FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Mac user having trouble connecting to Xlink Kai. View next topic
View previous topic
DanTheChief
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello, my name is Daniel. I recently acquired an XBox and I decided to get it up and running on Xlink Kai. I cannot, however, get it to work.

My ISP is running at about 700 kbps(will be up at 3 mbps tomorrow)

Setup:
One DSL Router and one wireless router. Both are hard wired to the Mac.

I have taken an ethernet cable, connected one end to the Xbox and the other end to my wireless router in one of the four connectors that will provide wired connection to any other thing that is plugged in. It's basically a little wireless router with a built in hub. the router is used to provide a wireless signal to a PC in my room and to an iPod touch, nothing else.

I open "kaiengine" and log in. I select XBox, first person shooters, Halo 2, North America and there are usually three or four servers. I don't click on any of then because I don't know what that does. Then I turn on the Xbox and sign in to my Halo 2 profile. I select System link and no games show up.

I don;t know if it's the way I have set up the Xbox to the router or I'm opening the program and the Xbox in a wrong sequence. What can I do? Any help will be appreciated.

I am using version 7.4.18 on an iMac G5 running OS X 10.5.6
SgtLegend
TX Server Nerd
TX Server Nerd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

One reason for the games not to be showing up is because it most likely cant send the game connection through the wireless connection.
DanTheChief
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, the Mac is hard wired. It is not on a wireless network. The DSL router is connected to the wall and to the wireless router. The wireless router is wired to the Mac. I don't know what else to do.
SgtLegend
TX Server Nerd
TX Server Nerd

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

"I have taken an ethernet cable, connected one end to the Xbox and the other end to my wireless router"

Is there any way you can hardwire your xbox direct to the macs router
(-TU-)Kovert-xX
Team XLink Clan Manager
Team XLink Clan Manager

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

[1up]SgtLegend wrote:
"I have taken an ethernet cable, connected one end to the Xbox and the other end to my wireless router"

Is there any way you can hardwire your xbox direct to the macs router

Legend: it is hardwired directly to the router. if you read what you bolded.

Daniel: check your diagnostics to see if your network is reachable. You may need to portforward. Also check to see that your console is detected.

There is no "proper sequence" so no need to worry about that.

on a sidenote, your DSL is probalby a modem, not a router. you have one modem, and one wireless router. Your network setup should go as follows:

Wall ---> DSL modem ---> wireless router ----> mac and xbox

good luck

-Kove

READ FOR HELP: http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=154029#154029

Yes, there is such a thing as a stupid question. BEFRIEND THE SEARCH BUTTON! HE IS WISE.
DanTheChief
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

(-TU-)Kovert-xX wrote:

on a sidenote, your DSL is probalby a modem, not a router.

Setup:
Wall ---> DSL modem ---> wireless router ----> mac and xbox

That is correct. I have one DSL modem and one wireless router.

I don't quite understand the setup. I know that everything is wired correctly. It is in that sequence because the mac is in the main "internet" port on the back of the ROUTER and the xbox is connecet to one of the extra "internet" ports via ethernet on the ROUTER.

Am I supposed to join a game on the computer before it (or any game) shows up as listed on the XBox under SYSTEM LINK (on halo 2)?

Thanks fot the help.
MeanMF
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The Mac should also be plugged into one of the four "extra" ports. The DSL modem goes into the separate one which is usually marked "WAN" or "Internet".
DanTheChief
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

MeanMF wrote:
The Mac should also be plugged into one of the four "extra" ports. The DSL modem goes into the separate one which is usually marked "WAN" or "Internet".

That is correct. It is connected to one of the extra ports. I wasn't home when I type that up so I apologize for that confusion.

EDIT: I noticed that when I power on my XBox it tells me that XBox Live is not available. Can that be a hint at what might be wrong?
GoldenGun
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

you may want to check two things.

1) when the Xbox is connected to the router and turned on, do you see two lights (one solid, the other flashing intermitatly) where you plug the network cable into the Xbox? they would be right above the RJ-45 (ethernet/network cable) port. IF you do not see any lights flashing, chec your cable and/or try a different port on the router.

2) IF you are getting lights on the back of your Xbox, start your Xbox and create a system link game in Halo 2.

A) Now go onto Kai and click on the magnifying glass, then the world Icon.

OR

B) If you are using the WebUI, then forget the magnifying glass and click on Metrics in the top center of the UI and then scroll down to the bottom.

Either location will tell you if Kai can see your Xbox.

If you have the lights on the Xbox but can't see it in Kai, you may still have a firewall up. I just helped a friend who had both Windows AND McAfee up...

If all this sails well, then we can eliminate it being a connection problem inside your network and move on. If you cannot get the lights on the back of the Xbox no matter what, I'm sorry but there is nothing you can do about this if your network port on the Xbox is bad Sad
DanTheChief
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

GoldenGun wrote:
you may want to check two things.

1) when the Xbox is connected to the router and turned on, do you see two lights (one solid, the other flashing intermitatly) where you plug the network cable into the Xbox? they would be right above the RJ-45 (ethernet/network cable) port. IF you do not see any lights flashing, chec your cable and/or try a different port on the router.

2) IF you are getting lights on the back of your Xbox, start your Xbox and create a system link game in Halo 2.

A) Now go onto Kai and click on the magnifying glass, then the world Icon.

OR

B) If you are using the WebUI, then forget the magnifying glass and click on Metrics in the top center of the UI and then scroll down to the bottom.

Either location will tell you if Kai can see your Xbox.

If you have the lights on the Xbox but can't see it in Kai, you may still have a firewall up. I just helped a friend who had both Windows AND McAfee up...

If all this sails well, then we can eliminate it being a connection problem inside your network and move on. If you cannot get the lights on the back of the Xbox no matter what, I'm sorry but there is nothing you can do about this if your network port on the Xbox is bad Sad

Thanks for your reply GoldenGun. I can see the little lights. One is solid and the other blinks. When I create a game (I'm using the WebUI) and click on metrics, this shows up.

orbital name: Planex Los Angeles
reachable: Yes
local ip: 98.112.216.177
local port: 30000
engine version: 7.4.18
pssdk/winpcap: OS X/libpcap
signed by: MeanMF
ethernet adapter: en0
locked: 1
up engine traffic: 0
down engine traffic: 2
up chat traffic: 0
down chat traffic: 0
up orb traffic: 0
down orb traffic: 0
pssdk/winpcap (again?): libpcap
mac cache entrie: 0
broadcast traffic inbound: 0
broadcast traffic outbound: 0
unicast traffic inbound: 0
unicast traffic outbound: 0
wireless SSID:

Found Consoles:

Xbox
0050F2D11382

It says it's reachable but I cannot detect any games nor can I see mine on Kai. Therefore, it has to be a network problem. I am running OS X and I don't know if I have a firewall, but I guess we can check that out.

I hope you can help me. Thank you!

(-TU-)Kovert-xX
Team XLink Clan Manager
Team XLink Clan Manager

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

sounds like this is probably the issue of a firewall/antivirus running. shut off any that you might have and then try it. Some will require an uninstall.

-Kove

Yes, there is such a thing as a stupid question. BEFRIEND THE SEARCH BUTTON! HE IS WISE.
DanTheChief
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Turned the router's firewall off and Leopard's is set "to allow any connection."

Still not working.

Will port forwarding possibly solve my problem? I think I'm running out of options.

I did fail to mention that my connection type is Dynamic, DHCP Server is Enabled, DNS is provided automatically from ISP, ICMP ping is unblocked,
AND THE KICKER: Halo 2 is updated to version 1.1. My wireless router's firmware is not up to date (remember that my Mac is wired to the router, it is not wireless)

Thanks!

GoldenGun
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm in the same thought that you may need to look at the firewall issue some more.

Have you posted this problem in the Mac forum? I have a Mac but don't use it with Kai so am not the best at trouble-shooting them Sad

As for the DHCP thing, most routers have a way of adding an IP to a MAC address (not Mac as in Macintosh. MAC address is a hardwired number asigned to each network card and is unique) perminantly. If you can set this up, port forward 30000 UDP to that address and that will eliminate another posibility.

And JUST to make sure, when you are looking for games, you are going like this:

1st person shooters--> Halo 2--> North America--> Some dudes room

If you stop in Halo 2 or North America, you won't see jack! If you do, they will be laggy games. Most ppl. aren't on till later in the evening anyway...

Good luck and happy hunting!

PS- see if you can turn on UPnP as well, it's a life saver!
DanTheChief
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes, I make sure that I join the game before I look for it under "System link" on Halo 2. And Yes, I follow that path.

I didn't know that you could port forward to a MAC address. Did I have to port forward to the Mac's IP address or to the XBox's IP address. (I know what MAC addresses are, don't think I'm mistaken)

Thanks!

GoldenGun
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I was just trying to be as clear as possible with my explinations, not condiscendingg Wink

But the answer is yes, you would forward the port to the IP address to your computer, not the Xbox. But to pull this off you need to have a set IP address, not one that could be changed on you. Hence the talk about the MAC address. Setting up a perminant IP address for your computer requiers knowing what the MAC address is.

Hope that clears it up for you. Refer to your router's manual on how to do this.

Good Luck!
(-TU-)Kovert-xX
Team XLink Clan Manager
Team XLink Clan Manager

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I would normally recommend portforwarding, however your network is already reachable. It surely wouldn't hurt to portforward or enable UPnP, but I doubt it will fix the problem.

My suggestion would be to try turning Leopard completely off. Alot of times firewalls/antiviruses tend to persist in blocking game traffic even when they are set to allow all connections.

-Kove

DanTheChief
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

(-TU-)Kovert-xX wrote:
My suggestion would be to try turning Leopard completely off.

Leopard is Mac OS X v10.5. It's an OS, not a firewall.

DanTheChief
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well guys, I feel that I've run out of options. I've either tried all the options and tested them correctly or tried them and configured everything incorrectly.

Am I out of options or am I just stupid and ignorant at networking?

DanTheChief
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Okay guys, thanks to all your kindness an patience I have fixed his problem. Thanks!

MeanMF
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Please post your solution so others who might have the same problem can benefit.. Thanks!

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic