FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Gaming Marathon for Charity View next topic
View previous topic
Poll :: Would you play a game for 24+ hours for charity

Yes, I would definetly do it, if its for a good cause
66%
 66%  [ 12 ]
No, I wouldnt, but I would sponser someone.
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Definetly Not, I wouldnt encourage this in any way... are you mad ?
22%
 22%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 18

taz
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Some of us have been discussing the possibilities of having a gaming marathon on kai, over 24 or 48 hours, leaning on the side of 24 hours for reasons of sanity.

The game in question is Unreal Championship, but it could be in any game.

So that all the sore eyes and blistered thumbs that would result from such a frag-fest would not be for nothing, we thought it would be a good idea to do it for charity.

At the moment no one has said they would definatly do it, but a few are seriously considering it.

What are your thought ?

please let us know.
3xodus
Kai Enthusiast
Kai Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

We should do a 24 hour "Look for 1 useful post by Tony" marathon Rolling Eyes

Yea taz, I'd definitely be interested - depending on how many people take part. If it's just 4 or 5 people all day I doubt I could do it, but judging by the UC thread there might be a lot of interest...

Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 12:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

3xodus wrote:
We should do a 24 hour "Look for 1 useful post by Tony" marathon Rolling Eyes

Yea taz, I'd definitely be interested - depending on how many people take part. If it's just 4 or 5 people all day I doubt I could do it, but judging by the UC thread there might be a lot of interest...

Well at the moment, im not looking at actuly take part in the actual gaming part of it, but I would be more than willing to sponser someone to do it.

I would also, try to spend as much time as I could playing with them while the marathon was going on, i'm sure lots more would pop by just to see whats going on, and pass on there regards.

Even if people only pop in for 20 mins, im sure that the particapants would appreciate some new meat to frag.
jas0npc2003
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Tony52 wrote:
i voted F*** NO , i got way better shit 2 do then play a game for 24 hours who the f*** in the right mind would f***ing play a game for 48h? ,is this for real?

Tony, get the i wont piss the admins off tablets down your neck, or you will be banned again.Image
Halo-2
Kai Lover
Kai Lover

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Tony52 wrote:
i voted F*** NO , i got way better shit 2 do then play a game for 24 hours who the f*** in the right mind would f***ing play a game for 48h? ,is this for real?

Tony u can't even spare some time 4 charity, u dont even have 2 go 4 24 hours! Well u know what F*** U!!! and i could probaly go but not 4 24 hours Wink

Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

If we could please try to make this a Flame free post from now on.

Tony is unable to voice his opinion on this forum anymore, so flaming him is pointless. Twisted Evil
quiksilva
Kai Lover
Kai Lover

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah I'm stupid enough to play a game waay too long just as long as it was a weekend... Laughing

Playing through the night is getting to be a regular occurence at the mo. seeing as I have just become hooked playing online RB6 through the time zones... damn the Kai bug bites deep
TPP27
Video Master
Video Master

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

lemme tell you rookies something about 24 hour non-stop playing. yea i've done it, and its not a pretty site... i had a counterstrike marathon a few years back on the pc. about 24 hours non-stop... me and a buddy were voice chatting too... i suddenly just collapsed on the keyboard at about 11am the next morning, it was TKO, lights out, its over baby. I doubt many could pull off such a feat. But if theres like nap/break sessions or something during something like this it would make more sense.

xr8d.net
GoatNinja
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I once played a game for 26 hours actually, it was baldur's gate 2 for pc with the big picture mod and several others...wasn't too bad... but halo would be be different... the adrenal fatigue would take me out much sooner.
[MF]Riao
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Okay.. So far we've got 10 positive responses, with 8 saying they would participate. So I guess at this point the question is: IS this enough to try and organize somthing? Personally I'm for it regardless. I know I can do it. I've stayed awake for much longer than 24, and stay up for 24 on a once weekly basis (well pretty much.. 20 at least, and then I'm forcing myself to finally sleep).

So I'm in for 24. Who else? And if not for 24 then how long? I don't care... 4? 6? 10? Whatever.. just post and tell us what you're willing to do.

So what's up from here? What we need is a list of people that we can pm so that when a date is decided (and anyone who says "I'm in!" gets a say), we can inform of that date. Other details can be sorted out later.

EDIT:
I'd say for dates think about 3 months in advance to give time to get sponsors and such, and to give me time to book the day off from work! Wink

Xbox#1: v1.3..Xecuter 2.6..Ava..ACIDROP
Xbox#2: v1.6..Xenium Ice..Ava..ZitRemedy
CW..QX2..HNMP..R63..GR..UC..THUG..MA..JA..TS2..XIII..PGR2..CS..BF
800kbps Upload
[MF]mkjones
Kai Lover
Kai Lover

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I would love to, but, dunno if I could manage it Smile

What charity? Sport Relief has just been on in the UK, maybe that one??

Anyhow, 24 is a great challenge but 12 would be more realistic and I dont have UC as yet but will get it Smile

But, it would have to be a weekend, or something like fridaynite-saturdayafternoon type thing..

FPS: XIII - Halo (1&2) - UC - R63(BA) - TS2 - SO:RM - Wolfenstien
DRV: Midtown 3 - OutRun 2 - FlatOut
3PS: MA - SW:BF
SPT: Links 2004 - TopSpin - Amped 2
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
[MF]Tr1pleThr34t
Kai Admirer
Kai Admirer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm definitely in for 24 hours.
Obviously I'd prefer 12 hours also, but I don't think as many people would sponsor for only 12 hours of gaming.

mkjones: The charities are undecided at the moment.

I guess there's enough peeps interested now to share more info on some of the ideas people have had on this.
Check out http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=457&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=165. (page 12 of Unreal thread)

btw, Riao I like the new sig m8. Very Happy I was wondering where your tag came from / what it meant.
muerte
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'd be kind of up for this... but ONLY if it was for charity. Wouldn't kill my mind for anything else Wink

I'll search for some charities... maybe get speakeasy to make the donations per hour/per user in a 24 hour period.

I'm a fuckin genious.
[MF]mkjones
Kai Lover
Kai Lover

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Tr1pleThr34t wrote:
I'm definitely in for 24 hours.
Obviously I'd prefer 12 hours also, but I don't think as many people would sponsor for only 12 hours of gaming.

mkjones: The charities are undecided at the moment.

cool, if the general idea is 24 all we can do is try!

someone order me a fresh batch of COFFEEEEE....

However i still dont have UC!! il get it this week i hope.. il suck! but 24 hours should be good practice...

FPS: XIII - Halo (1&2) - UC - R63(BA) - TS2 - SO:RM - Wolfenstien
DRV: Midtown 3 - OutRun 2 - FlatOut
3PS: MA - SW:BF
SPT: Links 2004 - TopSpin - Amped 2
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
quiksilva
Kai Lover
Kai Lover

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm looking forward to this, please please make it a Saturday/Sunday affair - time difference could really mess things up for peeps on this side of the globe otherwise.

The only thing I'd like to add charity-wise, is to try and make it an international organisation to represent the diversity of gamers that may take part. Red Cross/Crescent, Oxfam etc.

24hrs is doable for charity, even TKO, just as long as I have Sunday to recover!!

One question but can we alternate games during this period? The old saying goes that a change is as good as a rest!!
shadowace
Team XLink Moderator
Team XLink Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Red Cross/Crescent

excellent suggestion in my book
kj05
Team XLink Moderator
Team XLink Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

i would love to but can't since i only own a gamecube atm but am lookin into buying a xbox in the near future.

off topic - hey shadowace where u been lately i haven't seen u on to much.

-kj05
taz
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

well here are my thoughts on it.

24 hours gaming marathon (with schedualrd breaks)

Watever game you like... would be better if you get a buddy to do it with or a group, so you could say, im fed up of this game, lets play somthing else.

Charities, well i prefer to split it between the charites in the donation section... but would be open for sugestions, it would be best if it was a charity that benifited the Global Community.

Money... I feel that it should go to TeamXlink and then we distribute it to the choosen charities, we can then post evidence of the donation for all to see. Not sure exactly how this is going to work, needs further discussion.

Time and Date.... perhaps something in the Winter (northen hemisphere) its a big time for new releases and people feel a little more generous in the run up to Christmas... but not after Christmas as everones skint.
plus Definetly a weekend event.

Some good sugestions coming throgh would be nice to see this actualy happen.
TheDaddy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 1:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Money... I feel that it should go to TeamXlink and then we distribute it to the choosen charities, we can then post evidence of the donation for all to see. Not sure exactly how this is going to work, needs further discussion.

Yeah - we'd work it that way - and I'd split it 50/50 between Red Cross and Red Crescent.

Let's get everything in place, then we'll get some proper rules up here..

TD
[MF]Tr1pleThr34t
Kai Admirer
Kai Admirer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Cool, it's sounding like a plan. Smile

I agree with taz that a pre Christmas event would be best. Very Happy
...Maybe just before all the charity request letters start falling throgh people's letter boxes.

-Don't know about the rest of you guys, but I always get about a hundred letters from charities just before Christmas.

Also, If the money's going to go to international charities, I'd like to suggest Amnesty International. IMAO, they do great work.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic