FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Please explain to me something? View next topic
View previous topic
(Sh@rp)
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

how so ix xlink better than xbc...why should xlink have that special place on my desktop instead of xbc.

oh yeah...if your gonna say "the smoothest game of halo ever" then dont because i dont find that to be at all true...(how smooth can a halo game get? cause ive had "lan" games on xbc and i dont know how it can get smother than that)

im not trolling or anything. just a Q
[IXS]Porsj
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

People just can't seem to stop comparing the 2 can they?

Well Sharp, for your reference, here's a link to a thread that pretty much explains it all.

http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=461

Enjoy Wink

Nemesis - A righteous infliction of justice manifested by an appropiate agent.
In this case, a horrible cunt - Me.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
dfunked
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

(Sh@rp) wrote:
why should xlink have that special place on my desktop instead of xbc.

You must have a small desktop Laughing
[MF]wishy
Kai Admirer
Kai Admirer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Why not just use both!? i think alot of other ppl do- they're only pieces of software at the end of the day (handy mind Smile) they're not the forces of pure good and evil fighting to conqure the universe!
why not have two special places on your hard drive?
(Sh@rp)
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

[IXS]Porsj wrote:
People just can't seem to stop comparing the 2 can they?

well i am just really curious because xlink says theirs is superior in all aspects but im not sure.

and i dont get how the gaming community is friendlier and whatnot. In the last 2 weeks of me playing xbc i havent had one kid bitch at me. I havent seen any racists. All of my games have been pretty good(the ones i do good in atleast).

That other thread is why xlink is so good but im wondering why xlink is superior to xbc in everyway Confused

Oh yeah and Wishy, Ive heard of people that have both on their computer and xbc messes up or something and they cant log in
[MF]wishy
Kai Admirer
Kai Admirer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

well why don't you just try it? if it fucks up then it only takes 2mins to re-install either of the programs. Personally i haven't had any problems. I have to agree though - i haven't met any really assholes on XBC either since i started playing.
taz
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

(Sh@rp) wrote:

well i am just really curious because xlink says theirs is superior in all aspects but im not sure.

I'm not sure we have ever said that.

we arnt superior in all aspects and we acknowledge that fact.

XBC has a bigger user base, more games running.

We feel we have a better program than xbc, and probably xbc says the same.

were not going to launch a markating campaign saying. use kai, its only slightly fastrer than XBC.

The thread that Porsj quoted gives reasons why were good.

Wether we are better than XBC, then thats down to your own personal opinion.
TheDaddy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

A lot of people have followed XLink and Kai for a long time.. even through times where they've not been able to use XLink because nobody was on.

The reason why we keep developing XLink, even without a massive userbase, is because the people we have as users are such good people. As long as people want XLink to be developed, it will be developed.

But as to your question, I dont wanna get involved in a flame war - but heres a quick rundown of what tunnels consist of, and how the 2 compare. Just remember - *not* flamebait.. facts only.

1.) Tunelling engine - Kai uses a seperate, dedicated engine process for tunelling data, all frame handling code is x86 assembler, including the switching stuff. The engine also uses a pretty clever thread model, to provide the incoming frame queue and outgoing socket queue with maximum resources. While XBC's engine is in the same EXE as the UI, they dont lose much on performance - the XBC engine is pretty tight. It does, however, have lingering issues with p2p games (sometimes only host being able to use voice, etc. etc.) - primarily because it's core is written for client/server games, like Halo, and p2p was tacked on after. Kai is designed ground up around the p2p model. Kai's engine is also completely portable, unlike the core for XBC.

2.) UI - This is an area where I think Kai really scores. Some people dont like the default Kai UI - but thats not a problem, because we can have many different ones - the UI is seperate from the engine, it can even run on different PCs. Personally, the UI was the most "fun" part for me to develop. It's concept is simple - "You can do everything by clicking the left mouse button, and you can always see exactly whats going on." This means, as I'm sure you've noticed, that there are no menus, no popup dialogs, no right click menus, no seperate windows. I'm not saying thats how a good UI should be - I'm saying that that's what I wanted Kai's default UI to be - and I for one love it Smile Anyway, back to the comparison, I have never cared much for XBC's interface - it's what annoyed me so much when I first got my xbox and tried to use it to play. I'm not sure if it's coz im a coder - or maybe I'm just anally retentive - but it feels sorta "wrong". Things not aligned properly, weird empty spaces, borked chat fonts, weird graphics glitches, dog slow. Thats why i deliberately stayed away from that sort of bloat with the kaiUI.

3.) Featureset - Again, Kai scores very highly here imo. I mean, not only do we support all 3 consoles, but you can play with them all at once, if you have the bandwidth, and you can use built in SPEEX to talk to ppl! The support we get from dashboard / homebrew crews like Avalaunch and XBMC really make Kai the ultimate solution for sitting at your TV and playing games. We also provide, essentially, config-free tunelling of existing homebrew games - quake2, doomx, loads of things.

4.) Community - I hear what you're saying about how you've not had any screaming kids / racists on XBC mate - but believe me, you're in the minority there :/ This one's a no contest for me - people here are all awesome. We're also pretty close with the XS community - which means we have a mass of people who are technically talented, and can keep coming up with cool new stuff to make Kai better. XBC isolates itself from everything to do with mods - even legal stuff - which imo doesnt do them many favours.

5.) Motivation - XBC seem to consider themselves some sort of "Microsoft Partner". Nothing could be further from the truth. Microsoft couldn't give a shit about XBC, or Kai, or any other tunnel software. Furthermore, I dont like crippleware - some of the most useful features of XBC are turned off until your fork up the $15 - not a lot of money i agree - but its a lot more than we charge Wink. The developers and crew here are motivated by creating the most diverse, compatible, efficient, sexy looking tunnel software out there - XBC want your money...

TD
(Sh@rp)
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

k a couple more things.

Quote:
Kai is pleased to announce new areas / support for the NMP Map pack for Halo.

Designed by some very talented map hackers, NMP is 11 new / edited maps for Halo (effectively presenting us with Halo 1.5 Wink ).

Since this was brought to my attention by GoatNinja a couple of days ago, we've got arenas set up for it, and they seem to be getting popular. I would seriously recommend anyone with Halo and a way to put files on their Xbox to give this one a try.

Although map PPF's have been around for some time, the NMP strives to create a unified update for Halo players - so playing on tunnels becomes easy and trouble free.

We're hoping to get some more stuff in place soon for this with our other friends in the business Wink But until now, I'll leave you in the capable hands of GoatNinja (new NMP Mod).

Enjoy.

isnt modding illegal or atleast what your doing here? Hacking halo doesnt sound legit to me :/

and finnally,
how much does it cost to keep xlink up, the forums, the servers(or whatever you use to hook up gamers), and stuff like that? I agree i dont like crippleware but the money to pay for these things isnt gonna appear out of thin air Confused
3xodus
Kai Enthusiast
Kai Enthusiast

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think modifying Halo is legal, so long as mods are distributed as patches, not hacked maps. If you send/host the actual maps, then that would be illegal as you're editing and distributing Bungies work, whereas with a patch you're kinda distributing your own work Smile

Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

yup ppf's are 100% legal

[FUNK]
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

(Sh@rp), who are you? And who pissed in your chair to start talking about someone doing something illegal. I am sure you break a few laws every day if you sit back and think about it. Or maybe in your country you can do whatever you want and if so keep smoking that crack man. As for what makes Kai better to me is the team that brought it to us. They make changes daily in order to try and bring the community the best application they can. They do not get paid for it they do it because of us. If that is not reason enough then go back to XBC. Tell all of the kiddies and God Hosts that kick people for no reason I said hello. As for your Halo games, if you are going to compare the two by speed you have to try them both the same way first. So if you made any friends in Kai, see if you and that person can run a game of Halo. Both of you try hosting and remember what the game is like. The go to XBC and do the same thing. If you find that XBC runs better for Halo than Kai does. I guess you know where to go to find a good game then huh?

Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

No reason to become upset here m8's...

Yes, XBC has the larger userbase.

However, Sharp is in the minority concerning crap talk, rudeness & racism.

I've been playing Halo online for.... i dunno.... 2 years an a bit? whatever, it doesn't really matter, fact is, i've been around a loooong time.

And i've had too many a lil kid talk crap to me on xbc, which they don't on Kai. (And i agree with TD on the UI! It's sexay!)

I've always found XBC an ugly program.

But as always, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even if we don't like it, but don't come here to boast shit or flame or whatever, cuz I've had enough of that in the past time... (and i'm sure that no-one here wants that either), so let's just drop the XBC vs. Kai thing.

Like XBC? Don't like Kai? stick to XBC.
Like Kai? Don't like XBC? Use Kai.
Like em both? Use em both (just don't bring any crap talk here)
Don't like either of em? Tough luck on you m8...

Just don't be narrowminded and give em both a try. (A PROPER TRY)

Last edited by [IXS]Porsj on Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:11 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
TheDaddy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
isnt modding illegal or atleast what your doing here? Hacking halo doesnt sound legit to me :/

Nope - PPF = legal, modchips themselves are legal..

Quote:
and finnally,
how much does it cost to keep xlink up, the forums, the servers(or whatever you use to hook up gamers), and stuff like that? I agree i dont like crippleware but the money to pay for these things isnt gonna appear out of thin air

XLink's mirrors / binary servers are provided free by our community. The orbital servers are provided by the community.

TD
dfunked
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 1:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Gotta love thin air Smile
TheDaddy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 3:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

What is it they say over there?

"pwned" ??

TD
[IXS]Porsj
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 4:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

TheDaddy wrote:
What is it they say over there?

"pwned" ??

TD

LOL! I hate that word... it just doesn't make any sense.

[MF]wishy
Kai Admirer
Kai Admirer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 4:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

whats it mean?? (excuse my uneducatedness;))
[IXS]Porsj
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 4:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It's a rewritten version of 'owned'. Which means that you are a lot better than someone and have humiliated him/her.

For example, if you play a game of Halo and you win 25-1, you''ve 'pwned' or 'owned' your opponent.

'pwnage' is another form of it.

*brrrrrr* I hope people don't start to use it here.... it's rather stupid.

[MF]wishy
Kai Admirer
Kai Admirer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 4:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

yes it is Smile

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic