FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 offline LAN games View next topic
View previous topic
s3jgertner
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 4:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Temporarily in dorm-type environment with a bunch of guys with Xbox and wireless-capable laptops. However, no broadband while we're stuck here, only dial-up. I do have a linksys router- is it possible to have everyone log onto my offline LAN and run xbox games this way via xlink?
Any help would be appereciated- would save a lot of work hauling around TV and xboxes or frustration playing on split screen. Would have over 40 possible players on this LAN on the floors around me...
Had no problems running xlink on broadband, can't figure out how to get things to work this way though.
MeanMF
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

s3jgertner @ Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am wrote:
Temporarily in dorm-type environment with a bunch of guys with Xbox and wireless-capable laptops. However, no broadband while we're stuck here, only dial-up. I do have a linksys router- is it possible to have everyone log onto my offline LAN and run xbox games this way via xlink?

If you are on the same LAN you don't need xlink or the laptops at all. Just plug the xboxes into the network and fire up a system link game.
chardonnayii
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've had very small LAN games and all you need is to connect all your xboxes to the same network. Kai would probably make it harder.
s3jgertner
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 5:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

OK- you guys are right- running a network without xlink is simpler- but I'm taking about multiple Xbox/TV combos on different floors and 20+ people hopping on or off at the same time. Microsoft is stingy enough to charge $100 for the xbox wireless link. And there's no way we can run hundreds of feet of cable in the hallways to form a wired network. Thus- my attempted solution is to use xlink to link all the wireless laptops in this building and thus play Xbox multiplayer via the wireless laptop connection we all already have. No more money or movig of TV/Xbox every time we want to play- can this be done?
MeanMF
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 6:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

s3jgertner @ Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am wrote:
OK- you guys are right- running a network without xlink is simpler- but I'm taking about multiple Xbox/TV combos on different floors and 20+ people hopping on or off at the same time. Microsoft is stingy enough to charge $100 for the xbox wireless link. And there's no way we can run hundreds of feet of cable in the hallways to form a wired network. Thus- my attempted solution is to use xlink to link all the wireless laptops in this building and thus play Xbox multiplayer via the wireless laptop connection we all already have. No more money or movig of TV/Xbox every time we want to play- can this be done?

I think you'd have to set up your own private orbital server on your LAN and have everybody connect to it.. I have no idea how you'd go about doing that.

It's not much better than the MS one, but Linksys makes a wireless adapter for around $60 (802.11b) or $85 (802.11g).
TheDaddy

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 6:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You can do this with a Deep Resolution Server - send me a PM and we'll see if it can work.

TD

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic