FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Problem seeing games - Provider-related? View next topic
View previous topic
Brainboy
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 8:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello all,
I downloaded Kai just an hour or so ago, and so far it looks promising, but it has not worked yet.

When I enter the Halo PAL arena, several people tell me that they have opened games. I go to my Xbox, and what do you know, there are absolutely NO games visible. The screen still blinks "Looking for Games" at me mockingly. I am, of course, relatively mad. Another few things that happened: Kai seems to say that my Xbox has been detected. The other users say that my ping constantly says "Establishing". Even games that I host are invisible to other players.

Now, to the question: My Internet Provider is Telenet (Mono). This is a pretty good provider (read through that page there, translate it in Babel Fish or something if you don't understand it, although most of it is self-explicable), the only real problem with it is that it runs its own kind of firewall (a way to protect "dumb" users) and I can't control it. This could be the reason for my problems with Kai. The weird thing is, both XBConnect and Xbox Live work over this connection, so unless Kai is radically different, I would think it would work, too. Until now, it hasn't. Anybody know anything about this provider I don't, and maybe some kind of solution.

Thank you,
Brainboy

PS: Just to make sure you don't suggest it, yes, I DO have PAL, not NTSC. [EDIT]: Oh, just remembered: There's different versions of PAL, which are incompatible with each other as well. Anyway, I have UK PAL, and I was pretty sure some of the other people had that too. Maybe that detail will help, though.
dfunked
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 9:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

If you get dropping pings, you're going to have to forward a port.

Follow the instructions on the website http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/?go=faq and http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/?go=help

Also, there's no UI for the configuration yet, so you have to go to the directory you installed Evolution VII to, open the user config text file, and next to KaiPort enter the port number that you port forwarded.
Brainboy
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 10:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

dfunked wrote:
If you get dropping pings, you're going to have to forward a port.

Follow the instructions on the website http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/?go=faq and http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/?go=help

Also, there's no UI for the configuration yet, so you have to go to the directory you installed Evolution VII to, open the user config text file, and next to KaiPort enter the port number that you port forwarded.

Uh, sorry, but I don't think you read my post too clearly:

Quote:
the only real problem with it is that it runs its own kind of firewall (a way to protect "dumb" users) and I can't control it

If I was able to forward ports, I would, but I can't. Anybody have any idea why XBConnect and Xbox Live work, but Kai doesn't?
SPideRCyDE
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 1:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Call up your isp and find out which ports they make available in there firewall settings...then run the kai conf utility and set the port accordingly to your isp's free ports, if xbox live uses a port to get out through the firewall...setup kai to use the same port. Very Happy
Brainboy
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 1:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

SPideRCyDE wrote:
if xbox live uses a port to get out through the firewall...setup kai to use the same port. Very Happy

That actually sounds like a good idea. I'll check out Xbox Live and XBConnect to see whether I can find any info anywhere about what ports are being used. Thanks!
Pralte
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello Brainboy!

I have the same problem...but I dont think that it is provider related.

my neighbour has the same provider as I have....but I can see him with a good ping.
...on his screen we see "establishing..."

when I try to connect to other games (halo) my xbox is waiting for available games....but no result.
El-Bandido
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 11:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

i'm having exact the same problem,

same isp, telenet
cable modem => pc =>crossover cable => xbox

my rss feeds and gamesaves downloads from avalaunch work / i can surf with linksbox so i suppose my network setup is working..

edit
well.. my problem solved itself.. it took ages for my xbox to show up under the performance tab, in the meantime i checked with qwix what halo version i had and it was ntsc, ive just played a (laggy as hell Smile ) ntsc game

so it aint the provider..
dfunked
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 11:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Maybe ask your ISP what UDP ports they have available. With XBC, you are able to join without forwarding any sort of ports, but you must forward 8602 UDP if you wish to host.

Sorry about not reading clearly, that's what you get for sifting through hundreds of emails Crying or Very sad
Devedander
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 8:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Is your host using a firewall or a proxy server? If it's a proxy server you may be abel to bypass it in your internet settings... dunno if that's it but it came to mind.
GoatNinja
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 8:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Try Port Magic http://www.purenetworks.com/products/ it's worked for everyone i've recommended to, only problem is it last for 14 days. But i'm sure port problems will be fixed by then.
Brainboy
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 4:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Devedander wrote:
Is your host using a firewall or a proxy server? If it's a proxy server you may be abel to bypass it in your internet settings... dunno if that's it but it came to mind.

Yeah, I believe my provider runs some sort of firewall or proxy server, and I can't control (I think I said that in the first post). I used to put in proxy server information into Internet Explorer's settings, but for a while now I haven't needed it anymore. I believe it still works WITH the settings as well, though. Is there anywhere in Kai that I can enter proxy server information? Because so far I have only seen port information.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic