FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Proposed new signup procedure View next topic
View previous topic
[MF]Outlaw
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

-=OC_Obie @ Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:05 pm wrote:

if your an ass, and your swearing, making offensive remarks then rightly chances are you wouldnt be let in....

Now Obie... You can't make that statement... You've seen how I play, and yet you enjoy playing with me. And as far as racing offensively in games like Forza, it's all part of racing so it's not "cheating". Now I do partake in my FAIR share of trash talk, BECAUSE THIS IS ALL IN FUN! When the hell was this supposed to be not fun... same rule applies to the radio, you don't like what's on then CHANGE THE GODDAMNED STATION. But focus on the important part this is a community, and I'm sorry but if I want to call some one I just beat the crap out of on a game an assbag... I'm entitled to it... along with a nice corpse hump Wink

TheDaddy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It was purposely not discussed in admin/mod forum. If/when it gets done, it will be a pretty large scale change - for everyone - not just admins and mods. Therefore I decided to pitch the idea up on the news, and let *everyone* shoot it out on the same level.

Most things, we dont do that way - but it seemed right for this one.

Anyway, after taking everyones ideas into account, I have a new model ready to show you - I'll put it up on the news later today, and we can start a new thread to chew the new model over.

TD
taz
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

-=OC_Outlaw @ Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:54 am wrote:
-=OC_Obie @ Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:05 pm wrote:

if your an ass, and your swearing, making offensive remarks then rightly chances are you wouldnt be let in....

Now Obie... You can't make that statement... You've seen how I play, and yet you enjoy playing with me. And as far as racing offensively in games like Forza, it's all part of racing so it's not "cheating". Now I do partake in my FAIR share of trash talk, BECAUSE THIS IS ALL IN FUN! When the hell was this supposed to be not fun... same rule applies to the radio, you don't like what's on then CHANGE THE GODDAMNED STATION. But focus on the important part this is a community, and I'm sorry but if I want to call some one I just beat the crap out of on a game an assbag... I'm entitled to it... along with a nice corpse hump Wink

well i think people should have the choice, if they enjoy a more "mature" (using the expresion losely) they should be able to do so, but others who join that game should be aware that they may be an element of shit talking going on.

In the same respect you should be able to play a game without being called names, you should be able too.
TheDaddy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah this thing isnt about the trash talk. People can deal with that fine already. It's not about swearing either - that's not the point.

It's about the really nasty bastards (racial, etc.) and the hackers..

TD
taz
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

In the same respects you need to have warning about the type of content/language you may be exposed to.

eg, If you walked into Macdonalds, an there was a Drunk in there screaming obsenities, you would expect the staff to do something about it.

but in certain pub's (bars) it might be an everyday occurance. I know ive been in places where the patrons are swearing and shouting, and its just something that happens.

But you know before you step over the threshold of the place that you may be subjected to that, the spit and the sawdust gives it away.

But this topic is not what we are discussing and if we were to introduce a "Family Friendly" arena, that would be a seperate issue.

And Shit talking is not nessesarily abuse.
[MF]Outlaw
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't play that way constantly, but I'm saying you should be allowed to speak freely in game. After all this is a free service. No matter what precautions are made there are going to be people that find loopholes in systems and exploit them. And noone can be everywhere at once. And an actual system where anyone has some sort of judgment casting ability just dosen't work. In my opinion Kai's system works just fine, with the exception of the Halo 2 arenas but then again it's mostly kids who'se only life is games. And if someone want's to be racist who are we to judge them... I guarentee life will teach them the respect they need first time they go into the real world and call a black guy the N word... Granted it's rude but even in real life I use those terms... Hell my girlfriend's a spic, but you know I guess I've just been dulled to it seeing it done so often in life and having so many friends of varied cultures. My point is, keep Kai open to the public so that newcomers can get in, so long as they play more than Halo 2 then they should be fine... as far as hackers... you know as well as I do, any more roadblocks you put in their way the harder they're gonna try. I think that the autoupdates M$ is releasing has been fixing some of those issues and most of the modding sites are locking up because of threats being made so I think the problem will sort itself out. So on to a lighter note... what's for dinner?

-=OC_Obie
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

it all depends.

some people may class there offensive remarks as banter or trash-talk.

i feel this is important as we need to set at least a rough guideline on whats right and wrong.

while i'm as bad as the next guy, and will gladly bitch around with someone, i would not result to personal insults (unless in a full blown 2-way argument)

My point is everyone should have respect for others, and if there chosing of words is classed as offensive then it should be upto the individual to change his approach,
(it's not right sayiing, "if you dont like my trash talk, go elsewhere")

otherwise we'restill going to be stuck with racist, and offensive idiots simply because there under the impression they can say and do what they want without punishment

(and before ya ask outlaw this is metaphorical, not directly aimed at you)

[MF]Outlaw
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:40 am Reply with quoteBack to top

lol Damn straight it is Obie... hate to haffa throw down with you an SC and beat ya like a wee girl. But no I see everyone's point and rules and regulations are great, but trying to police EVERYONE spreads far too many resources thin. Hell I RARELY venture outside the Clan room (Unless we go to pwn some assbags on SC *sigh* those were the days Obie... you an me lol) but even then we had that one group, and we handled them quite well, don't know how to shut up after a warning... GONE. Never had an issue from them since. I think the current system is solid... if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

SO_TurmoilTech
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Kai is working fine the way it is. All you need to solve this problem is a Permanant Banning system, kinda like XBC has OMG! eventually the player will just keep getting banned from all the arenas and won't be able to play. And that is esentially the point of all this.

Here's a twist on it though. Set Kai's perm. ban feature to ban peoples IP address rather than the username. Yes of course people know how to change thier IP, but not everyone. This suggestion has it's flaws and so does the "hierarchy" idea. The only difference is that my suggestion will keep the Kai community growing exponentially.

Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
ban feature to ban peoples IP address rather than the username.

What do you think we've been doing? IP's change as much as people change clans.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Also, "keep growing exponentially"?

What stats are you looking at?

Surely not the same ones as me - loads of signups rolling in, but less and less people online week after week?

The excuse "don't fix it - it's not broken" is childish - there is a problem which is already reasonably big, and is only going in one direction. Hence this proposal.

TD
SO_TurmoilTech
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes, but you havn't tried giving us the users the ability to do that. It's so simple it's mind boggling isn't it?!

Someone giving you a problem, Ban then from you're arena.

Someone is Hacking? No problem, Ban then from you're arena.

Someone is being racist and insulting my mother?! BAN THEM FROM YOU'RE ARENA!

And to top it all of, guess what? YOU CAN STILL REPORT THEM TO ADMINS AFTER THEY HAVE BEEN BANNED! YES! And with Banning by IP's being a user feature, if a ban occurs, write down the IP and the username and report it to the admins. In the mean time you won't have to worry about them coming back or any innocent ppl being banned from Kai. Cause they can't get into your game.

All the "hierarchy" idea does is create animosity towards people who are "L337er" than themselves (according to Kai).

However I did find myself thinking of a "usergroup" or "membergroup" like some forums have. Maybe that can be incorperated into the "hierarchy" idea?

I'm just trying to think of options and alternatives that will keep everyone interested and discussing this in an adult manner.

Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Childish!?... CHILDISH!? WTF are you talking about. That saying makes more sense than most I've hear in my life. Look at my country's shitty government (America) They're constantly trying to fix things that don't need fixing... rather than the real problems. and thus fucking us even deeper into the slums we're fast becomming... It amazes me you can say that was a childish comment. If anything it was a compliment, Kai is a FUCKING GREAT SERVICE, but if you keep fixing problems that are only plauging a small portion of the users on here and making that your main goal, people are going to migrate away, and if you designed a great community and were soo happy to hit the 200,000 mark then why the hell would you want to ruin it? Because of a couple little ass-clown halo 2 hackers or the 3 or 4 I've heard of hacking on other games? this makes no sense to me what needs done... is a vote. Make this an open action item and let the people decide

the:one-xr
Kai Lover
Kai Lover

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

SO_TurmoilTech @ Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:03 am wrote:
Kai is working fine the way it is. All you need to solve this problem is a Permanant Banning system, kinda like XBC has OMG! eventually the player will just keep getting banned from all the arenas and won't be able to play. And that is esentially the point of all this.

Here's a twist on it though. Set Kai's perm. ban feature to ban peoples IP address rather than the username. Yes of course people know how to change thier IP, but not everyone. This suggestion has it's flaws and so does the "hierarchy" idea. The only difference is that my suggestion will keep the Kai community growing exponentially.

NO, IT IS NOT. This stuff has been going on for a year now.

And, don't you guys read? Most hackers/cheaters know how to change IP addys, and to all the kiddie followers that found how to hack/cheat from google or wherever, they will also find a tutorial on how to change your pc's IP addy.

and no offense df, but there are waaaay more than 20 hackers/cheaters/asshats on kai.

add more mods? track their activity? make it so you can only play in a hosted game so that the person hosting has control?

even giving the hackers/cheaters their own arena did not work, because they got bored w/ each other and got a rush to come into regular games to see everyone get all worked up....KIDS enjoy this.

SO_, you are 15, and almost all the hackers/cheaters are your age. sorry you take the generalization the wrong way, that's on you buddy. if you are intelligent enough to write in here (NOT like Jo_E), then you should know what my post meant.

[tHc]hicaow
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
In the same respects you need to have warning about the type of content/language you may be exposed to.

every game we play has a warning ..

find more people to play PS2 and GC on kai at www.onlineconsoles.com ... www.ps2onlinegaming.com
taz
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

hicaow @ Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:10 pm wrote:
Quote:

every game we play has a warning ..

yes I agree, but people act differently depending on there suroundings.

ie you wouldnt say "Fuck" at your grandma's but you might use that language while having a discussion with your peers.
dbldown768
Kai Enthusiast
Kai Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

TheDaddy @ Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:45 am wrote:
Also, "keep growing exponentially"?

What stats are you looking at?

Surely not the same ones as me - loads of signups rolling in, but less and less people online week after week?

The excuse "don't fix it - it's not broken" is childish - there is a problem which is already reasonably big, and is only going in one direction. Hence this proposal.

TD

well i dont think its just from the bans, it's because childish people have to keep changing names because they dont like their kai name - and i dont understand why, because in the game you can have any name you want.
[tHc]hicaow
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
nd no offense df, but there are waaaay more than 20 hackers/cheaters/asshats on kai.

i'm also seeing many different views on who exactlly are the people that are being ousted .. cheaters and racists are the intended targets .. not swearing, or name calling .. this isn't kindergarden , i get called an asshole every day , oh no .. i play hockey 3 or 4 times a week with real people in a real arena on real ice and you should hear the rasist remarks to the "with out papers" on my team, hell the one guys name is "brick layer" .. like OC_Outlaw said his girlfriend is a spic (i'm repeating).. i just can't see how people are so sheltered from all of this that they need xlink to protect them .. i've read it in here, give the people the tools to protect themselves .. ban nick names if you can't ban ips, ban mac addys of the xbox , sure they can buy a new one but the 3rd one is gonna be pricey no ? it seems that the general public believes that all these problems are being caused by "kids", so whos offended ? adults ? uh ..

find more people to play PS2 and GC on kai at www.onlineconsoles.com ... www.ps2onlinegaming.com

Last edited by [tHc]hicaow on Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
[MF]Kain
Kai Lover
Kai Lover

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Wow, I just woke up and this thread is freakin huge!!!

Im actually suprised by some of the comments that i have read. I think what people need to remember is this. Xlink is a FREE service. Since it is a FREE service then technically team xlink doesnt OWE you jack or shit. So ultimately anything that happens is really up to the descretion of the team. Its nice that even though the decision is ultimately theirs they still value the end users input ( but lets be honest that has always been the tx way and what makes them the best). So people, please voice your opinions in a constructive way. Dont ever come here with the attitude that xlink OWES it to you to be able to play for free, whenever, wherever, and behave in any manner you like, without being inconvenienced by rules, regulations or restrictions that might interfere with your RIGHTS that you didnt pay for in the first place.

Ok other than that there have been lots of great ideas, lots of good input. I cant wait to see how this thing turns out Cool

Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

No of course the don't owe us anything, however the people of the community's opinion does matter because they are waht makes this work. Without a community beneth it Xlink is nothing more than another piece of software floating on the net, and would get soon forgotten. And just like any community in real life, there are some shit people in it, they get dealt with as things happen, and so should they online. I believe the term is innocent until proven guilty. So once again I say we should have a Nice BIG vote! Let the people decide

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic