FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Kicked/Blocked/Banned from Halo. Help me teamxlink, please! View next topic
View previous topic
pal
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 4:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Can anyone from teamxlink help?

My 6 year old daughter got confused and shot at some members of her own team in Halo thinking that she was red (like I was) not blue (as she was). The guy who was hosting either kicked or banned me and I am no longer able to join Halo games. Is this permanent? I've been registered with Evolution VII since it started and have always been a careful not to get on anyones nerves. Can you please advise/help me?

Thanks very much...

Paul Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
l3laze
Team XLink Moderator
Team XLink Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 5:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

me being a gcn mod not know everything about the xbox side of things but i think how it goes like in the gcn side is that you arte just banned from that room...not banned from the whole halo thing...awsome that your 6 year old plays Razz

[img]Image
pal
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 5:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Man, I hope so!

Yeah, she's pretty good. She's been playing games since she was two!

Thanks for your help.

Pal Very Happy
VonAnka
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey Pal

I´m the guy hosting that Halo Game!

Listen, i didn´t block your daughter after you told me she was 6 (even though she disrupted the gameplay pretty good)

Just something with your setup probably then Razz

Cheers
pal
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That's funny, you told me I'd been blocked. I was then unable to join any games for a while. All is now fine, however. She normally doesn't play any team games and is pretty good, but, was confused by it for all of one match. If you'd have waited five minutes, you would have received an apology after I'd set her straight.

'Sigh' Very Happy

Pal
taz
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The only people who can ban you from a main arena, is the mods and admins.

but if you are in a private arena, the creator of that arena can kick / ban any other user they want... thats the main advantage, the owner of that room has control of who they play.

This would not stop you from joining another private arena or playing in the main halo arena.

btw, its great that your 6 year old daughters having fun playing on-line.

enjoy Smile
pal
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Phew, what a relief (worried Halo addict!).

By the way, superb work guys. Xbox didn't really do it for me before now (apart from Halo and Gaiden of course). Now we're on it all the time!

Cheers...

Pal
[IXS]Porsj
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Kick-ass! A 6 year old girl playing halo... beat that guys Wink

Nemesis - A righteous infliction of justice manifested by an appropiate agent.
In this case, a horrible cunt - Me.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
amadeus
Team XLink Moderator
Team XLink Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

maybe ill get flamed from this...but umm...morally i could/would never let a 6 year old play halo, there are dozens of books that speak out against the problems that tv/computer screens cause to developing children. Not to mention the fact that the game is a violent fps. I play halo, I love halo, but then again, im 19 years old, they are even coming out with studies now that prove that there are negative effects from these forms of media to people at my age and above. One can say anything you want against what I am saying but the facts and studies are out there, I'm not trying to tell you how to raise your daughter, but I am hoping that however you choose todo it, you are aware of the effects that will occur.

My two cents, hope nobody gets pissed...
AmO
GoatNinja
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

[IXS]Porsj wrote:
Kick-ass! A 6 year old girl playing halo... beat that guys Wink

Ever heard of "im5yearsold"? he's a little kid (who is six now) and competes in halo tournaments!!! He wears a t-shirt that says: "i'm your daddy!!"

freaking hilarious!!! a 5 year old who can own just about any of us!!
(not porsj though, his sniper is deadly!! lol)
[IXS]Porsj
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Eh Amo... you got a point there m8, you won't get flamed for that... but I do think that a lot of the negative effects have to do with the way parents & children deal with the violence, bad language, ... in the media.

And goatninja... that's the bomb! (I never played him... perhaps he does beat the crap out of me Shocked )

Nemesis - A righteous infliction of justice manifested by an appropiate agent.
In this case, a horrible cunt - Me.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
pal
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I knew I'd get this kind of response. Don't worry, we are responsible parents. She's allowed to play Halo as other competitors wear masks (look like robots you see) and the main game is against aliens (not people). She does not and is not allowed to play, or see, realistic shooters like Rainbow 6 etc. as the realism line is crossed (people look like people). She's also not allowed to watch any violent TV or DVDs (except maybe Tom and Jerry which is far worse than Halo!). So, just to let you know (and prevent further "She's going to grow up to be nuts!!!" posts) we're bringing up a well balanced child who's being taught (and knows) the difference between right and wrong who just happens to play the occasional bit of Halo, not ignoring her and allowing her to do whatever, whenever. To add to this, she is also top of her class in everything and is reading books for 9 to 10 year olds (she reads far, far more than she plays).

I wouldn't believe every study/book you read, many of these are looking for an answer to societies ills by pointing the finger at something else (last years gangsta rap, is this years gaming, is next years something else). I would think that most people that go postal (which doesn't really happen that often here in the UK), or have problems with violence/behaviour would already have many problems relating to violence/behaviour, abusive parents, bad (or no) schooling experience etc.

I'm now in my thirties and have been playing all kinds of games since I was eight/nine when "gaming leads to behaviour problems" didn't exist. Now I'm an IT manager and a family man, didn't do me any harm, but then my mum managed to show me the difference between good and bad pretty early.

A game does not make/break a child...

Sorry about waffling on like that, just wanted to get that off my chest.
TheDaddy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
A game does not make/break a child...

Correct. Video games are *well* down the list of important things to let a kid do / not let a kid do. I mean, if a 6 year old kid cant distinguish between the "cartoon" violence of a video game, and thinks that shooting aliens in video game somehow justifies shooting real people in the real world, then video games are the least of your parenting problems. Very Happy

TD
VonAnka
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

AmO wrote:
maybe ill get flamed from this...but umm...morally i could/would never let a 6 year old play halo, there are dozens of books that speak out against the problems that tv/computer screens cause to developing children. Not to mention the fact that the game is a violent fps. I play halo, I love halo, but then again, im 19 years old, they are even coming out with studies now that prove that there are negative effects from these forms of media to people at my age and above. One can say anything you want against what I am saying but the facts and studies are out there, I'm not trying to tell you how to raise your daughter, but I am hoping that however you choose todo it, you are aware of the effects that will occur.

My two cents, hope nobody gets pissed...
AmO

I wanted to say this, but everybody seemed sooo pleased that a 6 year old was playing Halo.

In fact I was the one hosting that game, I didn´t feel good knowing a 6 year old was watching all that gore and blood spashes (it was a rough match)

My kids are now 10 and this is the first year i let them play anything this violent.

Thanks!
pal
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Really? You called her stupid, then said she was blocked. The age thing only came up when I mentioned why she was playing the way she was.

I totally understand that some people feel this way, but, a few splashes of red on the floor of blood gulch are not going to turn her into a child that she isn't. Halo doesn't have limbs flying about the place, decapitations etc that exist in the games that she is not allowed to see or play. Some children are able to deal with certain concepts at an earlier age than others, like that Halo isn't real, cartoon violence isn't real, a game is a game. Besides, she's not on it unsupervised and frankly seems to prefer a game of pikmin or mariokart on her gamecube.

Anyway, read what I said earlier...
taz
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Frankly, there has been studies into how computer games effects young people.

One school of thought says its bad and will cause your kids to go out on killing rampages.

the other says that it helps with hand eye co-ordination and can also help with information gathering, and problem solving skills.

but at the end of the day its the parents decision to how there kids are brought up.

If you want to let your kids play halo online 24/7 then thats up to you, but it would be detrimental to anyone physical and mental health to play a video game for that long, no mater how old they were.

in my opinion, if your child can distinguish whats real and whats just a game or a TV character, and has a sense of whats right or wrong, then there is no big deal to letting them play online.

However, supervision is a key word here, as you can never be certain of who your playing. a stranger tricking your child into telling them who and where they are, and gaining there trust is much more dangerouse than a few games on Rainbow Six or Halo.
pal
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

TAZ, thanks for reading what I was saying and being a voice of reason.

This is exactly what I'm talking about, supervised, safe, knowing it's not real and not being left alone to make unsound judgements and play alone for hours on end (she has limited gaming time).

Studies very rarely start off without an opinion that they're trying to prove. I'm a long term gamer, I know how it's affected me, I love games! I'm a good parent, I know how it's affected her, she likes games, solving puzzles and winning!
[FUNK]
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

[IXS]Porsj wrote:
Eh Amo... you got a point there m8, you won't get flamed for that... but I do think that a lot of the negative effects have to do with the way parents & children deal with the violence, bad language, ... in the media.

And goatninja... that's the bomb! (I never played him... perhaps he does beat the crap out of me Shocked )

I totally agree. But you also have to look at the game type. Halo I let my 12 and 10 year old kids play that because they are shooting something they will never find on the streets. Even in the system link part they are shooting something without a face so the correlation to a real kill doesn't and shouldn't exist. Rainbow Six, Counter Strike, Shadow Ops, and other FPS with the Real effect on the other hand I do not allow them to play it. As for children with warped minds because of the T.V. or games systems I say hogwash. I have been around since Atari and I have played almost every game for all of them at least once. It never made me want to Jump on a mushroom (Mario Bros) or Shoot down Missiles (Missile Command) or shoot Asteroids (you know the game). It?s all about the upbringing. If you show love and compassion towards your children and speak to them instead of at them, they will listen.

Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you. It's nice to know there are people out there who can make sound judgements of their own instead of jumping on the media hype bandwagon.
I am in agreement with Pal and would never allow my child to participate in any activity that could have a detrimental affect upon her, which this does not.
Pal's wife and child's mother, V.
3xodus
Kai Enthusiast
Kai Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've been playing games since... Well, not as long as a lot of people here since I'm only 16 (17 in August Very Happy ). My parents have never really tried to restrict my gaming, because they know I see it as a game and only that, and I always have. I can't be bothered to work out how old I was, but I got Mortal Kombat 2 bought for me by my parents and I got Mortal Kombat 3 on release date for Genesis... I'm just the same person I would have been without games, because they felt that I could tell the difference between fiction and reality...

EDIT: I was supervised btw, but not in games like Sonic etc, though my gaming time was restricted...

Hell, I played Pac Man to death, and I've never gone walking down corridors popping pill after pill after pill after... Razz

On a side note, my parents did restrict what I saw on TV / movies, not stuff like 007 / Mission Impossible kind of shooting, but for example anything by Quentin Tarentino would have been out of the question until a certain age... I'm too tired to go further, but you get the idea, and my opinion Smile

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic