FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Sony Considers 2005 for PS3 ??? View next topic
View previous topic
redwolf
Team XLink Moderator
Team XLink Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 8:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
In a surprising twist on the next generation hardware race, a Sony representative has stated that a year 2005 release for the next generation PlayStation is a possibility.
IGN

i'm gonna be broke end of the year Confused

and other news...
Quote:
And Sony's next system is expected to have twice the power of the Xbox 360
Yahoo

Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 8:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

They Wish!
djveeman
Kai Admirer
Kai Admirer

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 9:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Shadow_Dog @ Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am wrote:
They Wish!

what exactly do they wish?
Praxis
Kai Admirer
Kai Admirer

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 12:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I hope not. The PS3 is set to pwn the XBox 360.

If they bump the PS3 to 2005, then the PS3 cannot have Blu-ray (it won't be available yet or will be too expensive if it is). Meaning the PS3 will use standard DVD's. Meaning the PS3 will have no storage advantage over the XBox 360 like Sony promised.

Plus the graphics card will be equal.

So much for your "quantum leap", Sony Rolling Eyes

Nah, I doubt this. I hope not. It would also make Nintendo rush their console.
[MF]wishy
Kai Admirer
Kai Admirer

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 3:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:

lol thats what they all say!!

and i actually heard that the company who've developed blu-ray technology have pull out of agreement with sony and are shackin up with some other electronics giant. dont hold me to that tho Smile

Kai Admirer
Kai Admirer

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 4:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

[MF]wishy @ Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am wrote:
Quote:

lol thats what they all say!!

and i actually heard that the company who've developed blu-ray technology have pull out of agreement with sony and are shackin up with some other electronics giant. dont hold me to that tho Smile

For the 2x thing...uhm...
You can't really compare processors of different architectures like that. Especially processors with as whacked an architecture as the Cell.

Sure, the Cell might be 2x or 3x better than the XBox at SOME THINGS, but from the design of the Cell it sucks at certain types of work as well. So it'll be better in some ways and worse and others. You can't just call two processors of different types so many times faster.

For Blu-Ray- Sony is the company that developed Blu-ray Wink Or at least they are head of the Blu-ray consortium.
dbldown768
Kai Enthusiast
Kai Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 4:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

you can complain about everything sony has done. in fact both microsoft and nintendo are using the same models on their new systems. both are able to stand on their sides. MS, moved their black and white to the shoulders of the controllers, added memory cards to the base of the unit, and change the crazy usb ports to the standard usb port.

so as much as some want to put down sony they have started trends in the market place.

IMO i wasnt to impress with the little footage MTV showed, but the leap from xbox to xbox2 at this point doesnt appear to be that great - but that doesnt mean im not getting one.
Shadow_Dog
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 5:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

they wish that they had a better concle than microsoft!

Xbox 360 GOGO!
[FUNK]
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 5:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

XBox is going to make Sony go bankrupt. By Sony, thanks for the hedgehog Very Happy

Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 5:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

[quote="dbldown768 @ Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am"]so as much as some want to put down sony they have started trends in the market place.
[quote]

almost all the trends in the market place with regards to controllers, etc. where created by nintendo, first with shoulder buttons (snes) first with analog (n64) and if sony was so good why do they keep making systems with only 2 controller ports?? just so you HAVE to buy the multitap? Rolling Eyes

Kai Admirer
Kai Admirer

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 5:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

SS-Funk @ Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am wrote:
XBox is going to make Sony go bankrupt. By Sony, thanks for the hedgehog Very Happy

What hedgehog...?

Shadow_Dog @ Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am wrote:
they wish that they had a better concle than microsoft!

Xbox 360 GOGO!

LOL, you realize that the only reason the XBox was so much better than the PS2 was the year in between them right?

The PS3 is coming out last this time. We don't know enough to pass judgement. Yet you're already proclaiming the XBox 360 to be console king...LOL.

When the Revolution comes out, if the Aries rumor is true...I will be laughing at you Laughing Otherwise fine, I'll compare all the specs and get the one that suits me best.

The PS3 will almost certainly be faster than the XBox 360 though, short of Sony bumping up the launch date. And Nintendo and Sony are both offering free online, Microsoft is not.
Praxis
Kai Admirer
Kai Admirer

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 5:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

[quote="Schism @ Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am"][quote="dbldown768 @ Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am"]so as much as some want to put down sony they have started trends in the market place.
Quote:

almost all the trends in the market place with regards to controllers, etc. where created by nintendo, first with shoulder buttons (snes) first with analog (n64) and if sony was so good why do they keep making systems with only 2 controller ports?? just so you HAVE to buy the multitap? Rolling Eyes

Both Sony and Nintendo start trends.

Sony made the first CD only console (well, did the Sega Saturn use disks? I never played one), and started the trend of vertical consoles. Sony pioneered camera games with the EyeToy.

Nintendo made the shoulder buttons, the A/B/Start/Select buttons, the trigger (N64 had the first trigger IIRC), first with analog stick...Nintendo had the eyetoy idea before Sony, it just didn't take off- there was a GameBoy Color camera that was pretty cool and similar to the EyeToy, though it failed.

Microsoft really just applied some PC concepts of online play, and dumped the console to get the best graphics. It may have been the best due to the later release date and dumping and best online support, but Microsoft didn't think of anything particularly innovative other than graphics.

Whether you like the console or not...whether you think its the best because of better graphics and online play...Microsoft is not the innovative one.
redwolf
Team XLink Moderator
Team XLink Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 6:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

does it really matter who made what first ^

I have owned EVERY console since NES... yes even the handhelds. So not gonna be fanboy or biased to what is better and what is not.

If any of them company has ideas...its NINTENDO (even the Virtual Boy and Nintendo DS is revolution in term of ideas, and Pokemons Razz ), but they are too tight (maybe poor)...let me explain.

Sony wanted to partner with Nintendo back is SNES day to release the SNES 2 but as Sony requested more money from Nintendo, so partnership collapsed. So came the birth of the Playstation. Most ideas were NOT Sony's but Nintendo's Wink Sony even stole their shoulder button to add extra 2 more button Rolling Eyes

RARE were partner with Nintendo. Both working together made few of the greatest games still to date. Goldeneye, Banjo, Donkey Kong, Killer Instinct. But Nintendo been so tight, and couldn't pay as RARE wanted, so the partnership broke. With it, even RARE separated and lost their main developers, where the made their own company (Free Radical) to make Time Splitters.

But now RARE is working exclusively for Microsoft. Even though the main developers/directors are not there.

Even Sega lost out when they partnered with Microsoft to make the Dreamcast. If Microsoft is that rich and cared, then they would have atleast did something to help Sega...but as PS2 came later... so the death of Dreamcast and Sega. Did Microsoft save it, even though they had money? No. They couldn't do nothing as the PS2 were better in term of hardware!

But Microsoft thought they'll take the risk and gave birth to Xbox with LIVE and Harddisk (N64 DD anyone Wink ). Been released AFTER PS2 didn't do as much damage to Sony did it? Xbox is way better in term of hardware power, but, Sony still going (if even more successfully) with their PS2.

Sony TV, Sony DVD, Sony Hifi System and Xbox will look "out of place" for some nutters out there Rolling Eyes

So the conclusion is that doesn't really matter who has the best ideas or the best Hardware power... Sony still makes money, as people will buy Anything with their fucking overpriced tag. Evil or Very Mad

/£0.02p

Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 7:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

redwolf @ Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am wrote:
Microsoft thought they'll take the risk

and even though that risk lost them losts of money they still came out a solid second place in terms or market share, now if your a company and you lose a lot of money on your first console I would only imagine that you would learn your lesson and capatilize on yours and other machines mistakes and release something no one else could touch! do you think MS would set themselves up to lose even more money with the 360? I don't bill gates got as rich as he is today by making stupid decisions Rolling Eyes

Kai Admirer
Kai Admirer

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 7:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Schism @ Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am wrote:
Microsoft thought they'll take the risk

and even though that risk lost them losts of money they still came out a solid second place in terms or market share, now if your a company and you lose a lot of money on your first console I would only imagine that you would learn your lesson and capatilize on yours and other machines mistakes and release something no one else could touch! do you think MS would set themselves up to lose even more money with the 360? I don't bill gates got as rich as he is today by making stupid decisions Rolling Eyes

A few things...
1) Solid second place? Check the market share charts...
B) Thing is, Microsoft was dumping the console, which is actually illegal. That is, they were selling it for far less than it cost to build with no intention to make a profit, in order to grab market share. That's illegal in the United States.
Praxis
Kai Admirer
Kai Admirer

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 8:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

does it really matter who made what first ^

You might have misunderstood my point- I was trying to say that both Nintendo and Sony have thought of equally good ideas, not that one was better.

Quote:

RARE were partner with Nintendo. Both working together made few of the greatest games still to date. Goldeneye, Banjo, Donkey Kong, Killer Instinct. But Nintendo been so tight, and couldn't pay as RARE wanted, so the partnership broke. With it, even RARE separated and lost their main developers, where the made their own company (Free Radical) to make Time Splitter

Actually, Microsoft bought Rare for $395 million. No partner ships breaking there, they just bought them outright. Then everyone at Rare quit and kept making games for Nintendo.
Schism
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 8:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

praxis you make me shit Very Happy

MS does have a good second place of the market share ... no if ands or buts, sony is the leader by far! Billgates wouldn't be throwing so much money into this if he felt he would lose like last time... it would not be a good business decison, the dreamcast failed ... you don't see sega releasing a new system do you? Once again you don't become the richest fucker in the world by making poor business decisions! And nintendo is the only company that takes chances that is a given they also have enough revenue to take those chances!! I personally hate sony I have a ps2 and had a ps1 but that doesn't change the fact that they still suck everyone talking about the cell processor... let us remeber the Emotion Engine and how people said it would produce the same effects as toy story in real time, lol yeah it was the same as ps1 same controller same exact games with a bit better graphics, people will by a sony product regardless of anything else just because it says "sony"!! Look at it this way, just cause nike sells the most shoes doesn't make them the most comfortable or universal shoe available! Rolling Eyes

Kai Enthusiast
Kai Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 5:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

well im definately no fanboy for either system. I have a ps2 that i played all the time, then i got into modding an xbox a few years ago, and the ps2 ended up in the closet.

now xbox does sport a better graphics and sound, but that is definately do to the time of the release.

if anyone should get credit for the new xbox 360 features, its the users. it seems like MS just added in products that users created with their modded xbox - XBMC, changeable faceplates, etc.

I'm sure the 360 will have better graphic (due to the fact of new technology) but they can thank all of us for the ideas.
TheDaddy

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 6:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah i agree - the 360 is build from scene ideas... XBMC really made gates sit up and think..

From what I can infer, the next gen battle will be 360 vs PS3.. Nintendo are last at the moment, and coming to market last this time round - that's not good. It also doesnt help that Bill is buying all their better 3rd party studios.. Lol..

TD
Mastaful
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 11:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

yea maybee if nintendo would get out of the "kiddie games" area they would do better

im supprised 360 doesnt have a LCD screen with some Xecuter buttons Laughing

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic