Boomshay
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Is your network reachable? Yes
Are you using a port-forward? No
Is your console being detected? No
Brief description of your network setup: see below
Do you use a software firewall? What brand? Have you made any changes to it? No software firewall
Operating System? XP
Problem description? Can connect and see pings but console isn't detected.

[KaiUserConfig]
kaiUsername=
kaiPassword=
kaiPort=0
kaiDeepPort=0
kaiAccept=LOCAL
kaiTimeout=NOUI
kaiNIC=0
kaiLaunch=BOTH
kaiHomebrew=OFF
kaiPAT=OFF
kaiAutoLogin=ON
kaiWireless=
kaiUI=Default

I have a Netgear 802.11g router with the PC running Kai wired to it. The XBox is wired to a switch which is connected to a Netgear bridge, model WEG101. I can connect to my XBox to FTP, etc but the console isn't detected by Kai. However, I am able to connect to the Kai server and see pings and chat.

I ran a long cable into the other room connecting the XBox directly to the router and that worked fine so the problem is with the bridge. I tried to enter the bridge MAC and XBox MAC (a 0050F2 addr) in the config but that didn't help. I also used a sniffer to verify that I'm using the correct MAC. I see the UDP broadcast from 0.0.0.1 on port 3074 but Kai doesn't seem to pick it up.

Suggestions?
SS-CybrPunk
Kai Enthusiast
Kai Enthusiast

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We're currently investigating a similar request from another user who is also using a WGE101 netgear wireless ethernet bridge. Is it possible for you to simply connect the console to the router with a network cable and test for us? I'm thinking there may be something specific about that bridge.

edit: good job on reading comprehension... I see you already tested with a cable and it worked fine... we'll have to investigate a bit further about that bridge
Boomshay
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Also, I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it but I have another device attached to the bridge as well, a DirecTV. I found a KB article from Netgear that suggested plugging in the game console first, then all remaining devices; however, this didn't seem to have any effect. I tried unplugging the DirecTV temporarily to see if it made a difference but it did not. Please let me know if you need me to try anything else.

And if it matters, I'm using firmware v3.0RC1 on that bridge.
DIE-HARD
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yup that does matter.

The bridge was probably only made for one device.

MAC translation won't work if there are two devices on the other end of the bridge.

Try running the wireless config in MS Dash, see if that will get you going though it is ment to be used when it is on the bridge alone as well.

Boomshay
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've seen your suggestion to use the MS Dash for wireless config in other posts but I'm not sure what you're referring to. In my MS Dash there is no mention of wireless anywhere.

If multiple devices on the bridge is a problem, shouldn't disconnecting one solve that? Whe I get home I'll have to try this again, cycling the power on the bridge after disconnecting the ReplayTV, to see if this makes a difference.

Is this something that can be fixed in future version of Kai or am I SOL?
TheDaddy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Its possible that your bridge needs translation - and that Kai's translation is broken..

I'm going to look into this stuff tonight - I might be posting back here with a new kaiEngine.exe for you - or even better, if you have MSN, we can use that..

Cheers

TD
Boomshay
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Cool. I don't use MSN but I will check back here later to see if you have an update. Thanks.
funkymonkey
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Feedback from Netgear Support
Support Request
22/10/2004 12:03:00

My xbox is connected through the WGE101 then wirelessly to DG834G router. I can successfully access xbox live. In this instance the xbox is using dhcp to dynamically get an ip address (eg 192.168.0.3) . The xbox and the bridge are visible as connected devices from the router. The problem occurs when I wish to play "systemlink" (not xbox live) games with other xboxs on my LAN. In this instance my understanding is that the xbox does not request an IP address and simply broadcasts on the LAN with an ip address 0.0.0.1 looking for other local xboxes. If the xbox is hardwired to the DG834G router then it is detected ok, however when I attempt to use the bridge for these "syslink" / LAN games the router is unable to detect the xbox. It seems that the WGE101 is not forwarding the xbox network broadcast/traffic.

22/10/2004 12:31:00
Sir, We have had this error reported to us previously, and unfourtunatly, Systemlink uses a Microsoft proprietary protocol which is not supported over 802.11 wireless networks. You will probably find that this does work if you use your WGE101 in adhoc mode with another WGE101 but it will not work via an access point in infrastructure mode... Regards, Denis Cooper UK Support

========

So the only possible solution I can think of is having a WGE101 wired to the router and set into Adhoc mode, plus another WGE101 in adhoc wired into the back of the xbox.

Any other ideas? (other than running a wire)
DIE-HARD
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

wait for the word back from TD on MAC Translation.

Boomshay
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

DIE-HARD wrote:
wait for the word back from TD on MAC Translation.

Has there been any more news on this?
dfunked
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 3:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

BUMPing this up. Want to get this more attention and sorted.
[FUNK]
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Whats the status on this problem?

Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I still haven't received a solution to this.
[FUNK]
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Okay so send me a MSN when you want to do some troubleshooting. funk@rs3-ssc.com

Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Last I heard, TheDaddy was going to check to see if MAC translaction was busted. I haven't seen a new engine since I originally posted so I assume he hasn't gotten around to it. There was another dude with the same bridge having the same problem: http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2684 That thread is closed as solved but only because it looks like he gave up.
[FUNK]
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Okay no problems, everyone should be able to insert - click - and play on Kai. Like I said, hit me on MSN and I will do my best to help. If that doesn't work at least we would have done that much more to get it working so an admin can take over from there if I fail. Wink

If we still need the MAC translation stuff, I can get TheDaddy on it after we try some stuff.

Kai Enthusiast
Kai Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Funk, TD has already stated this is most likely a translation problem. I spent numerous hours helping the "other guy" with this bridge with no luck. Wait for TD to look into it - the WGE101 does not work in Kai.
funkymonkey
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

WGE101 Update / Solution?

After submitting this problem to Netgear I re-read the several of their other support notices and realised the following...

When the WGE101 is powered-up, it takes the MAC address of whatever is connected to it. Originally I powered it up connected to my laptop so that I could configure the network security options. Of course this set its MAC to the NIC of my laptop PC. As a result it didn't have a MAC in the expected XBox range.

I have just turned on my XBox letting it power to my Evox menu (thus setting an status IP and showing itself on the network), wired it to the WGE101, then disconnected and re-connected the power to the WGE101. Moments later I checked the devices connected to my Netgear Router and sure enough the WGE101 has now taken my Xbox MAC address.

I started up Halo in Multiplayer, started looking for games, I then fired up Kai which now shows the network reachable and XBox Detected!!!

Problem not completely solved as I did not see any games in Halo, but this is my next challenge - could just be I've not set the router security up properly yet.

Hope this helps peeps Wink
dfunked
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

funkymonkey wrote:

After submitting this problem to Netgear I re-read the several of their other support notices and realised the following...

When the WGE101 is powered-up, it takes the MAC address of whatever is connected to it. Originally I powered it up connected to my laptop so that I could configure the network security options. Of course this set its MAC to the NIC of my laptop PC. As a result it didn't have a MAC in the expected XBox range.

I have just turned on my XBox letting it power to my Evox menu (thus setting an status IP and showing itself on the network), wired it to the WGE101, then disconnected and re-connected the power to the WGE101. Moments later I checked the devices connected to my Netgear Router and sure enough the WGE101 has now taken my Xbox MAC address.

I started up Halo in Multiplayer, started looking for games, I then fired up Kai which now shows the network reachable and XBox Detected!!!

Problem not completely solved as I did not see any games in Halo, but this is my next challenge - could just be I've not set the router security up properly yet.

Maybe nobody was hosting? Or maybe you have a Halo copy that's not compatible with whoever was hosting? Try another game. Anything but Halo Very Happy

Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

funkymonkey wrote:

I verified this and it works, plus I was able to play a few games of Halo 2.

There is still a problem with this in that as soon as you turn off the XBox, the bridge assumes the MAC of the next active device it can find which in my case is a ReplayTV unit. Theoretically, shouldn't multiple MAC address entries in the wireless translation section solve this?

Do other brand wireless bridges assume the MAC address of an active device as well? Also, as my first post indicated, I'm able to sniff traffic and the XBox MAC is clearly visible even when multiple devies are active on the bridge, yet XLink doesn't pick it up. Is there any hope for this?

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic