NigfaceMcGee
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Is your network reachable? [mostly yes, sometimes not yet]
[b]Are you using a router? [yes]
[b]Did you set a static IP on the PC running Kai?[yes]
[b]Did you forward port 30000 to the static IP?[no]
[b]Did you click the globe after forwarding to see if your network goes reachable?[no]
[b]What console are you using?[xbox]
[b]Is your console being detected? [sometimes]
[b]Brief description of your network setup:[a router/modem that all consoles are hooked up to directly via ethernet cable]
[b]Model numbers of the router, and modem?[]
[b]Do you use a software firewall? What brand? Have you made any changes to it? [Yes,Norton,no]
[b]Operating System? [Windows 8.1]
[b]Problem description?

Hi everyone, first i just want to say i think my situation is pretty peculiar to thank you to anyone who will read all this.

So ever since i first downloaded kai, i've been having this same problem with it... I'm able to play halo 2 without any problems whatsoever for days, and out of nowhere it just wont work anymore.

The first thing i did after getting kai a few months ago was try out halo 2. I could see and join matches easily, and even host my own. It was all pretty smooth. Then one day a fellow kai user and i got together and tried out ts2. I just couldn't see his game no matter what, so we tried to o a little troubleshooting. i noticed during this my network reachable status and found consoles was changing sporadically. The engine would sometimes shut down for no reason, and when id restart kai that's when i would notice this. Anyways ,after a while my network reachable status was consistently "no" and it couldnt identify a single console i owned so we figured i just needed to portforward. I tired this myself, but no progress was made

I asked my parents what they did the router info when it was set up. They both said that they had picked it up themselves from comcast when our last one crapped out, and supposedly it came without any info. So without my username and pass for the router i was stuck. I did try to read the portforwarding manual and get the default username and password but that didn't work either. After this, i called and tried to ask for it directly from comcast. The first guy i talked to gave me some info, but it was really just the default user/pass i had seen before. I tried once more, and i actually recieved a pretty long string of numbers for both this time, but that didn't work either. I figured without being able to login to my router i was screwed so i pretty much gave up.

Fast forward to a few days ago... i had some free time so i decided id try it again. This time though, i would just mess around with some diagnostics, almost certain i was just wasting time. I went into the network settings, and noticed something that said "enable PAT". i clicked the question mark, not knowing what it was and got this

"i don't know what this really does but sometimes it helps people connect if its on"

fuggit. lets go for it. I then enabled it, and voila. Halo 2 was friggin booming. i played a ton of matches and then noticed in diagnostics mode it had identified all of my xbox consoles, and my network was very reachable. I tested out all the other consoles, and they could hop into kai games no problem. I didn't try any other games, as my friends and i were pretty psyched. We met up and ended up playing halo2/kai for a while and then they split. The next day i booted kai up and had no problems. I was able to play consistently, with all of my consoles identified, up until the day after that.

This is where it got really messy. Kai just wasn't working at all. i would try to boot up the ui, nothing. then the engine. nothing. vice versa? nothing. They would just pop up for a split second as a white borderless screen and then disappear. i looked it up here and eventually thought the best thing to do first would be to just uninstall, reinstall. So i uninstalled kai from my program files and then went to download it again from the site. I used the windows download button as i did before, and the download came up in the corner. However when i opened the file up, it would give me the same screen that it did when i was uninstalling it. Thus only giving me the option to repair it or uninstall. I went back to the program files to see what was up but the xlink kai file wasnt there. Im not computer savvy so i was clueless. I ended up just downloading it like 5 times and clicked uninstall each time it popped back up.After a long wait period, i finally got the normal setup screen to come up when i opened it, and i downloaded it again. After this everything was fine again, according to the diagnostics. I couldn't play any games , even though it found all my consoles and my network was reachable. I gave up once more. ( i did make sure to go back and put PAT back on after redownloading if that's any help)

Finally, i came back to it for a last round. I wanted to get on at this point simply because of how much time i spent researching all the previous problems . First i opened up diagnostics and saw that i was reachable, and it identified one console this time( it was the one i was using so i figured no biggie ). I then went to the arena. joined halo 2s arena, then the latin american servers, and then retros or whatever its called (sorry). So basically, i loaded up everything as usual. However, once i opened up "retroes" i got a "C++ visual production" error or something like that. It said that something caused the ui to be terminated in an unusual way . Then, as i was typing this, i went back to diagnostics and it said that i'm reachable , and all my consoles are congfigured. I also tried keeping the engine open while loading the ui seperately and it just closed the engine window instead.

What is going on? Is it all really just the portforward? If so why can i play at random times during the day? why is my network reachable status always changing? I'm sorry if some of my stuff has been answered. Trust me i've done so much time researching my router/computer problems and browsing the forums that i just want to get this solved.

PS. i don't want to reset my router to get a new username/pass. My friend who has taken a bunch of computer courses and is a solid programmer( ikik not the best source for info) advised against it, saying that i would have to set up all my devices again. I had to google how to get into my program files so i probably won't even touch that one.
Once again i know this is a lot, but if anybody could help me out id greatly appreciate it. im a huge gamer and i would love nothing more than to really become a member of this community, i just need a tooooon of help
TheDominator-
Team XLink Moderator
Team XLink Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You probably need to just port forward. Did you make sure you look up default password and username for router you currently using? Worse case if someone changed you probably just need hold down reset button and then set everything up again. Could use same access point and WiFi password for it easy for people to re-connect to router after you reset it.

As of reason why you don't see your Xbox as detected all times if you are using WebUI and if you refresh web page you won't see your detected game console anymore.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic