FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Vista and Asus USB-N13? View next topic
View previous topic
hiead
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Last week, on newegg.com, I spotted an Asus USB-N13 wireless adapter for $19.99 with free shipping. The specifications tab specifies Xlink Kai support, so I ordered one as my current setup is not compatible with Kai.

Today I received the package in the mail. I haven't opened it yet, for fear that I may need to return it. The problem is this: on the side of the box it says "Xlink Kai Support (WinXP & Mac OS)." My laptop has Windows Vista Ultimate, and I'm wondering if anyone has confirmed this adapter to be working on Windows operating systems besides XP, before I open it to try it out.
Narolf
Kai Spammer
Kai Spammer

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

hiead wrote:
Last week, on newegg.com, I spotted an Asus USB-N13 wireless adapter for $19.99 with free shipping. The specifications tab specifies Xlink Kai support, so I ordered one as my current setup is not compatible with Kai.

Today I received the package in the mail. I haven't opened it yet, for fear that I may need to return it. The problem is this: on the side of the box it says "Xlink Kai Support (WinXP & Mac OS)." My laptop has Windows Vista Ultimate, and I'm wondering if anyone has confirmed this adapter to be working on Windows operating systems besides XP, before I open it to try it out.

http://linux-wless.passys.nl/query_part.php?brandname=Asus

Well it's yet to be reported in the list so not possible to know which chipset it exploits.

You should get a refund and buy an adapter which has already been compatible to work with Vista. You can find many of them at the same prize you paid for the Asus.

However, is your Vista a 32 or 64 bit?
hiead
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 2:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It is 32-bit.
Narolf
Kai Spammer
Kai Spammer

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

hiead wrote:
It is 32-bit.

Good to know. So you can buy any adapter in this list who has a guide for Vista:

http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=evo7:psp_adapters_setup_guides

Thus you won't have any problem to install it.
WildFire24
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I also have it and I think that Xlink Kai is supported but for some odd reason when ever I goto the advanced settings tab there is an option that doesn't have a description and I'm thinking that's where the option to turn PSP Xlink Mode On/Off should be.
Narolf
Kai Spammer
Kai Spammer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

WildFire24 wrote:
I also have it and I think that Xlink Kai is supported but for some odd reason when ever I goto the advanced settings tab there is an option that doesn't have a description and I'm thinking that's where the option to turn PSP Xlink Mode On/Off should be.

How is this option called?

I don't get what you mean by "description". The advanced tab's options don't have any "description". They only have a setting when you highlight them.
WildFire24
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

By description I mean where normally a feature in the advanced settings tab according to some guides where "PSP Xlink Mode" is left blank and says "No Description".
Narolf
Kai Spammer
Kai Spammer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

WildFire24 wrote:
By description I mean where normally a feature in the advanced settings tab according to some guides where "PSP Xlink Mode" is left blank and says "No Description".

Your assumption may be wrong and this "no description" just means there is nothing. Or your adapter isn't properly installed thus some options can't show up. Can you use it without any problem?

http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=evo7:how_to_tell_if_you_adapter_will_work_on_xlinkkai

You tried the promiscuous mode's test (third method)? What does it give?
WildFire24
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I was checking the list and I saw that mine was "Asus 802.11g/n WL-160N man: 0b05 dev: 1723 Ralink rt2870 green Vendor driver included in the staging tree as of Linux kernel 2.6.29-rc1. Firmware from userspace required kernels as of 2.6.30.". So I'm guessing it is supported but the question remains is why isn't it working on Vista 32 Bit (I haven't got the one with Vista 64-bit as it isn't hooked up as of yet)?
Narolf
Kai Spammer
Kai Spammer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

WildFire24 wrote:
I was checking the list and I saw that mine was "Asus 802.11g/n WL-160N man: 0b05 dev: 1723 Ralink rt2870 green Vendor driver included in the staging tree as of Linux kernel 2.6.29-rc1. Firmware from userspace required kernels as of 2.6.30.". So I'm guessing it is supported but the question remains is why isn't it working on Vista 32 Bit (I haven't got the one with Vista 64-bit as it isn't hooked up as of yet)?

The key part is in bold. :p

Here is the guide to follow:
http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39724

Guide is meant for 7 but you shouldn't have any problem applying it on your Vista, interfaces being almost the same.
WildFire24
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

That actually worked but how do I do SSID swap?

Edit: NVM I figured it out so everything is OK.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic