FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 New Kai, What gives? - Pictures included. View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Morglum
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ok downloaded the new Xlink, got my router setup as you can see...

NOTE: Router is a Linksys BEFSR41.

Picture #1.

I have Xlink config setup right too...

Picture #2.

Xlink will detect all my settings and my xbox in the diagnostics screens too...

Picture #3.
Picture #4.

Not sure why its detecting my xbox as retail only when i thought it detected it as retail only if it couldnt find a replacement dash, im actually using evox so i dont know whats going on there...

Also as you can see im able to ping people and have them ping me...

Picture #5.

I've actually exited my firewall, its not even running at all. So given all of the above i should be good to go, right?

Well WRONG! I cant see ANY games what so ever on my xbox, and neither can anyone see any games of mine that i try to host.

Am i overlooking something, whats going on. Someones got to be able to help me get this thing up and running. The old xlink worked fine Confused
[FUNK]
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Did you try running it with no port forwards? And take the 30000 out of the Kai deep port and replace it with a big fat 0 please.

Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have it working, atleast for now. Decided to turn my firewall back on and allow ALL outgoing connections on ports 0-65535 UDP. Soon as i did that in combination with setting the deep port back to 0, it worked, but only when i did both things. Alittle strange but i dont really care now because its working Wink

Thanks Very Happy

BTW, this new xlink pwnz, its so much faster than the old one. Great work guys. Cool
[FUNK]
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Glad you are up and running, and thanks. We agree that this build is way faster than any others in the past Wink

Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Morglum wrote:
I have it working, atleast for now. Decided to turn my firewall back on and allow ALL outgoing connections on ports 0-65535 UDP. Soon as i did that in combination with setting the deep port back to 0, it worked, but only when i did both things. Alittle strange but i dont really care now because its working Wink

Thanks Very Happy

BTW, this new xlink pwnz, its so much faster than the old one. Great work guys. Cool

As I've told a lot of people, DISABLING FIREWALLS DOES NOT OPEN PORTS. It merely keeps them blocked, and the firewall shuts off..

You've got everything set up correctly, except the Kai Deep Port which you fixed.

Disappointing that we put Help buttons in yet people still don't read them Crying or Very sad

Quote:
Configuration Items

Kai Port: Enter the port number that you forwarded (if required). If you don't need to port-forward, leave it as 0.

Kai Deep Port: Enter the port number that you Deep Resolution Server requires. If you don't know what this is, leave it as 0.

and

Quote:
Failed to configure: If you own an XBox, this message appears when you haven't initiated system-link traffic. Simply follow the guides above in Console Detection to have the XBox configure correctly.

For Gamecube and PlayStation 2 owners, the error is due to Kai's in-built DHCP server being unable to properly attach your console with its own IP address which Kai uses while connected to the Kai network. To solve this, you are generally required to stop the console from obtaining a DHCP IP address. To find out how to fix this, please visit the FAQ (section 3.8 XLink Kai detects my console but says that configuration failed? ).

Configured retail-only: This message appears for the XBox users only. It means that you will be able to play retail games only, and not homebrew titles, such as Quake2X and XLime.

Configured successfully: You're good to go! (As long as your network is reachable).

but anywho, that's life I suppose. Least you got it working.. Smile
TA-JudgeDredd
Kai Admirer
Kai Admirer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Just thought i'd add my experience here.

With my sygate firewall active, Kai detects my xbox as "retail" but I can not see games on Kai (I only tested RS3BA). If I disable the sygate firewall, the detection become "sucessful" and the game can be seen on the xbox.

I guess this is a firewall issue right? Just wondering why the Retail detection doesn't allow me to see games.

SS-CybrPunk
Kai Enthusiast
Kai Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm going to take a guess here based on what I know about networks and network communications.

I beleive that the reason this happens is because the initial packets sent out from the Xbox are broadcast packets which are not destined for a specific MAC address (the network address of the Xbox hardware itself, every network device has a unique MAC address). When you put your xbox into systemlink mode and search for a game the console most likely uses a broadcast address to advertise that it is looking for a game. These broadcasts are seen by the Kai engine because broadcasts are generally forwarded to all devices on a network segment.

After the initial broadcast, the system link would then start to use the IP address of 0.0.0.1 with a destination MAC address in the packet header. It's these packets that don't get forwarded by the firewall software due to the 0.0.0.1 IP address being recognized as an "Invalid Source IP Address". Most intrusion detection engines and firewalls will block this by default, thus why your engine can see the console but not establish good communications with it.

Again, this is just a guess on my part. TD and DF know much more about the network protocols that the Xbox uses. I have yet to look at a packet capture from one... it's probably about time I did though.
TheDaddy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thats sorta right.. the problem was this:

With the firewall disabled, it still blocks ports. EvoX etc. all ask for an IP address when they start - Kai tries to give them one. If that doesnt work (DHCP port / some other UDP ports) blocked between Xbox<-->Engine, then Kai will fall back to Retail Only - in which case it only tunnels 0.0.0.1 traffic.

Seeing an xbox as "retail only" is *NOT A PROBLEM* - it just means that you wont be able to play homebrew games like Quake2X which dont use the 0.0.0.1 syslink ip system.

The reason it worked for the guy, is that he opened all his ports Very Happy .. It would probably still work if he only opened port 3074 (the port used for 0.0.0.1 syslinking)..

Note to others: "Opening ports" in this particular discussion does NOT mean fowarding them on the router.. he had a firewall which was preventing the xbox talking to the PC - most people will not have this.

TD
TA-JudgeDredd
Kai Admirer
Kai Admirer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks CP and TD. Everything suddenly becomes clearer. Very Happy

/me looks at the back of the computer to figure out how to open ports......

SS-CybrPunk
Kai Enthusiast
Kai Enthusiast

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
me looks at the back of the computer to figure out how to open ports......

With the public key, of course.....
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic