FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 So, about connecting two systems at once, via xlink... View next topic
View previous topic
Shanzenos
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I've made it work, and it's stable when it finally works. Problem is that it takes a long time, if at all, to get it to work. I was wondering though, if it should even be possible with kai.

The setup I got it working with, was my laptop connected to wifi and the Ethernet (as I connected it to the router/modem combo comcast provides as it's standard model) from it.

What I think is going wrong:
I think, the problem may have been that I only set the wifi adapter to a static IP, and using the wifi and Ethernet both at once causes me connection issues sometimes already, plus the fact only one of those connections is static (what I was having doing this).
However, I don't know how xlink picks up and tunnels the consoles, (I was using 2 xboxes). Does each system require it's own IP, or can a system link connected group all connect from the same device running kai?

Overall, my first and foremost question is, can I run 2 systems at once on Kai, and if so, how? And am I doing anything wrong in my current setup for trying to get both on at once? And lastly, is what I think is going wrong, what is actually going wrong? My post is kind of erratic I know, it's late at night here, lol. If anyone can help with any of these questions, I can elaborate on them to the best of my ability.
nextgenrules
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The new Comcast modem/routers are a b**** to say the least (not just for kai, but in general). I dont understand the way you explained your current setup. Can you explain in more detail please? Also are these original xbox's you're trying to connect or 360s?

Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

My current setup is actually quite different. This was a little test, basically to see if I could get two xbox's online with kai at once on the same system link group. For clarity I'll call the test setup just that, the test setup, and what I normally use the default.

My default setup is just a laptop running Kai connected wirelessly, with a cat-5 Ethernet cable connected to whatever system I'm on with Kai.

The test setup I tried for two systems, since I no longer have any more desktops, was to use the laptop plugged directly into the router/modem, while still connected to the wifi from that same router/modem. Both systems were plugged directly into the router/modem with Ethernet cables.

This has worked, but proves to be pretty damn unstable in regards to the laptop's own internet connection. One factor I should note is that the laptop's static IP was only setup on the wifi connection, and not the local area connection (Ethernet port, which gets internet if I plug it into the router).

It may also simply be the fact I have the wifi and cable connected at once and only the wifi has a static IP, so I'll try shutting the wifi adapter off and setting the wired connection to a static IP instead.[/b]
nextgenrules
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Why not just wire both systems directly into your router? In theory, that should work

Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Exactly what I did. Problem is that it's extremely unstable. I think the issue is the fact I only have a laptop to do this on, not a desktop. Unless xlink sees both xboxes as separate connections, but I don't believe it does.
nextgenrules
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ah okay, because in theory, that should work, but it sounds like there's some sort of conflict going on where xlink kai doesn't know how to handle two at a time. This would be something that staff would have to chime in about...

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic