View previous topic
StrungOutPunk
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have X-link running on my pc.
I Can see the arenas.
I Can see the players in the game.
I mapped port 30000 to my pc from my router with tcp/udp.

When I click join. It launches halo2 I then go to systemlink and the only option I have is, create a new game.
dfunked
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

And you've used the PC to play games before?

Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm having the exact same problem, any suggestions? I have successfully used the PC to play games but when I'm going straight throught the router and modem is when I experience the problems.
dfunked
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Straight through the router and modem? Meaning where's the PC? Very Happy

I don't follow what you mean..

Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

cracker026 wrote:
I'm having the exact same problem, any suggestions? I have successfully used the PC to play games but when I'm going straight throught the router and modem is when I experience the problems.

you still need to run the kai engine on your computer even if kai is on xbmc..

Mandalore
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I am having the same problem and I have the kai engine running on my pc as well. It won't even show the game even if I don't use the gui on the xbox. I just recently upgraded to the latest XBMC, maybe a bug in it?
dfunked
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Mandalore wrote:
I am having the same problem and I have the kai engine running on my pc as well. It won't even show the game even if I don't use the gui on the xbox. I just recently upgraded to the latest XBMC, maybe a bug in it?

NO YOU ARE NOT HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM.

If I get cancer, and you get cancer, did we both get it the same way? In the same cell? Of the same type? On the same day? Are we the same sex? Are we both young / old?

Sorry for the grim analogy but I don't like it when people assume they have the exact same problem, and even still I find it sillier when 1 out of 10000 XBMC users assumes it's a bug in XBMC. Not saying it is, and I suppose neither are you, but both issues HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH XBMC IN REALITY.

Quote:
It won't even show the game even if I don't use the gui on the xbox.

Does XBMC have anything to with the engine? Nope. See my point now? I hope so.. Surprised

Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

well then why did it work before I upgraded XBMC and now it doesn't...better to assume the worse than not at all. Yet this question is still unanswered. We cannot see the game in the system link menu even though we connect through xlink kai successfully...Kai seems to work much better and with a better interface but whatever bridges it in the xbox aint working cuz seems it closes the connection to kai once you boot the game. SO maybe a bug in Kai??? I'm gonna try installing an old version of xbmc and wait till this gets fixed or some cure is available for my cancer and everyone elses special different cancer...
runtime
Team XLink Retired XBMC Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

jeez, i visit www.teamxlink.co.uk, sometimes its not always up - do I blame it on my web browser...?! It amazes me how people just assume that the orbs and engine are always functioning 100%... those things go up and down with surprising frequency; sometimes XBMC will connect and not get any extended info (the info required to add games to your Games view) from the orb (its as if the orb ignores the requests).

Basically 99% of problems in these forums are posted by people who have problems with the network side, nothing to do with XBMC software - basically you have 3 settings: username, password and engine IP if you got those right and your network settings in XBMC are correct (IP, subnet mask, DNS) then the rest tends to be 'outside' of the XBOX.

No matter how many times i've spelt it out, some people around here can't seem to get it into their heads, there have been NO changes to XBMC Kai since November the 30th, it was working fine then and it still hasn't needed any fixes. Perhaps you guys should read the change log, again its all in the sticky topics, if you people ever bothered to read them.

Now if you want to report a bug then read the sticky topics, follow the procedure and provide those damn log files I've been asking for because I will not bother to investigate if people are too lazy to write proper bug reports and provide evidence to support their claims.

Last edited by runtime on Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mandalore
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ok I'm sorry, Theres nothing wrong with my kai or xbmc. Does anyone know why my games won't show up?? I was connecting with xbconnect fine last night but I hate that program with a passion!!! Does anyone know what might be causing this? since it's clearly not a bug.

**edit**
Well seems as though something was screwed up with the Kai engine on the pc so I redownloaded it and now it works fine. Although the games seems to appear and disappear on the system link menu maybe a bug! haha just kidding prolly the network doing some weird crap. anyways if you having this problem try redownloading the engine it worked for me.

Last edited by Mandalore on Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
runtime

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Edit: TheDaddy (TD) changed the way XLink routes Halo 2 traffic - please make sure you guys have updated to the latest PC Kai engine (KAID/kaiStation players should just make sure they're on the latest build as that should be unaffacted)

Edit: I didn't say its not a bug, what I said is that nothing has changed for a long time, and yet I still see people saying that the December 8th build is better than December 12th when in fact both builds have the same Kai code - no changes since November 30th! Also, the other thing I said was that if you really think there is a bug then to read the sticky topics and provide a proper bug report with log files.

---

A direct answer to your question - there are many reasons why stuff might not work, between you and the other players is a lot of hardware (and software). Assuming the network side is 100% perfect then read on...

The first question to ask is:

1) Are you sure someone is actually hosting? (look for a house icon next to the players in the same arena)

If no one is hosting, naturally you won't find any games.

Also, its quite possible that the person hosting hasn't yet started his syslink game (this part sucks and is a limitation with XLink and XBConnect) its worth flipping over to the chat view to ask if the game has started - USB keyboard will save you the hassle of typing with a virtual keyboard; in future I will add quick texts that you can select e.g. "Has the game started?" - if you get no responses the game probably has started and you should fire up your syslink game. In future I'm hoping TD will refine XLink so that XBMC can tell when the person hosting has actually started the syslink game.

Notes:

- I'm not exactly sure but I believe there may be an upper limit on how many people can be in arena and see 'all' the games. This limit is not imposed by XBMC, but its seems logical the XLink network might have to enforce such a limit because there seems very little logic in routing every single players traffic amongst each other person in the arena, particularly in large/popular arenas.

- If you're going to test, try joining a smaller arena with a handful of players.
stim
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I can join some games, but when I try to join others, there are not any games in listed in the available games screen. I think my problem is due to the person hosting the game not being on the system link screen, which runtime said could cause problems...

If the person hasn't started the system link game do you have to relaunch your entire game to refresh the available games screen or does it refresh itself if you leave it on the available games screen?

Thanks..
Mandalore
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I think refreshes itself but I'm not 100% sure. Because sometimes I see more than one game being hosted sometimes and they show up and disappear like someone was puttin up a game then disconnecting.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic