Regarding Version 7.4.21 of Xlink Kai and PS2 support View next topic
View previous topic
lazyhobobum
Kai Enthusiast
Kai Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Fri May 20
XLink Kai 7.4.21 w/ PS3 Support is being tested by the Team. Public release soon. Kai 7.3 to be disabled/discontinued.

Saw that on the homepage. I am hoping this means PS2 support will be added as well? That would be nice since we have had to use version 7.3.1.7 of xlink kai for a couple years.If this version is disabled without version 7.4.21 having ps2 support, we will have no way to play playstation 2 games on xlink kai.

The statement that version 7.3 will be disabled/discontinued worries me though. I hope that immediately upon the release of version 7.4.2.1 version 7.3 isn't disabled since version 7.3.1.7 is the newest version that works with ps2 and ps3. Hopefully you guys will allow a long time of testing the new version before the old version is cancelled.

I realize that xlink kai is free software that is created by volunteers. I just wanted to let you guys know that people still do care about using Xlink kai for Playstation 2 and a small but active community still exists for playing Playstation 2 on Xlink Kai. I can help test the new version for ps2 support when it comes out.

www.youtube.com/user/Lazyhoboguy

A List of All My Xlink Games: http://lazyhoboguy.webs.com/My%20Online%20Video%20Games.htm
xXxSeraphimxXx
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I would also like to know the fate of PS2 support for the newer editions of Xlink.

While not as popular as the PSP or the Xbox consoles, there are a group of us who still enjoy playing networked PS2 games. Xlink is also one of the few solutions we have for playing games that have had their official servers terminated, such as TimeSplitters: Future Perfect or Jak X: Combat Racing. Just this past weekend, we had a full game of Future Perfect. It felt like I was back on EA's servers, enjoying the game as I did back in 2005.

Dropping PS2 support would deal a large blow to our community. Sure, there are other alternatives, and some games still have their official servers up, but Xlink is the standard for our community. Everyone can agree to use Xlink since it is the most user-friendly option we have available. Transitioning everyone to other options would mean throwing out all of our expertise with Xlink and, in a sense, starting from square one.
[tHc]hicaow
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

just a guess and maybe i'm wrong but the PS3 and PS2 connect in a very similar way , i'm guessing one fixed the other without knowing ..

lazyhobobum , if i pm you the new release can you test it today / tomorrow ?

find more people to play PS2 and GC on kai at www.onlineconsoles.com ... www.ps2onlinegaming.com
lazyhobobum
Kai Enthusiast
Kai Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

[tHc]hicaow wrote:
just a guess and maybe i'm wrong but the PS3 and PS2 connect in a very similar way , i'm guessing one fixed the other without knowing ..

lazyhobobum , if i pm you the new release can you test it today / tomorrow ?

Yea I know the ps2/ps3 work similarly on xlink kai, but would still want to be sure by testing with ps2.

Yea I can have other people try to test it with me later today and the next day.

A List of All My Xlink Games: http://lazyhoboguy.webs.com/My%20Online%20Video%20Games.htm
DyinTryin
Team XLink Moderator
Team XLink Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes, the PS2 and PS3 code are one in the same. A PS3 that support backward compatibility with the PS2 will be able to play games over XLink with other users on regular PS2s. Nothing wrong with formal testing though.
lazyhobobum
Kai Enthusiast
Kai Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well 3 of us tried out this new version of Xlink Kai with Timesplitters: Future Perfect on Playstation 2. We were able to see each others games and we could join them as well. Just this fact is encouraging because the previous xlink kai version wouldn't even let us do that.

We played several games and everything ran about as well as on version 7.3.1.7.

[tHc]hicaow
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

cool , thanx for testing .. release should be soon.

find more people to play PS2 and GC on kai at www.onlineconsoles.com ... www.ps2onlinegaming.com
karmic
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

How did you do on test in version 7.4.21?

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic