FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 "The service is not connected, would you like t.. recon View next topic
View previous topic
Raoul
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi.

I have just installed 11-15 XBMC and KAI-client. KAI-client seems te be happy, spotting arena's and stuff. But XBMC when selecting KAI keeps saying "The service is not connected, would you like t... reconnecting it with Xbox Media Center".

I read the sticky (http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3731), turned off anti-vir & firewall (although not being happy having to do that, but for troubleshooting purposes did it), but same message.

Is the message saying my XBOX is not able to hook up with my PC? Or could something else be wrong? My xbox IS getting an IP-address (showing RSS-feeds in Avalaunch)...

I'm a newbie to tunneling and KAI. I would appreciate any help; i would LOVE to experience my 1st online-game... Thanks,

Raoul.
dbldown768
Kai Enthusiast
Kai Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

first off make sure kai works connecting to your xbox just using the PC UI not making it more involved and more variables with XBMC. a few tips: make sure your xbox IP is static, and make sure its outside the DHCP range of your router.

then the problem i had with my antivirus software, disabling it did NOT work. I had to physically go in and turn stuff off. or edit your msconfig to boot without it running for the time being, just to see if that is the problem.
redfiat
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I had this.
make sure in your KAI confiig on your PC you are using
the Profile "Engine Only"
Once I changed from Normal Kai usage to engine only
it all worked.
dvbit
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have the same msg above.

XB is connected to the net (rss is shown) through a router and a switch.
the router has port 30000 open on the xbox ip (static).

With this config I still get the msg...

Tx for your help

PS: Why sould I modify the KAI setup on th PC if I do not go hrough it to reach the net?
dfunked
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
PS: Why sould I modify the KAI setup on th PC if I do not go hrough it to reach the net?

You go through the Kai Engine, so of course you have to set that up correctly. The XBox *NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER* goes on the Internet while in systemlink or on Kai. Confirm you can use the PC UI on its own and get everything working before moving on to XBMC.

Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yep KAI with the GUI works on te PC.

I'll try to disable the gui.

I'am sorry, but still I can't understand how can the XBMC know there's KAI engine running on the PC if it does not even know (no config for this on PC) where (IP) the PC is...
dfunked
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It's called network broadcasting Wink The XBox does it in systemlink. That's how you're able to let a PC sniff out and tunnel those packets from the XBox, because they're broadcast out across a whole subnet.

Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Tx for the expalantion.
Still...
Can't getout.

KAI link is started on the pc as a srvice (no gui) but on the xbox i still have the same msg.

As i said i tried out with the gui and it works on the pc.
dbldown768
Kai Enthusiast
Kai Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

i had the same problem, was my antivirus software. makesure you not running anything on your pc that has a firewall. a good test is to see if the SMB works through XBMC, if that doesnt work, that is why your UI cant find the kai engine. believe me i know.
dvbit
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

SMB shares are seen from the XBMC.
The AV is working on my PC.

If that is the price to pay to enable KAI from XBMC I think I will not pay it since there's too much worms going around on the net and the adsl I have is always on and would be unprotected.
dbldown768
Kai Enthusiast
Kai Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

no you dont have to have it unprotected. sorry if you missinterpreted. certain antivirus softwares will have that effect. i upgraded from norton 2004 to 2005 and it now has an internet worm protection in it, becuase of that i could not get the SMB or kai working, unless i turned it off in the antivirus options.

its really not a big deal, u can turn it off for the time you play if your that paranoid. for most people you just should watch what sites your browse. anyway, norton 2004 has no issues with capatiblity. just telling you to look into that being that problem.

another thing is to check what services are running on your machine. maybe set them up to startup manually, becuase some of them could cause a conflict. i figured out my situation over the weekend.
dvbit
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Do you mean the feature called "protect agains rapidly spreading threats"?
dbldown768
Kai Enthusiast
Kai Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

well, in norton system works 2005 - it was called Internet Worm protection, and it was located under the norton antivirus options. If you unchech that box, it still will give you virus coverage, just removes the worm protection.

I also had to install some program for my works VPN through check point, and i think that also gave me problems, so i unloaded that from my windows services on bootup.

the best way to test something you might suspect is to remove it from bootup using msconfig and the manage tool in XP and set the service to manual. just to test it. if it works then u found the solution to the problem you are having. just becarful what u edit and remember the changes you make.

edit: let me just say this though, you said your SMB is working fine. I had a problem with that as well as kai when the antivirus software was improperly setup. Is your xbox a static IP? if not you should make it one. also set the IP address outside your routers dhcp range. for example, if your routers dhcp is 192.168.0.100 - 192.168.0.199 setup your xbox at 192.168.0.201 or something.
dvbit
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I tried with the AV disabled altogether and that did not bring success.

The xbox is configured wih a static ip and the range for dhcp starts on he upper range of numbers available (i.e. box is .4 and dyn ip start at .128), so no interference should be there.

I'll check the services.

I don't know if you read my first post, but this is my setup:

- Behind a HW firewall (enabled, but with port 30000 (KAI's) opened) /Router & switch.
- Norton IS 2005

Tx 4 your support hope we will be playing together soon Wink
dbldown768
Kai Enthusiast
Kai Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

ok... to sum up..lets see if i have your problem straight. you can use the PC UI fine, but the XBMC will not connect. The port forwarding shouldnt have anything to do with XBMC UI finding the kai engine on your pc.

Are you running any bridges at all? Another thing to try is edit your xboxmediacenter.xml at the top you will see a logging level, change it to a 0 for debug. then run your setup and exit out of XBMC and you will see a file in your XBMC directory called xbmc.log take a look in there for any error, or maybe post it on here, so we all can take a look at it.

another thing is i heard that norton IS is very bitchy...probably has firewall stuff in there, and i bet if you take it out of a bootup you might not have any issues.

oh one more thing to try, not 100% if it will work, but if you have xp and you boot your cpu in save mode with networking and launch your kai engine and it connnects then its probably your antivirus, cuz that isnt launched in safe mode.
dvbit
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes finally it worked.

It does work with AV & FW active.

My mistake was.... not following the instructions!
Sorry for wasting a bit of your time, but that should be instructive (not only for me) but also for others.

Ok so some advice for other having the same problem.

1. read the f manual (I say this 1st of all to myself). In this manual it is said to use the "Just engine dashboard engine". I was using the "Just Engine, no UI" option. Configure autologin and port 30000 for both port parameters.
2. dig a hole in your hardware fw (port 30000 on xbox ip, udp protocol)
3. Important, if you have an old pc like mine and it is also doing other stuff in the meantime, WAIT for the FW popup saying KAI Engine wants to access the net and say yes to it. For me this happened: I was on another floor trying to connect via XBox and could not see the window. When I was back on the PC the window was gone or not yet popped up. In fact better dig another hole in your sw firewall altogether and from the start so you wan't be waiting for windows...

TX for your advice especially dbldown768 & ciao from Rome
runtime
Team XLink Retired XBMC Admin
Team XLink Retired XBMC Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If you check out the sticky topic, you'll see I've added in a 'network reachability' check in the latest CVS (25th November); hopefully this will help others diagnosing similar issues. Thanks for updating us with your progress! Smile

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic