FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Want to make a global difference??? View next topic
View previous topic
kj05
Team XLink Moderator
Team XLink Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

What is The ONE Campaign?
ONE is a new effort by Americans to rally Americans – ONE by ONE – to fight the emergency of global AIDS and extreme poverty. The ONE Campaign is engaging Americans through a diverse coalition of faith-based and anti-poverty organizers to show the steps people can take, ONE by ONE, to fight global AIDS and poverty.

Why is The ONE Campaign needed?
Right now, the US government is making decisions about how much money to spend on humanitarian assistance next year and the UK is poised to lead the world’s wealthiest nations at the G8 summit next July. By joining the ONE campaign, we will show our leaders that we want to do more to respond to the emergency of AIDS and extreme poverty.

What is the goal of The ONE Campaign?
The ONE Campaign seeks to give Americans a voice, to ring church bells and cell phones, on campuses and in coffee shops, for an historic pact to fight the global AIDS emergency and end extreme poverty. We believe that allocating an additional ONE percent of the U.S. budget toward providing basic needs like health, education, clean water and food, would transform the futures and hopes of an entire generation of the poorest countries.

Who founded The ONE Campaign?
The ONE Campaign was founded by Bread for the World, CARE, DATA, International Medical Corps, International Rescue Committee, Mercy Corps, Oxfam America, Plan USA, Save the Children US, World Concern, and World Vision, and works closely with the National Basketball Association, Rock the Vote, and the Millennium Campaign.

The ONE Campaign is supported by Bill and Melinda Gates and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

How does ONE link to international agreements to fight poverty?
ONE links directly to the international effort to achieve the Millennium Development Goals. 1% more of the US federal budget would help save millions of lives and be a major commitment towards achieving the internationally agreed upon United Nations Millennium Development Goals. If it is delivered, we would achieve 0.35% of national wealth going to Official Development Assistance - half way to the international commitment to achieve 0.7%. Longer term, so long as we can prove the money is working, the goal is for the US to continue to increase effective assistance until it meets the international commitment to give 0.7% of the national wealth. This is an appropriate goals for ten years time, or 2015, the deadline for achieving the Millennium Goals.

Who has signed The ONE Campaign declaration?
ONE participants include celebrities such as Bono, lead singer of U2 and DATA co-founder; Dikembe Mutombo, NBA All-Star and advocate for Africa; Michael W. Smith Grammy Award winning Musician; Agnes Nyamayarwo, Ugandan Nurse and Global AIDS activist, and representatives of national advocacy organisations such as Bread for the World, World Vision, GLobal Health Council, The Better Safer World Coalition, DATA and many others.

You can make a difference

*Dallas*
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I guess I could but I'm usually arresting them or questioning them ... never really thought about doing a campaign FOR them. good idea
[MF]superman
Kai Spammer
Kai Spammer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

|T.C.K|*Dallas* wrote:
I guess I could but I'm usually arresting them or questioning them ... never really thought about doing a campaign FOR them. good idea

I dont think you know what you are talking about. The ONE campaign is about helping under resourced countries in Africa. I highly doubt you've arrested Bono before.

Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Smile such efforts put a smile on my face

i am truly glad that you guys are pushing to make the world a better place to live

KUDOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy
(-AZZ2MOUTH-)
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I really think it is a good atmosphere to have people actually "trying" to make a difference. thank you for doin such a great job ONE.
Illuminated
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I like the idea and I'm glad something is being done about this, as usually it is just swept under the rug and never talked about. Smile

One question, why is this in general discussion? Does anything go here or something?
MassiveMastadon
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The idea is noble enough, but I am not cruel, I believe in Perter Farb's paradox, "Intensification of production to feed an increased population leads to a still greater increase in population."

Though it seems cruel to not feed hungry people, feeding them will only guarantee that there will be more like them starving next year, ad infinitum.

If we are talking about displaced peoples (refugees) that's a different matter altogether, but if we are going to feed a people who have not been able to feed themselves for the past hundred or so years, we will only be helping to increase their population, and by proxy, helping to increase their misery and suffering...

Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Illuminated, yep it's really great initiative to provide this campaign. When I was studying in the university, I remember the papers and essays we've written about these problems and issues. It seems like we can resolve these problems only together. Too bad I have not so much time now, and if I write my essay nowadays, I prefer to order this writing process to professional writers.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic