegend
TX Server Nerd
TX Server Nerd

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

boxorox wrote:
Well I'll say this: If English is your primary language, the schools you have attended have failed to teach you some basics.

What is that supposed to be implying that i cant spell or something
[1up]Tycoon5000
Kai Enthusiast
Kai Enthusiast

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I said maybe because I think that the school system educates us on how to educate ourselves. We all know things that they sure as hell don't teach us in school. We learn from books, we learn from TV, we learn from life. Thats what I think at least. School teaches us many thing of course but I think that we learn a lot by ourselves.
[OG]-Anarchy-
Kai Admirer
Kai Admirer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

it obviously does

school isn't as much about the materials you learn...

but it's about the work ethic you gain to live throughout your life

Kai Admirer
Kai Admirer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

'its not stupid cause i know for a fact that there are alot of schools that hold many people back from learning just because they want to' - links please and evidence please

'e.g. the school i used to go to' - don't let your personal experience cloud your judgment

Schooling from a young age correctly builds not only mental skils, but social, physicial, health, awareness....

Feel free to start your own country where there are no schools and everyone 'teaches themselves', then sit back and enjoy a mentally challenged unsocial and non-developing soceity. Good luck getting to the moon buddy....

[1up]SgtLegend wrote:
boxorox wrote:

What is that supposed to be implying that i cant spell or something

And if you can't even understand box's obvious point about learning a second language been a valuable benefit and instead taking it as a personal attack then I would say your 'self learning' has been a resounding failure.

Please stop and 'think deeply' again, you are wrong.

TX Server Nerd
TX Server Nerd

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

i see where you are coming from Wiggy but there are alternatives to learning other languages like; Books, Tapes, Voice translations, Internet etc

prestige wrote:
The truth is that much of what you learn in school will not be the skills you use later in life either at work or at home. Still, all those lessons do influence your life latter in small but important ways. Subjects like History, English, and Art provide a context and help refine other things you do. Subjects like Math, Biology, Chemistry, and Physics provide a more technical ground work for things you do later in life.

In highschool, I studied Sciences and Maths. At University, I studied English. Now, I am 35 and working as a Manager, System Administrator, and Web Developer. None of my carrier roles are directly related to my formal education however I find I use all the skills from all the subjects I've studied.

I agree with prestige on that some things in school and collage can help you later in life but it all really depends if you are taught the subject the way its supposed to be taught. Eg. as i said before i was in grade 10 and was getting taught at a 7th grade level which really annoyed me and gave me the chance to go home, jump on the inet and start searching for things i was learning and i got to tell you i learnt alot more in 3 hours then what i did from one 3 of the weekly classes.
-MuffinDCC-
Kai Spammer
Kai Spammer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You appear to be just deriving your opinion from personal experiences but on the whole, school does more good than harm. It is just your particular circumstance which could make that statement, questionable.

Kai Admirer
Kai Admirer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Legend offering techniques which are themselves used in schools to teach language is not a valid justification of why self-learning is better than good schooling.

And you again offer your own personal experience of why schools are worse than self-learning - there are more people than just you being taught in schools.

Soceity throughout history, and indeed the animal kingdom, has shown that group learning is better and prompts faster developement that solo effort.

TX Server Nerd
TX Server Nerd

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

ok im starting to get a little sick of this topic and i made it so please lock it for me or at least delete it so i dont have to look at my shameful post
dukeuk76
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

[1up]SgtLegend wrote:
ok im starting to get a little sick of this topic and i made it so please lock it for me or at least delete it so i dont have to look at my shameful post

LOL, don't be put of by the constructive criticism. Most were just pointing out the flaws in your post. We are all individuals, no one is the same.
Whats good for you, might not be good for the next person.

Locked as requested!

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic