klobas
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Is your network reachable? Yes
Are you using a port-forward? Yes
Is your console being detected? No
Brief description of your network setup:

I have a NetComm NB1300 ADSL Modem Router connected to an 8 port switch. The IP address of the Modem Router is 192.168.1.1. The switch is connected to a NIC on my PC with a straight cable. The IP of this card is 192.168.1.101. I have a modded Xbox running MXM as the dashboard. My Xbox has the IP 192.168.0.200. The Xbox is connected to my PC via a crossover cable into a 2nd NIC with the IP 192.168.0.2.

Do you use a software firewall? What brand? Have you made any changes to it? I have Windows Firewall ON and Norton Internet Security Pro 2004 Firewall OFF. I have tried disabling everything, but that doesn't make a difference.
Operating System? Windows XP SP2
Problem description?

I can see the arenas / games and pings on my PC Kai UI, but in the diagnostics mode I get the message "No consoles have been detected yet!". I can FTP to my xbox when I have the IP settings given above. But as I haven't been able to get Kai working I have changing the IP addresses after reading the tutorial at http://www.packetme.tk/ and have been having some strange problems. I know a lot about computers and xbox modding, but not much about networking, so I am a bit confused.

When I change the 2nd NIC IP address to 192.168.1.2 I can no longer FTP to my Xbox (i have also tried pinging it from command prompt and it never responds). Likewise if I change the xbox IP to 192.168.1.3 I can no longer FTP. Is the reason Kai is not detecting my xbox because of the IP addressing? Should all the network components be on the address ***.***.1.***? Or should they be different to the modem router? And why do these small changes stuff up my ability to FTP across when I have my dash running. Or are my Kai problems something else entirely? Help would be greatly appreciated as I am eager to play some Halo 2 multplayer on Kai. Thanks

[KaiUserConfig]
kaiUsername=
kaiPassword=
kaiPort=30000
kaiDeepPort=0
kaiAccept=LOCAL
kaiTimeout=NOUI
kaiNIC=2
kaiLaunch=BOTH
kaiHomebrew=OFF
kaiPAT=OFF
kaiAutoLogin=ON
kaiAllowBadNICS=OFF
kaiWireless=
kaiUI=Default
dfunked
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Disabling firewalls does not open ports, they always remain blocked. Best way to test is to uninstall NIS Pro and see what happens.

Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have completely uninstalled NIS Pro and that didn't help.

I have continued to test different settings and I have found the problem to be definitely due to my router. The facts are:

When my Xbox IP is 192.168.0.200
and NIC 2 is 192.168.0.2 i can ping the xbox but CAN't play on Xlink Kai. I suspect this has something to do with the IP's not being ***.***.1.***. Or does it not matter?

When my Xbox IP is 192.168.1.103
and my NIC is 192.168.1.102 I CAN'T ping my xbox. But when I disconnect my computer from the router I CAN ping the xbox (but obviously can't connect to Kai as I can't access the internet). There is nothing else on my network with the address of 192.168.1.103, so why are the packets getting "lost" because of the router???

I had a look at all the router settings but am completely lost because I don't know a thing about DHCP etc. Any suggestions?
klobas
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

my router settings screenshots can be found here:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~bklobas/
dfunked
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have to ask, was your XBox searching for games at all?

How many ports does that NetComm ADSL Router / Modem have? If it's got at least 2 LAN ports, bypass the switch and go direct to the router (connect the PC + the XBox to it).

Have a read of http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=13641#13641 to see why some switches can cause problems for you.

Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

i have sorted out the IP issues and tried a different network setup like dfunked suggested and Kai now works!!!

Thanks to dfunked for great help on messenger in helping explain some IP basics to a newbie.

Here's what I learnt for anyone else out there:

1. The IP addresses of the 2nd NIC and xbox have to be on a different IP subnet to the router. ie. an xbox IP of 192.168.1.102 if the router is 192.168.1.1 won't work (in a 2 NIC setup)

2. I still do not understand why the 2nd NIC setup on my system doesn't work. But i borrowed a straight cable from a friend and the xbox is now connected to the 8 port switch which does work.

3. Uninstalling and disabling a firewall are different things.

4. Being able to FTP to the xbox and connect with Kai are also different things.

Thanks for the help and see you on Xlink Kai!
[FUNK]
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Glad you are up and running. Changing to problem resolved.

Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Good stuff Smile

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic