FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Linksys Gaming Adapter Or Microsoft's ? View next topic
View previous topic
A-ONE
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Im stuck. I dont know which of these two wireless gaming Adapters i should purchase.

I own the WRT54GS router and i am hoping to keep my whole network linksys. Its ok if i use one or the other, but i would like your opinions if u have ever used either of these devices.

Here is the linksys WGA54G Wireless Game Adapter

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.as...cid=38&prid=558

And here is the Mcrosoft Xbox Wireless Adapter MN-740. on cnet.com ive seen better things said about this one then the other.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadban...ls.aspx?pid=015

Kai Enthusiast
Kai Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

My questions would (and will) be, 1) what's the price difference? and 2) will they support other consoles/devices, or only Xbox? Then I would decide.

I am Zorkon from Zorkonius. Please, call me Zork.
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
[MF]chilin_dude
Kai Admirer
Kai Admirer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Get the WAP54G, thats what I purchased with my WRT54G and now play wirelessly xbox>router Smile
A-ONE
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

[MF]chilin_dude wrote:
Get the WAP54G, thats what I purchased with my WRT54G and now play wirelessly xbox>router Smile

and how about signal strenght and connectivity ? does it stay connected as it should ?

Kai Admirer
Kai Admirer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

A-ONE wrote:
[MF]chilin_dude wrote:

and how about signal strenght and connectivity ? does it stay connected as it should ?

Yep it never disconects... Well it hasn't in a month, and it accesses the internet etc extrememly well Smile
MR-GOOSE
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Are there any probs with any of these as i am thinking of changing to one of them

Goose

nec
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

A-ONE wrote:
Im stuck. I dont know which of these two wireless gaming Adapters i should purchase.

I own the WRT54GS router and i am hoping to keep my whole network linksys. Its ok if i use one or the other, but i would like your opinions if u have ever used either of these devices.

Here is the linksys WGA54G Wireless Game Adapter

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.as...cid=38&prid=558

And here is the Mcrosoft Xbox Wireless Adapter MN-740. on cnet.com ive seen better things said about this one then the other.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadban...ls.aspx?pid=015

Of course if a WRT54G is the same price or cheaper, just get it, plug your xbox into it and it's BETTER than the WGA. If you flash your new wrt54G with sveasoft firmware, it's now a client of your main router. I do it here because the linksys wireless adapter was much more than the wrt54g, the 54g is BETTER muchly.

XbcSharpShooter
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

dont support microsoft in any way!! go with the linksys Smile its better anyways.

A-ONE
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

necro u have to explain that better man, i have no clue what u said. i know what the seavesoft firmware is about but the way u phrased it made it confusing. i appreciate all the responses on this issue. Linksys it is

Kai Enthusiast
Kai Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hmm, never really thought about trying to link two wireless routers together. And why didn't I? I don't know.

I am Zorkon from Zorkonius. Please, call me Zork.
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
nec
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

A-ONE wrote:
necro u have to explain that better man, i have no clue what u said. i know what the seavesoft firmware is about but the way u phrased it made it confusing. i appreciate all the responses on this issue. Linksys it is

"Hmm, never really thought about trying to link two wireless routers together. And why didn't I? I don't know."

Ok It's like this. How much is the Linksys wireless adapter? How much is a WRT54G. Here in Toronto, I found (last year when I was looking) the wireless adapter was $50 more than the WRT54G. But Wait, one is a router, the other just a crappy wireless adapter. Wouldn't it be nice if you could have the router as a simple wireless adapter (client to another router).

Yes. Sveasoft firmware will allow you to turn a WRT54G or GS into a "CLIENT" to another Wireless router. You still get the functionallity of a router for your "CLIENT" But it's now connected wireless to your other router, thus possibly creating a better (cheaper) alternative to a linksys wireless adapter.

I have two WRT54G, my client in my living room is running KAI to my WRT54G in my office (other bedroom) wirelessly (speedboost). I did this so I don't run wires between rooms and cause problems for the wife...

A-ONE
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

very innovative. I think ill look into that. Can u have it like a brigde ? like it gets ips from the main router, and then i can use the Ethernet ports for a switch ? This would be more then i exspected for a cheaper price.

Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

A-ONE wrote:
very innovative. I think ill look into that. Can u have it like a brigde ? like it gets ips from the main router, and then i can use the Ethernet ports for a switch ? This would be more then i exspected for a cheaper price.

With the latest sveasoft firmware, yes it's like a bridge, and yes you can use it as a switch (as far as I know).

Yes A LOT more for a cheaper price, that's why I was scratching my head, $50 more (at the time) for something that does A LOT less...

One More thing, your not limited to just adding one of these.
You can have one central router (intenet connection, DHCP server, gives out addresses what not), and have several CLIENT/WRTrouters connected to the main guy. Have a router/client in each room you need to connect to the central hub.

Of course there are bandwidth issues, but internet is like what less than 5m, with speedboost I get a good steady 22m (real world), share that with another point (2 clients), thats like 11m 11m, what with three points, thats theoretically 7.3m each. Of course distance obstacles are all a cause of slowdown and what naught.

[MF]chilin_dude
Kai Admirer
Kai Admirer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You don't need any upgraded firmware to get it to act like a bridge or a wireless adapter, the original linksys has the option anyway!
A-ONE
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

so basically i could tunr it into an acess point ? basically thats what your saying ?

Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

[MF]chilin_dude @ Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:02 pm wrote:
You don't need any upgraded firmware to get it to act like a bridge or a wireless adapter, the original linksys has the option anyway!

But the original firmware didn't, that's why I've always gone the sveasoft way. And I'm unsure if linksys allows you to use all ports i.e. bridge mode opposed to only one (the first way linksys did it was only one port would work).

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic