FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Final wireless answer please! View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
DIE-HARD
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

yes there are some cards that will *work*

but when you compair those to the ammount that will not work, it is much easyer to say wireless as a whole is a bad idea.

and it's a mess trying to help all these people with crazy wireless setups Razz

Freggle
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

TheDaddy wrote:
MAC translation on Kai is badly untested.. I dont mind saying..

If your kit works on XBC, I can make it work here - but you need to MSN me on flat235@hotmail.com

It might be quite involved (ie me making numerous test builds and asking you to run them).

But I would certainly be interested in trying..

TD

I like to help with those matter!
And, yeh; if needed, i'll try other builds also.
jdnidle
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I also would be happy to help with getting the wireless setup to work.
I successfully have a PC running KAI - hardwired to my Linksys WRT54G wireless router. XBox using the wireless G gaming adaptor working right now.

I am trying to get a laptop using a 3Com Cisco 350 Wireless Ethernet Adaptor running KAI to see My XBox that is using the Wireless G gaming adaptor wirelessly connecting to my Linksys WRT54G Router.

Basically, I just want to switch the machines that are running KAI. So that I can have a laptop right next to me in the living room while I am playing online.

Let me know if I can help.
Freggle
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

First step to know for sure that you're wireless networkcard should be working, is to test for the so called 'promiscuous mode'.

This mode means that an networkcard is capable to do packetsniffing and exception of datapackets.
Almost every plain network (wired version) card is capable to do this, but lot's of wireless cards not! Much times this is disabled i think for safetyreasons?! But that's just speculation.

Still there are wireless networkcards that are capable to work in this 'promiscuous mode'. Like those with TI (texas instruments) chipsets.
(US robotics and Dlink uses them for sure in thei're latest products, the turbo wireless cards)

Zyxel chipsets seems also to work. (mostly used on USB wireless 802.11b/g sticks)

To test if you're wireless network card is capable to work in 'promiscuous mode' you can use a packetsniffer program. I use EtheReal for instance.
You can find it at http://www.ethereal.com

Maybe others can help also with this matter?
Gonzilla
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I actually have an Asus WL-107g.

When I launch, XBMC, my laptop with this wireless card running Kai engine find the IP's adress of my XBOX and connect....Things should be working fine isn't it? Instead I can't see no games in the console.

Is it a problem with this MAC translating adress stuff with my wireless adapter or is it my Kai's configuration setup?... Confused
BubbaFett
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

nonzero wrote:
After a bit more reading I've had an idea - what do you think of this:

Wireless PC -> Laptop (using wireless access point) -> Hardwired to Xbox (using crossover cable)

The laptop would be running Kai so this should be fine - correct?

This is exactly what I'm attempting, and I can't get it to work. I suspect my router config. is causing some problems, but I'm not sure I'm bridging correctly either. Kai won't even start up. Sad My next steps are re-setting my router config, and starting over with bridge creation... And playing around with the wireless MAC address settings....

..this is hard. Wink
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic