FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 headset questions, trying to figure out for weeks now View next topic
View previous topic
jhr1948
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

first thank you all who have made kai (& xbmc kai integration possible)

here's my situation. i convinced a buddy to get a headset after i bought one(wanted the full online experience). since then, we cannot get them working in friends(xbmc) mode. i've searched configurations etc... and believe we have everything set up correctly. we both can join games fine. and, for example, in halo 2's pregame lobby we can talk to each other (i assume that is not using the speex codec, which is integrated into kai), which rules out broken headsets. i've done some serious searching before breaking down to writing this, unless i'm using a poor choice of search strings, i've come up empty.
so, i have a few questions:

1. are there any particular ways my sound settings on pc should be? for instance, should i have certain things ticked on mute etc... ?
2. we breifly configured kai as normal use (to make sure we exhaust all possiblities) and tried to use the head set that way, but i wasn't sure what the set up that way should be. what should be the steps taken to get it to work this manner for quicker testing. our steps: turned on kai, turned on xboxes (no game loaded) then tried it, no luck that way.
3. i noticed that throughout the kai & xbmc forums, many say that when you are on the friends tab (in xbmc), you click on voice and the other person should recieve a message telling them that the other wants to chat w/them. neither of us get that message when we enable voice.

just to let you know we've tried many of the newer different xbmc releases, b/c we first thought it was xbmc related.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. if anyone would also be willing to try helping us solve the problem it would be great.
thanks
dfunked
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If you're both using XBMC and you've both added each other as contacts, one of you highlights the XTag of your buddy and presses Voice. Your buddy - if he/she has Kai notifications on - get's a little request popup saying you've made a voice chat request. If your buddy goes into View: Friends, they should see a flashing white and grey speaker next to your name. Have them highlight your XTag and then press Voice too, to accept the request.

Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

thanks for the reply dfunked
what you explained is what i am not getting. i get notification when he signs on and same goes for him. but when i highlight his xtag and press voice, speaker icon next to his voice, but he still has no notification (or vice versa).
should we be able to both enable voice and talk to each other immediately? if so, we can't do that.

thank you
jhr1948
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

after further investigation i noticed something wrong. during normal kai use, when my friend and i log on together, his status says "establishing link." on his computer he sees me in "messenger mode". i'm sure this has something to do w/it. the funny thing is we both can go and jump on games. is the "establishing link" thing my problem or his?

here's a help request thingy:
Is your network reachable? yes
Are you using a port-forward? yes
Is your console being detected? yes
Brief description of your network setup (include model numbers):d-link router air + extreme ; xbox plugged into router
Do you use a software firewall? What brand? Have you made any changes to it?Norton Internet security, no
Operating System? xp
Problem description? i can join games, but when i see my friend, his status says "establishing link", yet he sees me in messenger mode.

COPY AND PASTE CONTENTS OF kaiUserConfig.txt HERE
[KaiUserConfig]
kaiUsername=jhr1948
kaiPassword=--------
kaiPort=30000
kaiDeepPort=30000
kaiAccept=LOCAL
kaiTimeout=NOUI
kaiNIC=0
kaiLaunch=BOTH
kaiHomebrew=OFF
kaiPAT=ON
kaiAutoLogin=ON
kaiAllowBadNICS=OFF
kaiWireless=
kaiUI=Default

i know this is supposed to be in the help section, but i didn't want to double post
thanks
jose
dfunked
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

OK.

KaiDeepPort = 0. Nobody has ever told you to touch that and it's in the documentation to never touch it.
kaiPAT should be OFF.

I would ask your buddy to see if he's done the same thing as you and if he has to fix it up. Then have a look if you can both see each other's status.

Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

you're right about the kai port, no one said change (nor leave it), however as far as the pat, the xbmc guide shows it ticked.

http://kent.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/xbmc/XLink-KAI_XBMC-QuickGuide_1.1.01.pdf

thanks, i will try it out tonight
dfunked
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hence why I'm making an official guide Smile It should really be off for most people, but it can not cause any problems for others - until things like this Wink

Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

hi my friend finally got around to testing it w/me (a friggin' week later), i changed kai deep port to 0 and turned off pat. as far as my friends config, the only thing he had incorrect, according to dfunked's response concerning kai deep port and turn off pat, was that he had pat on. i had him turn pat off.

funny thing is, i still show him as establishing link (while he can see exactly what mode i'm in-messenger, arena etc...). To add to the headache, his diagnostics say reachable: not yet. Before he turned off pat, his network was saying that it was reachable. it didn't dawn on me last night to have him turn on pat (just to check if his network was reachable again).

he has the same router as i do an i gave him step by step instructions on port forwarding and allowing the program through the firewall.
here's his kai config.
[KaiUserConfig]
kaiUsername=Dream34
kaiPassword=________
kaiPort=30000
kaiDeepPort=0
kaiAccept=LOCAL
kaiTimeout=NOUI
kaiNIC=0
kaiLaunch=BOTH
kaiHomebrew=OFF
kaiPAT=OFF
kaiAutoLogin=ON
kaiAllowBadNICS=OFF
kaiWireless=
kaiUI=Default

any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks
jose
dfunked
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Wow this was a long time ago Very Happy

I never said PAT shoudl ALWAYS be OFF, but for 99% of people it should be. It's fine for your friend to have it turned on. If his network reachable = yes, you should see his ping.

Kai Enthusiast
Kai Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If your friend can see your ping but you cannot see his, then the problem is most likely with his configuration. The fact that he can see your ping means that traffic is reaching the kai engine on your computer and being sent back out. This is not true for his kai engine. I would also ask other people in the arena if his ping can be seen by others... but that's the path I would recommend you investigate.
jhr1948
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

thanks for the replies, i will have him test the pat on thing asap. hopefully, we'll have this thing fixed.
thanks
jose
jhr1948
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

here i am again,
if i should start a different thread please let me know. i was out of town and just today was able to have my friend turn pat back "on."

as far as network reachable goes, it now does say "yes" now that pat is turned on.

furthermore when we are both on messenger mode (on pc) he sees my ping and sees the mode i'm in (messenger, arena etc...). however, i still see him as "establishing link."

i had him turn off firewall and still showed him as establishing link.

we checked a few things. his xbox is recognized, he can join games, & he can host games. we have the same router, so i made sure we forwarded the correct ports and firewall on the router.

any further suggestions?

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic