FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Xbmc UI and Kai with Antivirus Software - FYI View next topic
View previous topic
dbldown768
Kai Enthusiast
Kai Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So yesterday i spend a few out wonding what the hell happend to my network and why i could not get multiple builds of the new 11-14 xbmc working. i finally gave up on the kai UI in XBMC so i decided to test the SMB - that did work either.

In thinking if anything changed i knew nothing change in the cfg on the xbox but i did had new system works 2005 to upgrade my old 2004 antivirus software. i was thinking it might have had something to do with that so i disalbe the software in the system tray. Still nothing. I spend time renaming my computer, because the message in XBMC was that the smb was returning was "invalied computer name". that didnt help.

Either way i figured the smb and kai problem had to go hand and hand and it did. just disabling the software didnt change a thing, i had to open the opions and uncheck 'internet worm monitoring'.

So just for a FYI for anyone who might have trouble - check your antivirus software - Especially Norton System works 2005. because of that shit i spend way to much time trying to figure what the hell was wrong.

Edit: sorry just noticed my post from late last night got pinned. just wanted to make sure users were informed.
[tHc]hicaow
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

norton is crap .. all of it , virus scanner / internet security, its all bloated badly coded crap .. mcafee is worse tho :] .. i say if you need a firewall for internet security get a router , if you need virus protection get AVG .. if you actually get virus's stop using Internet Explorer and Outlook, bleh that is some crap to, especially LookOut Express ..er i mean outlook express.. :] .. but ya what he said ^ ..

find more people to play PS2 and GC on kai at www.onlineconsoles.com ... www.ps2onlinegaming.com
dbldown768
Kai Enthusiast
Kai Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

well i have a router with a firewall, just good to have. i got a work around so what can u do. if people werent making viruses we wouldnt need any of this crap.

eitherway just something to keep in the back of your mind if u have problems.
redwolf
Team XLink Moderator
Team XLink Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

hicaow wrote:
norton is crap .. all of it , virus scanner / internet security, its all bloated badly coded crap .. mcafee is worse tho :] .. i say if you need a firewall for internet security get a router , if you need virus protection get AVG .. if you actually get virus's stop using Internet Explorer and Outlook, bleh that is some crap to, especially LookOut Express ..er i mean outlook express.. :] .. but ya what he said ^ ..

you need to see a doctor...dude you're on crack...weather's geting worst this time of the year...you might catch a virus... go see Dr.Solomon Razz

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic