FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 The New Consoles.. View next topic
View previous topic
TheDaddy

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 12:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

[I know I should link to stuff in here - but I cant be arsed]

Seems like the 360 team are trying to correct the rumour that games need to be recompiled.. does this mean they've got emulation working, I wonder?

The way I always saw it, it would be easy to emulate anything which went no lower than DX - but anything which did "naughty" things with the GPU on a low level would make emulation a hell of a lot harder.

Either way, back compat. is looking like the last thing I need to see on the 360 before it gets the official "super-thumbs-up" from me. Hell, it's a tidy piece of kit - and its got grunt too. The PS3 is "feeling" like the PS2 - anyone remember the "With PS2 we can do stuff like Jurassic Park CGI ON THE FLY OMG!"... Lol.. It also look rubbish and the controller looks torture. Please Sony, as I will inevitably end up buying one of your units anway - FIX HOW IT LOOKS AND JUST COPY SOMEONE ELSES CONTROLLER. There's no doubting it will be extremely powerful - but just like last time, if it's a pig to code for (and it looks like it will be *hell* to code for it) - then it stands a good chance of taking a pummelling over the first 12months after launch. Don't underestimate Bill here - he's new to the console market after only 1 generation, but believe me he knows how to f**k people over - even big lads like Sony - if they start making mistakes.

On to the Revolution. Now, this unit is sounding sweet. If what they say about being able to download old ROMs from nes/snes/n64 is true, they will have done something I think a lot of the console have been neglecting for too long. It is a great idea and it would really, really work imo. Imagine being able to download Goldeneye for like $5 or something.. and Pilotwings for SNES, etc. and store em all locally. Superb. People keep telling me like "HEY THE SECRET REVOLUTION FEATUER IS GYRO CONTROLLERS!!" Bollocks. If that is the "revolution", then it stinks.. As I said up there, a true "Revolution" would be enabling this download of old stuff and emulation of it, along with allowing users / usergroups to create stuff to run on the device - like XBMC did in the Xbox. I mean come on - the 360's media stuff is *based around stuff they liked in XBMC*.. lol.. An official-homebrewers-kit would make homebrewers pretty happy, would make a nice new pool of devs for the game-houses to employ, and would give regular users some extra stuff for their console... I dont think I can think of one person I know who doesnt benefit from at least one piece of homebrewed code, somewhere, at some time..

What interests me more about this Revolution unit is the rumour regarding embracing homebrewers - even if it's just with crippled devkits. Let me tell you with no doubt, the first console maker with the balls to do that - and the confidence that their own "new" games wouldn't be more at risk of piracy after doing it, will make a hell of an impact. Just about everyone I know in this place would lap that up. I often thought the same with the Xbox.. why not make the XDK free... just damned well give it away... what's it gonna hurt? You're just likely to end of with a shitload of red-hot 18yr old XDK programmers - which aint bad news, is it?

So yeah.. my advice so far? Super-pre-order the 360 Wink, hang fire on the PS3, but if the Revolution does all that fancy shit up there, it's probably worth the dollars over the PS3.

All IMO, of course..

TD

Last edited by TheDaddy on Sat May 21, 2005 2:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
[FUNK]
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 1:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Nice TD. You have a way with words (must be a salesmen).

Kai Admirer
Kai Admirer

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 1:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

i must agree with just about every word there TD. Smile

Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

My choice is the xbox360 ... there arent any ps3 only titles out there i really need to have...

xbox360 all the way ...

As for nintendo, i've never liked nintendo... the only game that really is fun is Mario Kart Smile ...

With kind regards
Marco

Kai Enthusiast
Kai Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

lol... thats exactly how i see it. ha ha... I'm glad you posted this. ha ha

Kai Lover
Kai Lover

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 1:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Seems like the 360 team are trying to correct the rumour that games need to be recompiled.. does this mean they've got emulation working, I wonder?

Yes it would seem they have, click here to see what I mean

Quote:
The PS3 is "feeling" like the PS2 - anyone remember the "With PS2 we can do stuff like Jurassic Park CGI ON THE FLY OMG!".

Agreed, I was stunned by the Fightnight and GT5 videos. However it seems they were mostly all pre-renderd. No games will look like that during gameplay, not the first batch anyway.

Quote:
the controller looks torture. Please Sony, as I will inevitably end up buying one of your units anway - FIX HOW IT LOOKS AND JUST COPY SOMEONE ELSES CONTROLLER.

I cant belive there is SO much crap about this controler. Its even worse then the Duke Bashing the origional Xbox controler got.

I dont mind the new pad, I dont like the Dualforce PS2 pads anyway. They feel too flimsy, I cant grip them right.

The extended grips on the new one seem like a good idea. I really dont think Sony are foolish enough to waste the PS3 sucsess becuase of a control pad. They MUST have some good feedback. If not they will just do a Controler-S thing and make a new one...

Quote:
On to the Revolution. Now, this unit is sounding sweet.

Hmm, its impressive BUT they need to pull out all the stops for this one! The GC has really lost this battle, the only reason it sold as many/similer as the Xbox was becase it was made so cheap it was foolish not to get one.

Quote:
If what they say about being able to download old ROMs from nes/snes/n64 is true, they will have done something I think a lot of the console have been neglecting for too long. It is a great idea and it would really, really work imo.

I agree, but XBOX Live! Arcade looks like this will be similer. Sure they wont have nintendo games, but they could quite easily licence some of the older 16bit games and stick them on there. Sonic 2D for example. The only thing nintendo has, as ever, is there great set of titles that people will lap up.

Quote:
the 360's media stuff is *based around stuff they liked in XBMC*.. lol

Its funny isnt it how the modders between us werent as impressed with the media features as the non-modders Smile

"you can stream media!?" yeh, I can do that now?

Sure it will be "better" with the 360, if they get it right. And if they dont they can just update your dashboard, a feature I always liked Wink

Media Center conectivity is a must if people have a media center PC, I also think M$ will have something up there sleave regarding a media connection tool for normal PCs.

If that works out well I honastly wont be as interested in "modding" my console for other than good old backups Wink

Quote:
What interests me more about this Revolution unit is the rumour regarding embracing homebrewers

I think this is a rumour too far. The way I see it they want users to be able to "make" there own games. But NOT program them in lines of code. Some kind of simple interface where you can mod some kind of game templates on your console will be where they are going. Which would be quite cool.

Quote:
why not make the XDK free... just damned well give it away... what's it gonna hurt?

XDKs are rediculasly expensive, thats why, they would miss the revenue!!

And for every 18yr old whiskid you would have 100 morons with an XDK in there aresenal making games for chavs.

Quote:
Super-pre-order the 360

I would say wait till the modders get hold of it, as ever. Althogh it can do a lot already I would like to see "what else" all that power could be used for.

Quote:
hang fire on the PS3,

Dang if it wasnt so big and expensive I would like it so much more Wink But yeh, I agree. I wont be getting one even though I was WOWed by the videos at e3. I dont have a PS2 becuase I waited and the ONLY thing I felt I was missing was GTA, I belive a similer thing will happen with the PS3.

Quote:
if the Revolution does all that fancy shit up there

And it looks pretty sexy, and I am betting will be cheap compared to the others. This is where nintendo are winning, like I said if a console is £50 its stupid not to get one even if you have 2 others Wink

Quote:
All IMO, of course..

Indeed.

FPS: XIII - Halo (1&2) - UC - R63(BA) - TS2 - SO:RM - Wolfenstien
DRV: Midtown 3 - OutRun 2 - FlatOut
3PS: MA - SW:BF
SPT: Links 2004 - TopSpin - Amped 2
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
[MG]ScienidE
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 1:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The media centre doesnt look that impressive...
I dont want it to be a media extender.. i want it to be a media CENTER..

I have all my media on the xbox.. i dont use the pc for that anymore...
So using the xbox360 as a media extender isnt an option for me...

Glad i can keep my xbox1 for that Smile ...

with kind regards
Marco

Kai Lover
Kai Lover

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 2:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

[MG]ScienidE @ Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am wrote:

Of course Smile The extender is a bitch but they wont go shooting themselves in the foot making it an actuall fully blown media center. Plus Dell etc would go crazy as media center PCs are selling highly at the moment.

Also, the music and video features of the 360 dash may be just fine and do most of the work anyway. Sure you wont get PVR or anything fancy but Im sure it will be decent.

Quote:

Im sure many people will be keeping there xboxes around for a long while, I will be one of em Wink

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
[MG]ScienidE
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 2:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

[MF]mkjones @ Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am wrote:

Of course Smile The extender is a bitch but they wont go shooting themselves in the foot making it an actuall fully blown media center. Plus Dell etc would go crazy as media center PCs are selling highly at the moment.

Also, the music and video features of the 360 dash may be just fine and do most of the work anyway. Sure you wont get PVR or anything fancy but Im sure it will be decent.

Quote:

Im sure many people will be keeping there xboxes around for a long while, I will be one of em Wink

ME2 ... i have 3 xboxes...
i'll be selling one of them to contribute to the xbox360 fund Smile ...

I will keep 2 of my other xboxes...
one will be used as a linux server, running all kind of handy services ... my other one will be used as a game/media center xbox ...

Btw... any releases coming out on xbox AND xbox360 ?? will u be able to play xbox <> xbox360 version against eachother ??

With kind regards
Marco

Kai Lover
Kai Lover

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 2:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Btw... any releases coming out on xbox AND xbox360 ?? will u be able to play xbox <> xbox360 version against eachother ??

Not as far as I know? Would be a nice feature tho. I assume Live! arcade games will be cross platform.

mario553
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The revolutionary aspect of the "Revolution" is that it can download old games and emulate them?! Get rid of my emulator-ready Xbox and sign me up!
[MG]ScienidE
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 10:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

mario553 @ Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am wrote:
The revolutionary aspect of the "Revolution" is that it can download old games and emulate them?! Get rid of my emulator-ready Xbox and sign me up!

If you like those old console games ...

I never really played those old console games, so this is not really an important feature for me ...

with kind regards
Marco

Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 4:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

mario553 @ wrote:

Thats the way all Nentendogs see it, the Xbox 360 has 3 custom IBM power PC cores running at 3.2gz each i wouldn't be surprised if it could emulate the "Revolution". how can you call Roms nd funky looking controllers a Revolution? the only reason why i see ppl buying one of these is the fact that it has some really good franchises like Zelda,Mario, nd metroid. but this is just my opinion, if you look at what the Nintendo PR ppl are saying 2 get ppl hyped about the "Revolution" is "The Graphics will wow you" WTF is that? is that the best they could come up with lol Laughing

If you play the game, you play to win..
It's a crazy world full of sin..
~ Makaveli

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic