FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Wireless problems? View next topic
View previous topic
br14n
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 6:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have been using Kai for a while now. Everything was wired until now: cross-over from Xbox to laptop, USB from laptop to modem. The UI in XBMC connected to the PC engine, and allowed me to play on Kai just fine.

Now I have set up a wireless network. My laptop connects to the wireless router through a wireless card, Xbox connects to the built-in switch on the router through a cross-over cable, and the router connects to the modem.

From what I gather all the comms are ok. I can browse the web, and can FTP into my Xbox. The XBMC Kai UI connects to the fine, I can chat, browse the arenas etc, and select a game/or host a game to play (just like before).

The problem I have is that no matter what game I load, nothing appears in the System link menu - I can't join/host a game. Everything up until this point works as before - the games just won't detect anything once loaded.

Can someone please help?
dbldown768
Kai Enthusiast
Kai Enthusiast

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 6:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

its because your laptop is hooked up wirelessly... unless you have a NIC card that has promiscuous mode it will not work from my understanding. so just figure on hooking up your laptop to your router or you xbox to your laptop. otherwise the program cannot find the packets your xbox is sending
EyemUrXtc
Kai Enthusiast
Kai Enthusiast

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 6:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

nope.. yoru set up should work.. except ge a patch cable.. not a cross-over cable. I had a set up liek that for a long time. and make sure hte modem is in the WAN port. worst comes to worse yo might need to forward some ports but i doubt it.

Kai Enthusiast
Kai Enthusiast

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 6:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

directly from the quickstart page

Quote:
Incompatible Wireless Network Cards

You might be asking, why can't my PC remain wireless? Well, there's a almost guaranteed chance that it will not work for you. It all depends on the model of wireless network card that you invest in, and whether it can perform in something called 'promiscuous mode'. If you want to find out what this is and why it's essential when using Kai, you can read a Whatis.com definition here. If you find out your wireless card supports promiscuous mode, great! You'll be able to use your wireless PC without a hitch. You could even use a wireless bridge for your console and get 100% wireless connectivity that's compatible with Kai.

Note: Wireless network cards that can perform in promiscuous mode are quite rare, and it is highly likely that your current wireless card will be incompatible. If you would like help on finding a wireless network card that can work in promiscuous mode, head over to our Official XLink Forums.
br14n
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 6:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Cheers for the replys, excuse my thickness but how do i find out if my card has promicuous mode or not, its a belkin 54g
dbldown768
Kai Enthusiast
Kai Enthusiast

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 6:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

well your should have a model number of the belkin.. 54g is not.... check the box or on the router itself and google it would be my best guess.
dfunked
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 7:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Find out the exact model, have a Google, ask the manufacturers, check our "promiscuous mode" link (you'll find it in loads of promiscuous mode threads, so have a search).

By the way, the thing about using the wrong type of cable is invalid these days. All modern networking equip has auto-negotiation. Plug in the "wrong" type of cable ie. the cross-over instead of straight-through, and the device will reverse the port's pins automatically.

The problem you face is to do with promiscuous mode.

Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 7:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic