FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Kai crashing during gameplay or upon login .... randomly View next topic
View previous topic
big_hoffa
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

On 10/29 around 10pm EDT, I was having the same issue as the original post. I was connecting to the US-East Servers. I could connect to the orbital, get to an arena, and start a game. Shortly thereafter, the orbitial connection would crash, but my game would stay connected. The error that I would get on the screen of the computer running the engine was the same as the first post:

"Your orbital server connection was lost. You will need to restart Kai. This happens for several reasons -- they are listed below: .... etc."

As long as I don't hit the "OK" button, the game continues to work. I think that the issue still exists. [/img]
TwoCents
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

[SaD]TizzO wrote:
I don't know if it's the same error.

But this happens when I fire up Kai and navigate to the arena I want, then launch the game and choose the systemlink option in the game Exactly at the moment I choose systemlink -> search for games (tried with multiple games) the PC client crashes and gives me a 'report to MS?' popup.

But the weird thing is, it doesn't happen every time.. Yesterday I couldn't use Xlink for an hour due to the above error (even when I first fired up the game put it in 'searching' mode, then fired up the PC client it crashed immediately), but afterwards I could play fine for at least 5 hours in a row with using both methods (first Kai then game, first Game then Kai).

Is this the same error we're talking about?

-tz

BTW my orb is 'EU core (advanced)'

Without wanting to divert from the core issue in this thread. I've had the same problem as [SaD]TizzO described earlier. I updated my network card driver and installed Windows XP's SP2, disabled Windows own Firewall and returned to McAfee's firewall that i had in use before SP2. The problem remained. In my case at the *exact* moment i press "Find a Game" in pgr2. I've tested this several times. And everytime i pressed that option the WAN connection between my router and ADSL modem disconnected and was brought up again by the router.

Even after stopping the firewall software in the system tray of Windows XP the problem remained. But... it turned out that the firewall software was also present in the "Local Area Connection Properties" screen, after disabling the McAfee firewall *there* the problem seemed to be solved.

I've installed a different firewall software program and the problem only occurs every now and again. When it happens i can see the WAN connection go and come up again. So the connection between the router and the ADSL modem is lost for a split second.

It seems that the stricter the firewall the bigger the risk of loosing the WAN connection?

Anyway, just wanted to get this of my chest after reading this thread. Hope this problem can get fixed. It still happens sometimes.
davidadrake
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

i get the same error, only i think i know exactly when it happened...

kai was connected, and i had set up my router to forward port 30000 with ip 192.168.0.3, but because of changes in my configuration, my ip was set to 192.168.0.6.

I changed the config in the router to make the ip 192.168.0.3 reserved my computer, so that all my port forwarding would be correct.

I did a repair on the network card, so the changes would be made.

as soon as i changed this, kai said that the connection had been lost, so i started it back up, and as soon as the ui would open, i would get the error that was pictured in the start of this thread.

I tried to change it back, but it won't work Sad
[SaD]TizzO
Team XLink Moderator
Team XLink Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

TwoCents wrote:
[SaD]TizzO wrote:
I don't know if it's the same error.

But this happens when I fire up Kai and navigate to the arena I want, then launch the game and choose the systemlink option in the game Exactly at the moment I choose systemlink -> search for games (tried with multiple games) the PC client crashes and gives me a 'report to MS?' popup.

But the weird thing is, it doesn't happen every time.. Yesterday I couldn't use Xlink for an hour due to the above error (even when I first fired up the game put it in 'searching' mode, then fired up the PC client it crashed immediately), but afterwards I could play fine for at least 5 hours in a row with using both methods (first Kai then game, first Game then Kai).

Is this the same error we're talking about?

-tz

BTW my orb is 'EU core (advanced)'

Without wanting to divert from the core issue in this thread. I've had the same problem as [SaD]TizzO described earlier. I updated my network card driver and installed Windows XP's SP2, disabled Windows own Firewall and returned to McAfee's firewall that i had in use before SP2. The problem remained. In my case at the *exact* moment i press "Find a Game" in pgr2. I've tested this several times. And everytime i pressed that option the WAN connection between my router and ADSL modem disconnected and was brought up again by the router.

Even after stopping the firewall software in the system tray of Windows XP the problem remained. But... it turned out that the firewall software was also present in the "Local Area Connection Properties" screen, after disabling the McAfee firewall *there* the problem seemed to be solved.

I've installed a different firewall software program and the problem only occurs every now and again. When it happens i can see the WAN connection go and come up again. So the connection between the router and the ADSL modem is lost for a split second.

It seems that the stricter the firewall the bigger the risk of loosing the WAN connection?

Anyway, just wanted to get this of my chest after reading this thread. Hope this problem can get fixed. It still happens sometimes.

Well 2cents, my problem turned out to be simple. Instead of autodetect and lock in the config file, I selected the actual NIC it uses and now no problems at all..

Killing peeps since '03
TwoCents
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

[SaD]TizzO wrote:

Well 2cents, my problem turned out to be simple. Instead of autodetect and lock in the config file, I selected the actual NIC it uses and now no problems at all..

Dutch: Bedankt voor die info [SaD]TizzO, maar dat had ik al ingesteld Sad
English: Thx for that info [SaD]TizzO, but i already had that configured.

Apart from this problem i sometimes can't find games (as mentioned in a lot of the other threads on the forum by others) and can fix this by rebooting the router *plus* the computer *and* the xbox. Think it's about time to buy a new router. For example the.... Linksys WRT54G (just a thought) Laughing
Kaffir
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Listne guys i do not mean to be an idiot or anything, which i probably already am for posting this, but i just thaught i would update you on my findings, i have exactly the same error as the one first listed in the topic starter, at login when i try to enter my username and password it immediately kicks me off and gives that same dialogue box.
I am almost sure that this is due to me being banned or something, and not only my name but also my home pc (however you can do that) cause i tried my username at a friend's house and it also gave the dialogue box, but his username worked, i then made a new username which worked at his hous but at my house it still gives the same message, conclusion is that my origional username and home computer are both blocked, and if it was not one of the main admin that visit here often it might be another one! So please help with advice!
dfunked
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 3:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

If your username was banned, you would not be posting right now Very Happy Bans are all integrated. Heck everything's integrated Very Happy

Now, some people have just reported this to be a random occurence, which goes away after a bit. I would also suggest that you choose teh actual NIC in the Kai Config. Tool.

I'm not sure *what's* causing this exactly, and it's a little hard to replicate. Maybe you can ethereal the connection for us, dump it out and send it to us so we can have a look at it.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic