FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Country Based Rooms View next topic
View previous topic
Kegsta
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 3:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

id like to see some rooms based on countrys rather than games, so you go to xbox -->country-->australia and meet with other aussie and organise which game you want to play.

other than that, kai is awsome so far. avalaunch implementation will rock aswell Smile
dfunked
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 10:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Heh, just give up mate Very Happy We always gotta play foreigners.... not that there's anything wrong with that at all Cool

You'd be looking at 200+ rooms if we did it like that, just silly IMO.
taz
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 12:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I wonder if it would be possible for you to filter it to only show you the # of users in the sub-arenas with the same country tag.

that way you could find people in the same country as you easier.

even if it is possible i dont think this would be that useful to implement.
TheDaddy

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hmm.. this is interesting.. Perhaps we *can* do something for countries... Maybe something off the main arena like "Regional Arenas" then just a few countries under that... europe and the USA done need it - but Asia / Oz would get some use out of it i think..

I'll stick that on - and we'll see how it goes..

TD
Kegsta
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

dfunked wrote:
Heh, just give up mate Very Happy We always gotta play foreigners.... not that there's anything wrong with that at all Cool

You'd be looking at 200+ rooms if we did it like that, just silly IMO.

not a country room for each game, just 1 room per continant would do.
Aus/NZ
N America
Europe

would only be 6 or so rooms, which would only work as a chat room, im not quite sure how it all works but i assume each room just tunnels the packets to eachother, nothing game specific. i.e if 2 people go into the halo room and load up timesplitters they will probably beable to play eachother.

i also like the idea of a country filter, but dont know how effective that would be at getting people.
TheDaddy

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah any game can be played anywhere basically...

What about something like this?

Arena/Regional Arena
Arena/Regional Arena/Australasia
Arena/Regional Arena/Europe
Arena/Regional Arena/Americas
Arena/Regional Arena/Pacific

then under each have like

Arena/Regional Arena/Australasia/GCN
Arena/Regional Arena/Australasia/PS2
Arena/Regional Arena/Australasia/XBox

Is this what we want do u think?

TD
Kegsta
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

sounds great to me
SenTinaL
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 4:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Australasia would be great thanks.

It is just not practical to try and play with anyone one from Europe, Canada or the USA from waaaaaaay downunder here in AUS and clicking thru each players info icon to see their ping is a pain.

Cheers,

SenTinaL
dfunked
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 5:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Australasia? Pfft... nobody calls it that Very Happy

Oceania would do, it'd cover all the islands as well (but as if they have broadband Sad)
SenTinaL
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 6:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Let's call it "DownUnder" or "Antipodeans" Laughing

SenTinaL
ANZSACs uNiTe.
afandieX
Kai Admirer
Kai Admirer

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

If we are going ahead with Country-based Arenas, I suggest that Australasia should be split into Oceania and Asia. This is because, although geographically closer, the pings between Asia n Aus/NZ are worst than pings between Asia and the US. Weird, but its true.

Additionally Halo in Asia in NTSC whereas AUS/NZ is PAL.
MagusIII
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 12:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If we are to have regional arenas, there should be a way to "sort" users by their country, like this:

[FUNK]
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 1:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

TheDaddy wrote:
Yeah any game can be played anywhere basically...

What about something like this?

Arena/Regional Arena
Arena/Regional Arena/Australasia
Arena/Regional Arena/Europe
Arena/Regional Arena/Americas
Arena/Regional Arena/Pacific

then under each have like

Arena/Regional Arena/Australasia/Australasia/GCN
Arena/Regional Arena/Australasia/Australasia/PS2
Arena/Regional Arena/Australasia/Australasia/XBox

Is this what we want do u think?

TD

Man that would be nice. But whats a Australasia? hehe, j/k TD and most of all DF.

Kai Admirer
Kai Admirer

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 2:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

i think we are getting overly complicated here.

i think filtering by ping is still the best idea, and using private rooms.

This will obviously eliminate those with high pings from you, and wont segregate people into even more obscure places.

if we stretch everything to be so defined, its going to be much harder to actually FIND a game with a number of people in it.

SenTinaL
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 3:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

jmel wrote:
i think we are getting overly complicated here.

i think filtering by ping is still the best idea, and using private rooms.

This will obviously eliminate those with high pings from you, and wont segregate people into even more obscure places.

if we stretch everything to be so defined, its going to be much harder to actually FIND a game with a number of people in it.

You may have a good point there....we don't want to make it impossible to find players, but for those in AUS / NZ etc, there is no point in seeing lots of games / servers we cannot join (it is actually quite frustrating), so the segregation (whilst unpleasant) still makes good sense (for us) atleast. Wink

Another point is that matching low pings may still not be able to play due ot the good old NTSC vs PAL issue (or is this for HALO only?) - as AUS / NZ have PAL and other parts of Asia have NTSC. Confused

Basically, I think I need to spread the word about your excellent program down here (happy to consider any suggestions/initiatives), as there seems to be a distinct lack of antipodeans making good use of all your hard (and hugely appreciated) work at the moment, but perhaps that is not such a bad thing are we iron out these little wrinkles Smile

SenTinaL
ANZSACs uNiTe.
PhilX
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 5:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I think By Regions is a good idea... or filter by countries... who knows, maybe one day...
that's why there r posts that say "Asia players" or "Southamerican players"... people really want these features... but it's up to you guys...
jmel
Kai Admirer
Kai Admirer

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 12:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

SenTinaL wrote:

You may have a good point there....we don't want to make it impossible to find players, but for those in AUS / NZ etc, there is no point in seeing lots of games / servers we cannot join (it is actually quite frustrating), so the segregation (whilst unpleasant) still makes good sense (for us) atleast. Wink

Another point is that matching low pings may still not be able to play due ot the good old NTSC vs PAL issue (or is this for HALO only?) - as AUS / NZ have PAL and other parts of Asia have NTSC. Confused

Basically, I think I need to spread the word about your excellent program down here (happy to consider any suggestions/initiatives), as there seems to be a distinct lack of antipodeans making good use of all your hard (and hugely appreciated) work at the moment, but perhaps that is not such a bad thing are we iron out these little wrinkles Smile

Yeah, just the games with system link but no live have ntsc/pal issues (brute force, halo). Thats why you see separate region arenas for those games.

If anything, I agree with filtering based on what is in your profile (country information like what is on this site/forum). I don't like seeing the arenas get all segmented. But this is merely my personal opinion. Whatever people decide they want is what I am sure TD will implement.

I completely understand your concern tho, and it should be addressed in some fasion.

Kegsta
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 1:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

how about this then, dont have it for the arena mode, but create seperate chat rooms for messanger mode, just like with the flags up the top, but have people automaticly put into the room matching there profile, so all australians using messanger mode would be in thge australia chat room by default.
taz
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 3:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Kegsta wrote:
how about this then, dont have it for the arena mode, but create seperate chat rooms for messanger mode, just like with the flags up the top, but have people automaticly put into the room matching there profile, so all australians using messanger mode would be in thge australia chat room by default.

I prefer everyone mixing together for chat, it would be a good idea that you automaticly get put into the chat area for your prefered language.

but at the end of the day what chat room you are in wont stop you from trying to connect to games that are hosted by people who are to far away from yourself.

also for some games, location is not an issue, and you can connect to people half way round the world from yourself with very little problem.

I have always liked the idea, of regional arena's to find players close to you, to help for games like Links 2k4.

but on the other hand, why have more arenas than we actualy need, we risk the possibilty of splitting the user base in 2, those that use regional arenas and those that use game arenas.
quiksilva
Kai Lover
Kai Lover

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Living in Thailand I got used to being kicked on xbc games due to my ping or even just because of my location! (I have a 512k adsl upload so that shouldn't be the problem)

But I have to say that I have found the Kai community much friendlier in this respect, and with no Live service in Thailand Kai is a godsend - so kudos to you dudes!!

As for lag it all depends on the game halo for me tends to be unplayable but I get some good games of GRIT, TOCA, PGR2, SCPT online.

As for seperate rooms or arenas, it would be a welcome optional addition but I just check out people's profiles in the arena or in messenger mode, I reckon it works fine..

Catchya online, quik

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic