Are you using a port-forward? No
Is your console being detected? No
Brief description of your network setup (include model numbers):
Router = Billion 743ge
XBox = hardwired to router with cat5 cable
PC = D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G DWL-G520 wireless NIC
Do you use a software firewall? What brand? Have you made any changes to it? No
Operating System? Windows XP Pro, SP 2
Problem description? My console is not being detected.

Contents of kaiUserConfig.txt

[KaiUserConfig]
kaiUsername=pyrofusion
kaiPassword=********
kaiPort=0
kaiDeepPort=0
kaiAccept=LOCAL
kaiTimeout=NOUI
kaiNIC=2
kaiLaunch=BOTH
kaiHomebrew=OFF
kaiPAT=OFF
kaiAutoLogin=ON
kaiAllowBadNICS=ON
kaiWireless=
kaiUI=Default

Network setup, problem, and back story:

My setup is: The xbox (ip:192.168.1.121) is wired to the router (ip:192.168.1.254), and the pc (ip:192.168.1.50) is connecting to the router using a DLink DWL-G520 wireless NIC.

My xbox's mac address is compatible with kai.

I picked this NIC after contacting the company that produces that list of cards which support promiscuous mode: http://www.tamos.com/products/commwifi/adapterlist.php

Their advice, which I don't think many people are away of was the following: All the cards on that list have hardware which is capable of operating in promiscuous mode, however very few ship with drivers which support promiscuous mode. I've noticed many people with cards on the above list ask for help and never get it working, and I think the reason is they didn't have an appropriate driver.

They also told me my particular card doesn't ship with drivers that support promiscuous mode. They were kind enough to send me a driver which does support promiscuous mode for my card though.

I found this thread Console Not Detected where the setup is identical to mine (except for the router), and it looks like the guy couldn't get it to work, probably for the reasons above.

So I now have a card which absolutely, positively, supports promiscuous mode, but there is still something wrong with my setup.

So, anyone have any ideas as to why my console is not detected?

And one more question: have you or anyone you know managed to get the above setup (xbox wired to router, pc connected wirelessly to router) to work with any wireless promiscuous NIC? I haven't found any posts from people where it has worked.

Cheers!
pyrofusion
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Anyone?
JMAPUK
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:40 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I must admit that i do not have the same setup but it is very close, i have a netgear wireless game adapter (wge111) that then connects to my DG834GT with then talks to my lappy via a NETGEAR WG511T (that says on the http://www.tamos.com/products/commwifi/adapterlist.php web site that it supports promiscious mode, phoning netgear in the Uk & USA both siad that it does but hey i can ping the xbox from lappy i can stream music and films thought the lappy to the XBMC but alass i cannot see my xbox though KAI nor can i join games. The port is forwarded and i have no software firwalls installed, it sound like to me that some though from someone who is a GOD is needed...... and yes i do know that transfering data like films and music is different to the way inwhich kai works!!!!!
pyrofusion
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 1:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hmm... I agree we need some help from one of the kai 'gods' around here. If a mod/developer sees this, even if you don't have any suggestions to resolve the particular problems we are having, could you just confirm the existence of working kai setups using a promiscuos wireless card?

So far I haven't seen any evidence that such mythical beasts exist, however I really want to believe it is possible.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic