FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Definitive PS2 setup guide. View next topic
View previous topic
TheDaddy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey,

We're gonna get a chunk of new PS2 guys in here, because GT4 has hit in the US. Here's a little document to help you get going - PLEASE use it in conjunction with the existing "quick setup guide", the FAQ and the "Search" button in here..

Step 1 - Installing Kai
-------------------------

Easy this one, get it from the downloads section, run it. It will install. Run it from Start menu. The first time, it will download loads of stuff it needs - if this doesnt work - *keep trying* - if it still doesn't work, you have some software (firewall? weird proxy setup?) which is stopping the app from downloading stuff over HTTP (port 80). The app will attempt to use IE's web proxy settings, if they exist and are enabled. As a last resort, ask nicely for a *mod/admin* to link to a zip of the pacakges for you.

Step 2 - Get an XTag, Sign in
----------------------------------

Signup ison our website, so go there. Do that, verify your email thingy. Use it to log into Kai.

Step 3 - Checking If You're Reachable
--------------------------------------------

Kai can bust its was through most firewalls / NAT / routers, but sometimes it can get killed by evil firewalls etc. So, press the little "World" icon at the top of the app. You will go to Arena mode. From the list, press the small -> on the XBox bit (yeah I know you don't have an xbox - bear with me here). Navigate, in the same way, First person shooters, halo2, americas. Once you're in there, we can check if you can be contacted by other players. Press the magnifying glass at the top of the app. You will see a list of stuff. Network reachable should change, within 5 seconds, to "Yes". If it does, great, if not, you may need to open a UDP port, or configure your firewall. This is where the search button, Quickstart and FAQ are useful. If you're really dying, post a help request in the right forum.

Step 4 - Making sure Kai can talk to your PS2
----------------------------------------------------

This is perhaps the nastiest bit. For the techies out there, I will summarise. Kai acts as a DHCP server - and will tell you your console has Failed to Configure, unless it could assign it's own sick looking IP address / subnet to it. For the noobs, here's what to do:

Turn your ps2 on, go into gt4, try to join a game. It doesn't matter where you are in Kai - you arent expecting to find a game yet. Press the magnifying glass for diagnostics, then the little folder under it. If it says no consoles detected, you need to check your cabling and firewalls. If it says configured successfully, excellent - move on. If it says failed, do the following:

* Restart Kai and restart ps2 each time your try the things below*

a.) If you have a 2nd network card in your PC, connect the ps2 directly to it using a Crossover cable (couple of USD). Restart Kai, it will work (usually).

b.) If you don't have a 2nd network card and a crossover cable, but can afford to buy one, go buy one. It's a hell of a lot easier.

c.) You must be using a router I guess.. So, look in your router. See if you can block the MAC address of the PS2 - ie stop the router from providing the ps2 with an IP address. Hopefully, with this done, Kai will be able to do it.

d.) If you've got this far, and you're still knackered, you need to post me your PS2 mac address (its a 12 digit number, on the back of the bba .. probably something like 00144a22acd3). *When I get time*, I will reply telling you a bunch of settings. You need to setup the IP settings in GT4 to match what I say. One day, I'll make a little app so you can do this yourselves. Watch the news for that.

Step 5 - Playing the game Smile
---------------------------------

OK.. You've got "Reachable: Yes" and a nice green Successfully configured ps2. Excelent. Press the world icon (for Arena mode). Use the -> Arrows to dig down into the gt4 arena, then press the real slim > on the far right edge of the app. This will open a nice chat window, meet people in here and decide to play. I SUPER STRONGLY recommend you use private arenas for ANY AND ALL GT4 GAMES.. Playing in the "main" gt4 arena will work, but will be super laggy if a lot of guys are in there.

Cheers, and enjoy this excellent game.

TD
91SEE-ARE-EX-Si
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Nice. Thanks for the help.
redshiftin
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I tried every possible scenario listed. Is Kai trying to broadcast only to MACs with the prefix 00:14? I have a Slim PS2 with the MAC as the following:

00:13:15:2b:8e:08

Thanks,

Ian
LiquidMetal14
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

hope this makes sense but anytihng above 2 player action wont work for me...i keep the lan settings in gt4 for me to host and the players at and monitors at 1..am i doing something wrong?
dfunked
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

redshiftin @ Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:14 am wrote:
I tried every possible scenario listed. Is Kai trying to broadcast only to MACs with the prefix 00:14? I have a Slim PS2 with the MAC as the following:

00:13:15:2b:8e:08

Thanks,

Ian

Never seen this MAC prefix before - maybe there's a new prefix now.

Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

dfunked,

Please let me know if you need any additional information to assist in the diagnoses of this issue.

Thanks,

Ian
squall182
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I can't find any way to block certain mac addresses with my router. heres my mac address 00:04:1F:03:DA:2A
thanks
CalPolyRacer
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The network adapter was given to me, but I never got a CD w/ it. Is there way to find the MAC address w/ out the CD?

Nevermind, got it: 00:04:1f:06:a0:88
KiLLa714
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

i have a cat-5 wire but i dont know if its cross-over. on the cable it says:
(ul) e129760-c type cm utp 24awg cat5e
if i have a cross over cable aleady i dont want to buy 2 im on a tight budget.
stockFD3S
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the walk through.
AKARaist
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

To check if its a crossover cable, just hold the two ends side-by-side, facing the same way, and check if all the wires are the same, left to right. If they are, its not crossover.
ScottyRice
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I can't find any way to block certain mac addresses with my router. My MAC address is 00:04:1F:0B:15:22

Thanks for any help
Monster_Zero
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Dutch13 @ Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:16 am wrote:
I can't find any way to block certain mac addresses with my router. My MAC address is 00:04:1F:0B:15:22

Thanks for any help

What kind of Router are you using? Do you mean, you cant find WHERE to put your MAC addy, within your Router setup?
DaSoulShaker
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

how can i block my mac adress i have a netgear router
discopotato
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

[quote="DaSoulShaker @ Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:08 pm"]how can i block my mac adress i have a netgear router[/quote
ya same here and my mac address is 00:04:1f:20:1b:ca]
MrRacer
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

ps2 mac is 00:04:1F:0D:89:D2 Thanks for the help
TLonghorns
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

My PS2 MAC address is 00:04:1f:be:31:43. I have read the forums and did the walkthroughs and still can't get my ps2 to recognize. It does tell me that the Network is reachable. I also have the slim PS2. If anyone has any help... please let me know.
SaintKamus
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

PS2 slim here... first i tried kaistation.. no luck, then i figured, "oh well, kaistation doesn't work, i'll just use the windows xlink" welp.. no luck either, xlink won't recognize my PS2, then i tought.."Ok.. so i'll use a direct conection instead of the router..." No luck either, is there salvation for me??

here's my PS2 Mac adress:
00:13:15:24:9B:AA
(intrestingly, a friend that is a total newbie at this got his PS2 to work in the first try following my instructions.. his big old ps2 is detected right away after he searches for game)

anyway, i want to play GT4 more than anything versus my friends, since i get 20 MS ping to them... so if you can help, it would be greatly apritiated.
thanks in advance.
craig_kun
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have tried many different netowrking setups with my Slim PS2, router with straighthough cable, and even 2 NICs with crossover cable and Kai doesnt detect my PS2. I have NO software firewalls at all. I am though network reachable which is good.

my MAC address is: 00:13:15:20:bd:d5

Please advise.
Fuzzypumpkins
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

00:04:1f:0b:37:40

MY mac address for my ps2

please help.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic