FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 OutRun2 Vs Burnout 3 View next topic
View previous topic
Poll :: New racers - Burnout 3 or OutRun2?

Burnout 3
73%
 73%  [ 36 ]
OutRun2
26%
 26%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 49

[MF]mkjones
Kai Lover
Kai Lover

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Both new Racers out at the moment, I love em both and Im not really a race game fan. I think I like both equally but for different reasons.

Burnout 3
Amazing game, love the simple controls and "boost" system and crashing is spectacular. Also the other game modes like takedown and crash are great Smile

Single player is sadly the only way to play this game. Luckely the "bot" cars are rather inteligent at times, and although they can never really take down other cars as well as real life players they always put up a good fight.

However, no online play over Kai is a bummer Sad and multiplayer split screen is also quite poor IMO. I hoped this would be sort of an "Unreal with cars" type game, sadly its not Sad

But overall it has a lot more lastability (is that a word?) than OutRun2.

BTW: I did a little review of Burnout 3 on my website if you care.. click here

OutRun2
A classic arcade game reborn. I never really loved the origional but have to say this really does impress me Smile

The cartoon like artificial gameplay is great. For example the hugely unrealistic "drifts" that can go on for miles Smile and the fact that when you crash you just "land" and carry on (after an ear bashing from your bird).

The other game options are ok, such as Heart mode and other "task" style modes. Some do get repetitive after a while, however the graphics and scenery are arcade perfect and make up for that Wink

A harder driving experience than B3, you can tell right away its more more hardcore race fans as you get the "Manual/Automatic" gear shift option thats not availiable in B3.

Online play with Kai is one main reason I got this and it does rock Razz A must have for any Kai user.

Rolling Eyes Anyone else agree/dissagree??

FPS: XIII - Halo (1&2) - UC - R63(BA) - TS2 - SO:RM - Wolfenstien
DRV: Midtown 3 - OutRun 2 - FlatOut
3PS: MA - SW:BF
SPT: Links 2004 - TopSpin - Amped 2
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
taz
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

OutRun 2 purely because i can play it online, and i just get nostalgic playing it.

Burnout 3 is great if you have a few people round, not for the split screen mode, although its fun, but just passing the pad over after each race and watching your mates faces when they are going 300mph into a brick wall.
[MF]mkjones
Kai Lover
Kai Lover

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

taz wrote:
OutRun 2 purely because i can play it online, and i just get nostalgic playing it.

True Razz unfortuanatly like I said, the origional never did it for me, simply becuase it cost be £££££ in the arcades and I NEVER got off level 1 Sad

taz wrote:
Burnout 3 is great if you have a few people round, not for the split screen mode, although its fun, but just passing the pad over after each race and watching your mates faces when they are going 300mph into a brick wall.

Never tried that, I was really upset about split screen as I love single player, may give it another shot when the lads are round Razz

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
SS-CybrPunk
Kai Enthusiast
Kai Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I haven't played Outrun 2 yet, but I've been playing Burnout 3 a lot lately and I absolutely LOVE THIS GAME.

In addition to playing on Kai, I play on Live as well. I rented this game to see what the playability on Live is like and I am in love. I was previously a big Project Gothem Racing 2 fan, but I'm now converted and this is the game of my choice as far as racers go. I do, however, see a large problem with the ranking system and being kicked from games early in your racing career due to being unranked. I haven't had the time to build up much in the way of points yet, so I'm still unranked and often removed from rooms with people who are only concerned with stats. This will change over time, I would hope.

True, no system link play is a real bummer but I will be picking this game up to play on Live for sure. It's well worth it IMHO.

I'll be grabbing a copy of Outrun 2 sometime in the near future to check out as well, but I doubt it could be as much fun as Burnout has been thusfar.
[MF]mkjones
Kai Lover
Kai Lover

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3706854.stm

Rolling Eyes

BBC news seem to agree with certain points:

Quote:
Outrun 2's biggest problem is that it is in direct competition with EA's racer Burnout 3, which offers a much more involving and satisfying amount of action and is much better value for money.

Supadoggie
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

[MF]mkjones wrote:
Burnout 3
However, no online play over Kai is a bummer Sad and multiplayer split screen is also quite poor IMO. I hoped this would be sort of an "Unreal with cars" type game, sadly its not Sad

What's the reason for no online play over Kai??

EDIT: nevermind.. no system link = no online play on Kai .. got it!!

I play Burnout 3 all the time over Xbox Live network and I think it's the best part of the game! You're missing out if you dont have a chance to play online.. Confused
musicmaniac
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

i voted for outrun 2, but i love both games !

pro's and con's for each game:

burnout 3:

+ unrivaled speed. no game comes close.
+ superb detailed surroundings and car's.
+ chrash psychics are way cool !
+ chrash sounds nice and crunchy !
+ aftertouche takedowns are way cool !

- not totall controll over drifts.
- terrible music. lucky you can turn it off.
- not playable trough xlink kai
- sometimes the game moves TO fast. sometimes if you see a car or object in your way, you just can not avoid it.

outrun 2

+ truely arcade perfect.
+ the drift controlls just as great with a gamepad as with a steeringwheel in the arcades.
+ way cool extra's. i gues everyone knows what they are (2 bonus tracks from 2 other sega games, 4 extra car's, remakes from all tunes, the old outrun)
+ a new outrun with still that great magical feeling of the past.
+ this CAN be played with xlink kai. and it works like a charm.

- some technical problems when playing over kai, like stages that can't load in.
- the 15 stages in the game can be seen within a day's work.
- those "missions" found in the mission mode are almost exact like the heart mode in the arcades.
- no traffic in multiplayer.

but i love both games. when i have my "off day" with outrun 2, i just pop burnout 3 in to get rid off the stress _O_
j4cky
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

i bought me a headset and crossed link cable and extra lan card just to play outrun 2 online. before i had this, i had to go to my uncle to play outrun 2 online.
boundlessmatrix
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't mind that theres no system link for burnout 3 cause I play for free on my ps2.
Jin__
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Outrun 2 owns Burnout.

Burnout just sucks, too much coincedences and too much lock involed.
The way I see it: Burnout is 25% skill and 75% luck/coincedences. So the game purely and simply sucks.

Outrun 2 on the other hand is more or less 100% skill. The game has its problems, but they are minimal compared to Burnout 3.
TPP27
Video Master
Video Master

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

burnout 3 no question, way more interesting. i find outrun racing to be motonomous / boring.

xr8d.net
Wiz
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I voted for OutRun2 for the same reasons as musicmaniac. OutRun2 is a real marvel for the eyes, I find pleasure in searching for the best trajectory, and the general spirit of the game is cool : you just drive in a beautiful car, through beautiful place, and you try to impress a beautiful lady !

But I dont have the same opinion about Burnout 3. Okay, technically, the game is impressive, most particularly the speed effect. But after this surprise, I found this game really boring. Boring, and with an aggressive spirit. Not cool. Not cool at all ^^ ! The man on the radio can't stop saying things like "Destroy everything !", "CRASH !", "SPEED !", "Explosions !", and I hated him for that because I didn't like this idea of destruction. But I understand that some people like it because it lets off steam (I hope my dictionnary gives me the right words to express what I want to say ^^ ...).

Too bad these games were released in the same period because too many people made the mistake to compare them whereas they really don't have the same idea of an arcade racer. For me, OR2 and B3 are arcade racers, but the comparison has to stop here.
ViErRi
Kai Enthusiast
Kai Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Burnout 3 more action... Wink
HiHi
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

BURNOUT 3 GOTY FOR 2004
Damolee
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 12:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I love Burnout 3 , severely ..... ever since the good ol days of Destruction Derby and Carmageddon , not has there been a game of this type, but Burnout 3 just awed me, im an avid pc gamer use to high end graphics and physics etc in games and thought my Xbox had passed it sell by date, this game ..really did give me my Xbox back, a week later I had my Xbox chipped, and im re-addicted to durable control pads , late nights and Xlink !! ..... !! Thank you Burnout 3 to get my interest back, and thank XLink Kai for helping me to keep it.
Shadow_Dog
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 4:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah, i love Burnout 3 also! Me and my girlfriend played out run 2, we both were swearing at it as hard as we could! so pick up Burnout 3.

PS: Burnout Revenge is coming this year

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic