FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 XBOX online gaming etiquette View next topic
View previous topic
taz
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 1:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Please post below things that you would like players who are new to your chosen game to be aware of.

The reason for this, I tried to play a game of halo the other day, and as it is not my usual cup of tea, I was unaware that speeding the clock up was such a bad thing. Until I just read a post about it.

The only way to stop this kind of thing is to educate ourselves to in game etiquette.

I will update the list as we go along, please post if you want something added.

All Games

Don't use hacked profile / game to give you an unfair advantage over other players.
Try not to leave before the game / round is finished.
Don't kill a player on your own team, it will probably result in you being shot next round.
Don't hijack someone's game to have a private conversation with a friend, if you want to save money on long distance at least host your own game.
For team games, try to keep the teams even. (if theres an odd number the host should select the team with the least players)
Play with your xtag or something similiar.

Private Arenas

If you are not in the game. Make sure you leave the sub-arena to allow others to join the sub-arena.
Play with your xtag or something very similiar so that the Host doesn't have to ask who is who when cleaning up the room.

Halo

Speeding up the Clock. (just before the game starts there is a countdown, you can speed up the clock by pressing X. please don’t do this as it this countdown helps the Xboxes sync to each other)
Let the host start the game.

Try to use gametypes/make gametypes with generic starting equipment. (Using generic makes the game fairer on joining players, because it means you start with pistol, AR and nades, whereas on custom starting equipment, some maps start you with a plasma pistol and no nades. Makes the game harder to play and way too easy for the host. Not necessarily every time, but certainly on maps like Battle Creek, where there will be no pistol to pick up on custom equipment.

Rainbow Six 3

Don't use 0.5 cal sniper or rocket launchers unless host says it ok to do so.
Don't use hacked weapons (ie. Molotov cocktails) unless host says its ok.

Project Gotham Racing 2

Choose same car or the same class as the host.

Top Spin

Zero Power Serve (ZPS=using constantly a 0 powered serve) and Death Drop (drop shots that ALWAYS touches the net) are considered as cheating in top spin tennis circles, and only serve to annoy,

Last edited by taz on Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:43 pm; edited 6 times in total
Diablo911
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 9:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

hehe... I sped up the clock too... glad I read this here now. As far as gaming etiquite... in line w/ the PGR2 rule of thumb there should be the same rule for RC2, I was playin' against someone that had a faster rally car that wasn't unlocked for me yet and despite how fast and perfect you do a course there is no way for you to win. So pick cars of similar performance... it was the host too lol.
Palmster
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 8:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

taz wrote:
TopSpin

Avoid cheesy play i.e. constantly using drop shots.

I personally don't think drop shots are cheezy or against the spirit of gaming. Even if you do it often. Top spin's drop shot takes a fair bit of skill to pull off. Infact it is as deadly as "power shots". Drop shots and "Power Shots" are both considered risk shots - they both require the trigger button. If you execute it, it's deadly, if you don't you'll lose that round. Badly placed drop shots will open yourself to a BIG return shot.
[IXS]eXodus
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 10:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Halo: Try to use gametypes/make gametypes with generic starting equipment. It's in Item Options when you make a gametype. Using generic makes the game fairer on joining players, because it means you start with pistol, AR and nades, whereas on custom starting equipment, some maps start you with a plasma pistol and no nades. Makes the game harder to play and way too easy for the host. Not necessarily every time, but certainly on maps like Battle Creek, where there will be no pistol to pick up on custom equipment. Cheers Wink

Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 12:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Palmster wrote:
taz wrote:
TopSpin

Avoid cheesy play i.e. constantly using drop shots.

I personally don't think drop shots are cheezy or against the spirit of gaming. Even if you do it often. Top spin's drop shot takes a fair bit of skill to pull off. Infact it is as deadly as "power shots". Drop shots and "Power Shots" are both considered risk shots - they both require the trigger button. If you execute it, it's deadly, if you don't you'll lose that round. Badly placed drop shots will open yourself to a BIG return shot.

have you ever played someone who constantly plays drop shots, every single time.

It does get a bit anoying and is not fun.

I will remove the top-spin comment, because people could think that using risk shots is a bad thing and will annoy, where all good players use them (with variety)
ian[wales]
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 11:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
I was playin' against someone that had a faster rally car that wasn't unlocked for me yet and despite how fast and perfect you do a course there is no way for you to win. So pick cars of similar performance.

Shocked I'm afraid I cannot agree with this. Why should people who have gone through the trouble of playing the single player game to unlock the cars be penalised because you cannot be bothered? The game isn't exacty the hardest out there, and by the time you finish the 3rd difficulty level most of the cars will be unlocked, so go and play it Wink It's a fun game and you will be a better rs2 player for doing it too Smile
[IXS]eXodus
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 2:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I didn't say this before, because I assumed it was a given, but after today.. if seems not.

Halo: If it's any type of team game, wether it's TS, CTF, OB, TKOTH, whatever, try to wait for even teams. If you can't get even teams, then the host should be the team with a player short wherever possible.

Let the host start the game. Don't just a room and just start the count, other then being inpolite, it's annoying.

If you have to quit the game for any reason, please quit ingame before leaving the arena so it dosen't crash the game for the rest of the players, and if possible say why you've left - food or whatever, so people don't just think you're a sore loser. Nobody wants to play with teh quitter Wink

Cheers Smile

Embarassed I just realised some of these are being added to you post taz, I'll try to cut these down so they don't take up as much space if you did add them...

Kai Admirer
Kai Admirer

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 2:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Heh, i can already see that people's ideas of fair play are very different.

but so far i dont disagree with anything posted Wink

taz
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 3:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

[IXS]eXodus wrote:
I didn't say this before, because I assumed it was a given, but after today.. if seems not.

Halo: If it's any type of team game, wether it's TS, CTF, OB, TKOTH, whatever, try to wait for even teams. If you can't get even teams, then the host should be the team with a player short wherever possible.

Let the host start the game. Don't just a room and just start the count, other then being inpolite, it's annoying.

If you have to quit the game for any reason, please quit ingame before leaving the arena so it dosen't crash the game for the rest of the players, and if possible say why you've left - food or whatever, so people don't just think you're a sore loser. Nobody wants to play with teh quitter Wink

Cheers Smile

Embarassed I just realised some of these are being added to you post taz, I'll try to cut these down so they don't take up as much space if you did add them...

all these points are now in the All Games section.

its better to have them there, and keep the game specific ones to a minimum.

re: the rallysport challange posts.

im not sure what to say on this as i agree with both posts.
however the way i play this game online may be different to others, I only play in ghost mode, and only use the other cars only to set the pace.

If they have a better car they will be faster, but its all the more satisfing when you beat them.
aronparsons
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 3:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

ian[wales] wrote:
Quote:
I was playin' against someone that had a faster rally car that wasn't unlocked for me yet and despite how fast and perfect you do a course there is no way for you to win. So pick cars of similar performance.

Shocked I'm afraid I cannot agree with this. Why should people who have gone through the trouble of playing the single player game to unlock the cars be penalised because you cannot be bothered? The game isn't exacty the hardest out there, and by the time you finish the 3rd difficulty level most of the cars will be unlocked, so go and play it Wink It's a fun game and you will be a better rs2 player for doing it too Smile

That's the whole point of etiquette. If the host is using a lesser car, then match his car. If you want to use a better car, host your own game. I for one like to race something other than "Ultimate" cars in PGR2, and if someone wants to join and race an "Ultimate" car, I don't want them racing with me. No one's saying "don't use the cars", just pick a car that will make the race fun. If you want to win really bad, just play the AI.
[IXS]eXodus
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 4:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

taz wrote:
all these points are now in the All Games section.

its better to have them there, and keep the game specific ones to a minimum.

Good idea, when I posted, I never noticed how general my points were Embarassed
Cheers Wink

Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 10:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

aronparsons wrote:
That's the whole point of etiquette. If the host is using a lesser car, then match his car. If you want to use a better car, host your own game. I for one like to race something other than "Ultimate" cars in PGR2, and if someone wants to join and race an "Ultimate" car, I don't want them racing with me. No one's saying "don't use the cars", just pick a car that will make the race fun. If you want to win really bad, just play the AI.

Personally I've never played PGR2 online so I dont know what the choices are when picking a car within the game online Embarassed But at least within RSC2 you can limit cars to a certain class which should be roughly the same, but with slightly better options for those who have invested the time and effort within the single player game to unlock them. Perhaps the etiquette should be only pick cars within same class, both for PGR2 and RSC2 Confused

I do however fully agree that all games should be ghost mode, it eliminates the old knock opponent off racing line into a barrier trick Laughing
taz
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 11:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

ian[wales] wrote:
I do however fully agree that all games should be ghost mode, it eliminates the old knock opponent off racing line into a barrier trick Laughing

ghost mode is my preferance, I dont want to stop anyone forom choosing the game mode that "they" want to play.

I think it may be best to leave it up to the hosts what game type they want.

If your looking for a game its best to view them before you join and select one that has the most attractive game mode for you.

If you cant find one, then perhaps you can host.
(the above statments are directed in general, and not towards ian)
TheDaddy

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 1:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Meh... me and XC play PGR2 with different rules... the winner is the person who can spin the other by 360 degrees the most number of times Smile You need a good ping for it to be fun, but it's great Razz

TD
taz
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 1:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

TheDaddy wrote:
Meh... me and XC play PGR2 with different rules... the winner is the person who can spin the other by 360 degrees the most number of times Smile You need a good ping for it to be fun, but it's great Razz

TD

Sounds like a scream, give me a shout next time you have a game going i'd love to have a go.
jmel
Kai Admirer
Kai Admirer

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 2:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

TheDaddy wrote:

TD

cat and mouse is fun too...

taz
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 2:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

jmel wrote:

its a pitty there is only the one game mode in system link, and that it dont support voice chat.
jmel
Kai Admirer
Kai Admirer

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 3:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

taz wrote:
jmel wrote:

its a pitty there is only the one game mode in system link, and that it dont support voice chat.

yeah, thats why this was another game i decided to play more on live...

but its still fun for a pickup game, esp with speex in kai.

CheapAs
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 3:40 am Reply with quoteBack to top

i used be good on pgr2 when it first arrived, played the other day for the first time in ages...

im all for if you wanna use a modded car to try to win but things like deliberatly trying to crash into your opponent is the worst.
Like when the green light go's they turn right to block you off straight away and all through the race just trying to crash into you.
I refuse to play it on xlink no more, no way. sucks. Exclamation
cohnen
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 11:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Top Spin: Zerp Power Serve (ZPS=using constantly a 0 powered serve) and Death Drop (drop shots that ALWAYS touches the net) should be considered cheat. Wink

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic