FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Hosting thru XBMC? View next topic
View previous topic
ubermensch
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Having gotten Kai to work through the latest XBMC (11-23-04), I'm able to do all the stuff, join games, view friends online, etc.

But myself and a friend cannot figure out how to host and join eachothers Halo 2 games no matter what we try.

We're able to jumble through the process, but by the time we've invited eachother to our private Areanas, once we start the game and get to the "AVAILABLE GAMES" section under system link, we can't get either of our games to show up, and cannot join.

What the hell are we doing wrong, what needs to be done to host your own game through XMBC? Haven't been able to find a guide or tutorial on these or any forums.

Have found this http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=308017 which indcates that there's a bug in XBMC?

Any info on this guys? Thanks for any help.
runtime
Team XLink Retired XBMC Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

"I'm doing everything right, but it doesn't work." issues are not much to work with Wink

You'd be forgiven for thinking there are major bugs in XBMC Kai by reading these forums, just remember that people tend to post when they have a problem - not when everything works. There was a hosting issue about a couple of weeks ago but this was quickly resolved - the people who continue to post in this forum are generally having Kai engine configuration/routing issues which are nothing to do with XBMC.

In the sticky topic - help with connectivity issues, you'll see that once you've browsed to the correct arena, and then clicked the Host button, the rest is down to the Kai engine running on your PC.

At this point you could literally unplug your XBOX, take it out for a walk in the park, return home, reconnect the cables and launch the game however you like and it would make no difference to joining/hosting games in the arena - because its all down to the Kai engine running on your PC.

If you encounter problems doing this you most likely have some kind of XBOX system link<->PC/Kai configuration issue and theres nothing you can do within XBMC to solve this kind of problem as it isn't responsible for actually routing system link games.

XBMC simply tells the Kai engine on the PC what you want to do, and the engine doesn't always respond to say theres a problem with what you want to do, specifically when it comes to network routing issues.

For this reason we advise that you first ensure that you can get Kai working (and by that we mean being able to host and play games) without XBMC. That way you have less variables to consider when troubleshooting (check out some of the tips in the sticky topic).
stopit33
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi so let me se if i have this rite if a want to host a game of links 2004 from xbmc
1. i go to links 2004 in kai (usually empty)
2. click on host
3. set a name for the game
4. press play
5. then in links 2004 create a game and just wait in the lobby for some one to join
is this correct cheers
i have a 3meg connection with blueyonder don't know what the upload speed is though
runtime

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes that would be the correct approach, particularly for popular games - with less popular games you may be disappointed if there aren't any like minded souls about at the time who want to play Links.

A less frustrating way would be to organise a game with some friends beforehand and agree to join up in the arena at a given time.

Tip: for less popular games, just host in the main arena e.g. Links - don't bother with creating a private room. Private rooms are only really useful to optimise peformance within crowded arenas.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic