Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

ps i have dsl.
moosebox
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Using Halo2 as an example:

Live! has Matchmaking and Optimatch, using these Live is able to connect you to people with goods connections/pings(to you, and you to them) which results in a lag free game. So live can be better for you if you are having trouble finding people with great connections or people that live near you to play on Kai.

But, if you take a 10 friends and play on Kai, then take the same 10 friends and play on Live! the lag will be the same.(with the same person hosting)

So the answer to your quesiton is Yes and No, depends what game you are playing and who you are playing with.

Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

XBox Live has matchmaking, Kai has none, you do the match making yourself.

But a ping is a ping. Because you're on XBox Live doesn't make your pings to the same person on the same connection at the same time of day any lower, no matter what marketing rubbish XBox might throw at you//

Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Would it really be that difficult to implement a matchmaking service? As I've said before, one of the main things I'm looking forward to in future updates is the ability to rank the list of servers (especially in XBMC) in order of ping, so surely this could be automated by allowing you to enter other variables such as location, amount of players etc, just as this "matchmaking" does?

From what I understand all service is good for is finding players close to you, surely by ordering them in ping time. If somehow the Xlink app read each of the hosts pings in the main arenas, and listed them in order at the touch of a button, it would be achieving the same thing surely?

DaWarLord wrote:
hey man i did and nothing is working man ... is it possible the internets just down?
Dolfhin
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

mecca @ Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:01 am wrote:
Would it really be that difficult to implement a matchmaking service? As I've said before, one of the main things I'm looking forward to in future updates is the ability to rank the list of servers (especially in XBMC) in order of ping, so surely this could be automated by allowing you to enter other variables such as location, amount of players etc, just as this "matchmaking" does?

From what I understand all service is good for is finding players close to you, surely by ordering them in ping time. If somehow the Xlink app read each of the hosts pings in the main arenas, and listed them in order at the touch of a button, it would be achieving the same thing surely?

Geolink will allow you to see the games that are close to you.
[MF]Acid
Kai Enthusiast
Kai Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

on Geolink this will help us out on lag free games on here

but have no clue if its still in dev or is on hold

-[AKZ]-vh_202
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

i think one reason is that there is nowhere near enough players on xlink compared to XBL to implement a matchmaking service that makes a huge difference
mecca
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I just hope they cater for the XBMC users - my pc is at least 30 ft away from my computer and I'd have to run back and forth to use Geolink, but even then I wouldnt be able to run the thing because I have a 333mhz celeron and 64mb ram, sad really.

DaWarLord wrote:
hey man i did and nothing is working man ... is it possible the internets just down?
Big_Evil89
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

okay i lagg if someone is in new york state and im from toronto canada so won't i lagg the same in live unless is live alot more stable!
Dolfhin
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

mecca @ Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:11 am wrote:
I just hope they cater for the XBMC users - my pc is at least 30 ft away from my computer and I'd have to run back and forth to use Geolink, but even then I wouldnt be able to run the thing because I have a 333mhz celeron and 64mb ram, sad really.

Well you don't exactly need a state-of-the-art machine to display a list of 20 games closest to you. Sure you'll have to miss all the fancy maps but you'll still be able to chose some lag free games Very Happy
dfunked
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Big_Evil89 @ Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:25 am wrote:
okay i lagg if someone is in new york state and im from toronto canada so won't i lagg the same in live unless is live alot more stable!

How can it be when they both work peer-to-peer?

Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Two factors will probably get you more lag free games on live than on xlink.

1 Live optimatches, so it's like forced geolink. Even if you check pings inrooms before you enter there is still the chance that someone will come in with a bad ping and screw it up for you. Another part of optimatch is that it automatically has people with good hosting ability set as host, so you avoid the whole problem of people who try to host on 256 up, just don't know what their up is, or don't care. These situations often lead to the first 2 or 3 people joining getting good ping, and then the play degrading significantly after that. Optimatch prevents this by only letting people with good connections host.

2. Live has MANY more players than xlink. The chances of finding a game with lots of good pingers is obviuosly higher if you have a larger pool to choose from. Last check LIVE had many more users than XLINK. Given not all those players are playing halo2 all the time, but it's still a lot more. So given more people to choose from, you will be more likely to find a better game.

So just because you lag in xlink does not mean you will lag in live, however it doesn't rule it out either. If you happen to live in an area where there are not a lot of other people with good connections, or your connection isn't so hot, or you don't know how to choose a good game, you may experience bad games with xlink, while LIVE might be able to remedy those problems for you (by providng a larger user base, and optimatching).

On the other hand LIVE costs money, may not improve your gaming experience (if you have a bad net connection nothing can fix that, and if you live in the boondocks 300 miles from civilization (not sure how you get broadband then but...) you might still be screwed. That and LIVE will ban you if you have a modded xbox.
Big_Evil89
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Okay so if i play someone in new york with live iw on't lagg but xlink iwill?
Devedander
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ummmm.. did you read the posts?

If you are talking about the same person, the gameplay should be the same on live or on xlink.

The only thing that might make a difference is whoyou pick to host your gameon xlink.
dfunked
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

He's gone and posted the exact same question on the XBC forums - how much more reassurance do you need?

Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

im beginning to seriously become disillusioned with some very large sections of the human race.
you get ppl here that cant figure out quite simple things.i have learn most of this stuff from trial and error.
y cant everyone else. i dont consider myself to be particularly intelligent but i think what the difference is i actually put effort in.
sorry for the rant guys but i arent even expected to answer this stuff and it pisses me off. i cant imagine how you feel about it
[MF]mkjones
Kai Lover
Kai Lover

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

-[AKZ]-vh_202 @ Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:41 am wrote:
im beginning to seriously become disillusioned with some very large sections of the human race.
you get ppl here that cant figure out quite simple things.i have learn most of this stuff from trial and error.
y cant everyone else. i dont consider myself to be particularly intelligent but i think what the difference is i actually put effort in.
sorry for the rant guys but i arent even expected to answer this stuff and it pisses me off. i cant imagine how you feel about it

Not everyone is perfect man Wink

(thankfully I am)

FPS: XIII - Halo (1&2) - UC - R63(BA) - TS2 - SO:RM - Wolfenstien
DRV: Midtown 3 - OutRun 2 - FlatOut
3PS: MA - SW:BF
SPT: Links 2004 - TopSpin - Amped 2
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Big_Evil89
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

[MF]mkjones @ Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:56 pm wrote:
-[AKZ]-vh_202 @ Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:41 am wrote:

Not everyone is perfect man Wink

(thankfully I am)

yeah i know!
Mailbox
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

it all depends on the connection the host has and how many people that are playing in his game. if u use the xlink program it says right there that if you have a certain connectio limit your room to 6 or less people.
XCTtyler
Kai Lover
Kai Lover

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

WoW, I'm so tired of these questions -- Maybe we should open up XBC and XBL forums as well -- and gamespy -- and w/e else sux.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic