FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Asus USB N13 Wireless Adapter on Windows 7 64-bit View next topic
View previous topic
hadouzero
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

ASUS USB-N13 Adapter Wireless-N

The Asus USB N13 Wifi adapter apparently does not support xlink kai right off the package for windows 7 users (I have a 64 bit, and I'm assuming it's the same for 32 bit users too). But after looking around these forums, I've found a solution posted by narolf. It is basically the same guide, though a bit shorter and his is for a belkin adapter, though the driver being installed is compatible with the asus as well. I've tested it and so far it works perfectly.

System
Windows 7 64-bit (guaranteed)

Things needed
- ASUS USB N13
- RT2870 Driver (download here http://www.mediafire.com/?vpdug741vx37ov9)
- Latest xlink kai software

Given Problem
- N13's drivers that came with it are apparently not compatible with windows 7/vista. After installation, there is suppose to be an option for "PSP Xlink Mode" under the adapter's configuration, but there's none.

Plan
- Install the driver for N13 to have the "PSP Xlink Mode"

Solution
0. Make a system Restore point, wouldn't hurt to take some precautions. Start > right-click computer > properties > system protection > create...

1. Plug in your USB N13 adapter, it'll install drivers on it's own, so just leave it.

2. Right click the rt2870 driver executable > properties > compatibility > check run this program in compatibility.. > windows xp (service pack 2)

note: rt2870 driver is named: IS_AP_STA_RT2870...4.0.0.0_061710_1.5.8.0WP_Free

3. Run the driver > check "install driver only" > finish

4. Get to the run command > type (to go to device manager): devmgmt.msc > Network Adapaters > right-click Asus 802.11n > properties > advanced tab > enable "PSP Xlink Mode" and "radio on/off"

5. Install and configure xlink kai to have Asus 802.11n as the Network.

You're done! All that's left is...

Connecting PSP to N13
This specific example is how to connect the PSP to N13 on MHFU. The whole point of turning the "radio on/off" on was to enable the USB to become a hotspot, so it could detect the PSP's wireless. We will connect the N13 to the PSP through the network control panel whenever a specific game is ready to go play online.

1. Turn on your psp and go to the gathering hall with wlan on.

2. Go to xlink kai's MHFU lobbies where you could connect to other people's gathering halls.

3. Go to Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings > right-click Wireless Network Connection 4 (or whatever Connection that has Asus 802.11n under it) > Connect

4. It will probably give you the list of things to connect to under your wireless icon on the bottom right (yea you could just ignore step 3 and just click the signal icon down there instead). Go under Wireless Network Connection 4 and connect to the one titled PSPXXXXXXXXX (X's are alpha numeric). This is the N13 detecting the PSP's wireless. If you don't find anythin like that, just wait a little bit, it should show in a few seconds.

5. YOU'RE DONE! You should be able to see players now on the gathering hall. You can see the status of the N13 back on the control panel saying "identifying...", this will be there for a few seconds and right after it will show "unidentified network", and this tells you it's connected. Everytime you leave the gathering hall though, it will disconnect, so when you're back on the gathering hall, follow step 3 and 4 again

References
http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39724
from narolf check that out for vista users

Last edited by hadouzero on Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:01 am; edited 2 times in total
giggyprince
Team XLink Moderator
Team XLink Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Good guide thx for the effort hope it will get a sticky.
Hawk_The_Slayer
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah thanks for your efforts. Not stickied as such, but in a sticky...This one Smile http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36540

Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

No probs!
alfredox123
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

sorry to necro but i recently got this usb and the link for RT2870 Driver is down, where i can get it? also im on windows 10 but this guide should work to right?
(KHB)xAYARAx
Team XLink Spanish Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Find a solution to help you with the new link.

(KHB)xAYARAx

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

alfredox123 wrote:
sorry to necro but i recently got this usb and the link for RT2870 Driver is down, where i can get it? also im on windows 10 but this guide should work to right?

try this link https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/NETWORK-CARD/MediaTek/MediaTek-RT2870-Wireless-Adapter-Driver-Utility-51250-1539173.shtml

codedwrench
Team XLink Developer
Team XLink Developer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

(KHB)xAYARAx wrote:
alfredox123 wrote:

try this link https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/NETWORK-CARD/MediaTek/MediaTek-RT2870-Wireless-Adapter-Driver-Utility-51250-1539173.shtml

This issue has been resolved already on Discord, but I think it's a good idea to have this information on our forums as well. We are working on a compatibility list that includes drivers here, https://www.teamxlink.co.uk/mediawiki/index.php?title=PSP_WiFi_Adapters .

So far on Windows 10 nobody has been able to get WiFi adapters to work with XLink Kai yet for PSP traffic, the AdHocToUSB alternative does work on Windows 10.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic