FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Xlink Kai via VPN? View next topic
View previous topic
slobber
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm trying a new setup for running the Kai engine and having trouble. I'm hoping someone can help me or give me some ideas as I'm about fresh out.

I have an office and a home. At my office, we have a dual T1 connection with a 3mbps upload speed. I would like to use this to host some online gaming. However, my Xbox is at my home. At home I have a Windows XP computer running as a VPN endpoint, accepting "incoming calls". It assigns whatever computer connects to it an ip address in the 192.168.1.51 - 59 range. My router is setup correctly and I can VPN into the XP computer from work, and am assigned the .51 address. At work I am running a firewall and have forwarded the necessary UDP ports to the computer that is running the Kai engine, however I have to forward the ports to the LAN address of 192.168.0.106, not to the VPN connection's 192.168.1.51 address. When I start the Kai engine, I have no way of knowing what IP address it is using, but I would assume the LAN address as that is where the internet packets should come from. I am able to run the Kai engine at work in "Normal Mode" and see all of the arenas, chat, etc., so it's working fine. To test from home, using jKaiUI, I am trying the engine running in "Separated Use - Engine PC" mode.

At home I have a Linksys WRT54G router, and yes, it does have the Kai engine running. I can stop it if necessary. Anyway, so the work computer is connected via VPN to my home XP computer. The home XP computer has a LAN address of 192.168.1.101, and can talk to the work computer just fine. I have a laptop with a wireless card that is also on the same subnet, with an ending address of .102. It cannot talk to the work computer. As I'm sure you can guess, the Xbox cannot connect to the work computer running the engine either.

On the firewall at work I have forwarded port 30000 (UDP) and 34522 (UDP) to the LAN address of the work computer. I haven't tried forwarding them to the 192.168.1.51 address as I don't think it would see the VPN connection from the 192.168.0.0/24 network. I have also not tried putting the computer on the DMZ. My intention is to run the Kai engine on the computer at work and have it be a member of my home network so that I can host games with a 3mbps upload speed rather than 768kbps. Now that I'm thinking about it, is this even possible since the Xbox is sitting behind the 768k router? Anyway, if it is possible, what would be the solution? Bridging the "Incoming..."and LAN connections on the home XP computer? I haven't tried that (I'm still at work) but thought it *may* (1/100 chance) work. Basically, if I can get my laptop on the wi-fi network at home to talk to the computer at work, using the wi-fi 192.168.1.0/24 network, then thoretically I may be able to make use of the 3mbps upload speed, although the more I think about it the less likely it seems.

My ears are open...

TIA Smile

Note: Moderator - please Xpost (if allowed) in whatever forum you think might help (many thanks!).
Agilos
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Your gonna be limited by the slowest upload speed. Being the one at your house, its gonna cause a bottleneck effect.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic