FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Halo OnJoin Message Idea View next topic
View previous topic
amadeus
Team XLink Moderator
Team XLink Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

AmO wrote:
a small little idea i had that might help would be modify the onjoin message in the halo room, keep the link, but underneath the link add the main points porj refers to

Quote:
- Join the correct arena.
- Do not rush the count.
- The host starts the game.
- Read the chat.
- Don't quit.
- Use private arena's at busy times.
- Don't demand a different gametype when joining.
- Show respect.

I think people are less likely to visit that link, i know many people obviously havent (or they are just plain stupid) as i still get rushed timers all the time, but i think that it would add a simple awareness to everyone that i think (and of course hope) that overtime it would become a non issue. I think it also summarizes many excellent points that if they where just there to begin with and didnt require people to click a link, i think it could raise awareness.

I know another big detractor are people using the dashboard versions of xlink dont see the chat part of it all, the dash's need an upgrade to support the onjoin messages and i think this coupled with listing the main points could help tremendeously.

just my 2 cents,
lemme know what yall think

AmO

DIE-HARD wrote:
all it will do is make the onjoins longer but if everyone thinks this is better feel free to reply, even if you think it's a bad idea reply and let me know

I decided to make this a top and make it more accesible than the topic it was in that wasnt very related.

Post your comments people if you've got em,

AmO
[MF]Tr1pleThr34t
Kai Admirer
Kai Admirer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:40 am Reply with quoteBack to top

How about just putting the "don't rush the counter" rule only.

The rest are either common sense or general rules for any game... or both.

After all, there is already a link to the forum when you the join Halo arena. A simple sentence after the link such as, "failure to comply to these rules may result in a kick or ban.", (or something less sinister) will make sure people read the rules.

Also. All credit to Porsj for the Halo ettiquette runthrough, he's done a great job explaining the rules. However I think that it's a little too long-winded, for lack of a better word, in that format. - if I was a newbie clicking on that link I'd click off straight away. People just want to get into the game and have fun. Especially if they've just set up Kai.

So, maybe the Halo arena should have a link to the main bullet points, which can be clicked on for further explaination (like the faq).

One last thing..... I promise. Smile
Maybe in the next kai update the Halo rules should be a popup box which has a checkbox on it when you scroll down, so after you've read it you can check the box and it won't come up again. Not the best idea, I know but it would save onjoin times from getting longer..... i think.

k, that was just my 2 cents...
All credit to Porsj... great set of rules, just think that they can be presented in a more user friendly way. (unlike this post... i know) Smile
taz
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

hehe.

I think we should get a voice actor (prefrebly female) to record the rules,
and on joining the arena, she tells you.

Quote:
Now boys, play nice.... theres no need to rush things, let the counter go to zero on its own

to be honest I dont like the idea of a huge set of rules when you enter an arena, firstly no one would bother to read them, secondy you start putting loads of rules on people you start to sound anal.

plus you get people saying things like.

Quote:

host: gg, nice kill
player: gg, was fun... could you set it to CTF now... plz
host: READ THE RULES, dont ask me for a different game type
player: sorry, just thought it would be fun
player: bye

while the rule is there to ask people from hounding a host to choose different rule set, and flaming them when they dont, its been turned around and people may even get worried about communicating a little request.

Plus it may be considered condecending to tell people how to behave in public.

When you go out to the shops or to a bar, you dont see signs telling you not to push other people over, or not to swear at passersby... how would you feel if there was?

I would imagine that out of the people who misbehave in chat room and online games, 100% wouldnt follow the rules if they read them.

the exception to this is the dont rush the counter sugestion, as im sure that if players know that waiting half a minute would help reduce lag, then they would.
[MF]Tr1pleThr34t
Kai Admirer
Kai Admirer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

taz wrote:
hehe.

I think we should get a voice actor (prefrebly female) to record the rules,
and on joining the arena, she tells you.

Quote:
Now boys, play nice.... theres no need to rush things, let the counter go to zero on its own

We should try and get Mr. T to say,

"I pity the fool that doesn't let the counter go down!"

Then maybe as the games starting you'd hear,

"I aint getting on no plane" (quote from The A-Team)

...I doubt Mr. T would be that expensive to get nowadays. We could probably get him for a fake gold chain or 2!!! Wink

hehe Laughing

But seriously, Taz makes alot of good points...

...We gotta keep Halo fun. Laughing

That was the whole point of the rules in the 1st place.
amadeus
Team XLink Moderator
Team XLink Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

hmm...i wasnt recommending posting the all the rules on the onjoin...just a simple point or two i think is all thats needed, perhaps porj's summary is a bit much, so maybe something like

- Please dont rush the clock, it helps reduce lag

(now i know that the xbox's will continue to try to sync during the game and all that and maybe thats not the most ACCURATE way of saying it, but i think it is simple and will get the point across to people. I do agree with taz tho that to long of a message will turn people off from reading it. So maybe just take what I said and condense it a bit.

AmO
[MF]Tr1pleThr34t
Kai Admirer
Kai Admirer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

AmO wrote:
hmm...i wasnt recommending posting the all the rules on the onjoin...just a simple point or two i think is all thats needed, perhaps porj's summary is a bit much, so maybe something like

- Please dont rush the clock, it helps reduce lag

(now i know that the xbox's will continue to try to sync during the game and all that and maybe thats not the most ACCURATE way of saying it, but i think it is simple and will get the point across to people. I do agree with taz tho that to long of a message will turn people off from reading it. So maybe just take what I said and condense it a bit.

AmO

Well said AmO... Sounds perfect to me. Very Happy

Imao simplicity is the key here.
Otherwise alot of users will be turned off because they're simply not interested in a ream of techno jargon followed by extensive explainations.

People just wanna play Halo online and they want it to be easy and fun. Laughing

"- Please dont rush the clock, it helps reduce lag" = perfection

IMAO, The rest is just common sense or common courtesy. Laughing
[IXS]Porsj
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

-> I'll edit the post -> Put the most important stuff first -> More explenation in a reply.

Nemesis - A righteous infliction of justice manifested by an appropiate agent.
In this case, a horrible cunt - Me.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic