Last edited by Maxaxle on Sat May 28, 2011 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maxaxle
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Narolf wrote:
Quote:
The adapter is only identified as a "USB2.0 WLAN" still

http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=evo7:how_to_tell_if_you_adapter_will_work_on_xlinkkai

First method.

If you can get the Psp Xlink Mode then the installation worked; quite out of the blue most likely but it did.

Garrr, you're not getting it! The problem is that my computer does not recognize the adapter, so I am unable to turn on/off settings for it!

-Ghost Recon Predator
-MGS: Peacewalker
-GTA: Chinatown Wars
-Twisted Metal: Head-On
DS:
-Korg DS-10
-Dirt 2
Narolf
Kai Spammer
Kai Spammer

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Garr, garr, you aren't very clear either.

Quote:
P.S. The adapter is only identified as a "USB2.0 WLAN" still.

Which I took as your adapter was showing up in the device manager as an adapter (= "WLAN" stick). I still don't know if you can get into the properties of this one to figure if the Psp Xlink Mode is present or not.

You won't get anywhere if you turn angry. Installing an adapter on Xp is a piece of cake, there is no compability issue of any sort unlike on Vista and 7. You might not even be having a problem, actually; you're just overlooking stuff.

If your adapter isn't recognized through the device manager, can you get to it through the "add new devices" wizard, at the very least? It's all about accessing the menu which lets you install the driver and, yet again, it's very easy on Xp.

I can make a new guide for that particular adapter on Xp if you want. It doesn't take much time.
Maxaxle
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Narolf wrote:
Garr, garr, you aren't very clear either.

Quote:
P.S. The adapter is only identified as a "USB2.0 WLAN" still.

Which I took as your adapter was showing up in the device manager as an adapter (= "WLAN" stick). I still don't know if you can get into the properties of this one to figure if the Psp Xlink Mode is present or not.

You won't get anywhere if you turn angry. Installing an adapter on Xp is a piece of cake, there is no compability issue of any sort unlike on Vista and 7. You might not even be having a problem, actually; you're just overlooking stuff.

If your adapter isn't recognized through the device manager, can you get to it through the "add new devices" wizard, at the very least? It's all about accessing the menu which lets you install the driver and, yet again, it's very easy on Xp.

I can make a new guide for that particular adapter on Xp if you want. It doesn't take much time.

1. In this case, I use "adapter" and "WLAN stick" interchangably.
2. Although I point XP to the right driver (device manager -> right-click on the adapter -> properties -> [update driver] button), XP refuses to use said driver for some reason or another.
3. Perhaps there's a problem with the newest version of the driver...? It's not my scapegoat or anything, but it could pose a problem.

-Ghost Recon Predator
DS:
-Korg DS-10
-Dirt 2
Narolf
Kai Spammer
Kai Spammer

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

http://fr.driverscollection.com/?file_cid=40847533584b20f3a4baf008b0a

Download the driver (enter the code at the bottom of the page) then install it manually ("[update driver]") applying the first part of the following guide:

http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=206932#206932

The path will be utilitydriver(blabla)/Drivers/Windows XP/x86/rt2870.inf .

I checked the source and it does have the Psp Xlink Mode.
Maxaxle
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Narolf wrote:
http://fr.driverscollection.com/?file_cid=40847533584b20f3a4baf008b0a

Download the driver (enter the code at the bottom of the page) then install it manually ("[update driver]") applying the first part of the following guide:

The path will be utilitydriver(blabla)/Drivers/Windows XP/x86/rt2870.inf .

I checked the source and it does have the Psp Xlink Mode.

Let's see if this changes anything (hopefully it will)...

-Ghost Recon Predator
DS:
-Korg DS-10
-Dirt 2
Narolf
Kai Spammer
Kai Spammer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You're doing it wrong if it doesn't.
Maxaxle
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm doing it wrong.

I installed the Utility, it didn't work, I didn't bother copying the drivers into my DRVSTORE folder, and uninstalled the Utility. Saying "F--- it" to myself, I fixed all registry errors (CCleaner) and deleted the DRVSTORE folder. I also tried uninstalling the adapter (I thought it might delete the driver files, but apparently not).

I'm feeling pretty brain-damaged right now, how can I delete all history/drivers/etc. of the adapter and start over from the absolute beginning, before I even tried the CD?

-Ghost Recon Predator
DS:
-Korg DS-10
-Dirt 2
Narolf
Kai Spammer
Kai Spammer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
I installed the Utility,

I stopped reading here. I told you to install the driver MANUALLY (device manager>properties>update driver), not to run any utility or whatever. =/

Don't uninstall anything, don't draw lines as for what you've to do: just do what I said in my previous post.

I'll make a visual guide based on the Xp guide I referred you to for your adapter if you really don't manage to do it on your own.
Maxaxle
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Narolf wrote:
Quote:
I installed the Utility,

I stopped reading here. I told you to install the driver MANUALLY (device manager>properties>update driver), not to run any utility or whatever. =/

Don't uninstall anything, don't draw lines as for what you've to do: just do what I said in my previous post.

I'll make a visual guide based on the Xp guide I referred you to for your adapter if you really don't manage to do it on your own.

Narolf wrote:

Narolf wrote:

visual guide

If that wasn't extremely nice and helpful of you to offer, I'd find it offensive.

Also: I *tried* to install the drivers manually, but it was pointless. Stupid Windows refuses to recognize that THE DRIVERS WILL WORK.

Me:
Device Manager -> Adapter -> Update Driver -> Search Manually -> [Driver folder] -> Next
Computer: Drivers Not Found Blah Blah Blah Try Again Elsewhere Blah Blah Blah
Me: Mad

-Ghost Recon Predator
DS:
-Korg DS-10
-Dirt 2
Jiggah
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Let me bust out my netbook to see the issues with the driver installation. If I recall correctly the way the drivers are setup in XP for Ralink drivers have changed.

Here's the solution for XP:

You're going to have to edit the inf file to include your adapter.

First, you'll need to find the VID and PID of your adapter by going to the properties and the details section.

Then you'll want to go to the DRVSTORE/Ralink folder where the inf file is stored and edit that.

Under the Ralink header copy one of the lines and paste it at the end of that section then replace the VID and PID with your adapter's.

Finally, proceed to do a manual install and it should find the adapter and install the drivers correctly. If you're still unsure about it post up your VID and PID and I'll send you a modified inf of the newest 2870 drivers.
Narolf
Kai Spammer
Kai Spammer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Jiggah, I find it really creepy Ralink would screw up the compatibility of the chipsets over the updates; especially as for the Belkins since they ALL require Ralink's chipsets as they are very popular adapters.

But yeah, your method will work for sure. He can also install -still manually- the rt2870.inf provided on the CD.

By the way, since you're stepping around this forum again, shall I give proper recognition for this rather old post of yours.

It was the guideline of all my guides. Thank you for that.

_

Maxaxle, I didn't understand you were having the "The file doesn't contain informations for youe device" (or something along these lines) error. I though you just didn't know how to install the .inf manually.

I would recommend you install the rt2870.inf provided on the adapter's CD from now on but you can also apply Jiggah's tip if you want to use the newest drivers. Both drivers will perform as great: your adapter will work the same for Kai with the new driver ( = Jiggah's tip) and the old one ( = my method which is installing the CD's rt2870.inf).
Maxaxle
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I just noticed: there was no Belkin entry...odd...

Anyway, I'm going to try Jiggah's method first, even if his seems to be a lot older...

EDIT: It comes up as a "Dual Band Wireless N USB Adapter"...Probably a good sign. I used the following string:
Code:
%GenericWLAN.DeviceDesc%    = Ralink_3070.ndi,      USB\VID_050D&PID_705C

just after
Code:
[Ralink]
; DisplayName               Section                 DeviceID
; -----------               -------                 --------
%Generic.DeviceDesc%        = Ralink.ndi,           USB\VID_148F&PID_2870
%Generic.DeviceDesc%        = Ralink_2770.ndi,      USB\VID_148F&PID_2770
%GenericWLAN.DeviceDesc%    = Ralink_2070.ndi,      USB\VID_148F&PID_2070
%GenericWLAN.DeviceDesc%    = Ralink_3070.ndi,      USB\VID_148F&PID_3070
; Qcom
%Generic.DeviceDesc%        = Qcom_2770.ndi,        USB\VID_18E8&PID_6259

EDIT 2: Seems to get stuck attempting to copy RaCoInst.dll into the System32 folder...probably just a glitch...

EDIT 3: Device Manager got stuck for some reason. I forced it to close and the Adapter is identified as, like I mentioned earlier, "Dual Band Wireless N USB Adapter", obviously not what I'm using. Really starting to think that the middle of the string ("Ralink_3070.ndi") should be replaced with something else, or perhaps I need to copy the driver files off the CD.

-Ghost Recon Predator
DS:
-Korg DS-10
-Dirt 2
Narolf
Kai Spammer
Kai Spammer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
I need to copy the driver files off the CD.

Yeah, forget everything else and focus on the files provided by the CD. They will work for sure.

The driver you look for should be located according to a path like /WINXP/x86.
Maxaxle
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Narolf wrote:
Quote:
I need to copy the driver files off the CD.

Yeah, forget everything else and focus on the files provided by the CD. They will work for sure.

The driver you look for should be located according to a path like /WINXP/x86.

Thanks!

EDIT: They were actually in a folder, [CD drive]\Drivers\XP2K, but yeah, I was able to install them without a hitch, and now the adapter is correctly recognized.

-Ghost Recon Predator
DS:
-Korg DS-10
-Dirt 2
Narolf
Kai Spammer
Kai Spammer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Glad to hear you finally sorted it out.

Now then, for the final touch, apply the following guide from the end of the adapter's installation part (from when you have to activate the Psp Xlink Mode, etc.).

Best of luck.
Maxaxle
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Narolf wrote:
Glad to hear you finally sorted it out.

Now then, for the final touch, apply the following guide from the end of the adapter's installation part (from when you have to activate the Psp Xlink Mode, etc.).

Best of luck.

Thanks again! I just have one question, though. Have you ever dealt with a tech-based problem that took more than two weeks to sort out, like this one?

-Ghost Recon Predator
DS:
-Korg DS-10
-Dirt 2
Narolf
Kai Spammer
Kai Spammer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Network reachable, my F5D7050 is Locked, and my PSP is ready to join a multiplayer game of Gran Turismo...yet Kai refuses to detect it. What should I do?

What the...

Dude, which one do you have?

These two aren't the same adapter.

Quote:
Have you ever dealt with a tech-based problem that took more than two weeks to sort out, like this one?

Oh yeah.

However, that's merely because people are doing it wrong most of the time. They like to draw lines as for what they have to do instead of simply following the guide and reporting the step they went stuck at.

Quote:
Thanks again!

You're welcome, it's my pleasure to help.
meatl0af
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

the software on the ralink site is no longer available, can you upload it somewhere?

edit: i just went to the ralink site and downloaded the setup for the chipset rt2870 or whatever, then followed the guide. it worked, so i'm happy.

but the link still doesn't work, so update it when you get the chance, also thanks for the guide
Narolf
Kai Spammer
Kai Spammer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

They keep updating their links probably to prevent people from hotlinking them. I'll redirect to the Ralink's site and explain how to reach the drivers in both Belkin's guides.

Quote:
thanks for the guide

While I thank you as much for letting me know about it.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic