FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Gamecube online Q's View next topic
View previous topic
CoolioMan
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Okay, so I signed up today and I want to know what exactly I need to hook my GameCube up to the internet. So, can someone tell me?
OGEV
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, first, you need a Gamecube Broadband Adapter (they go for 35 bucks, I think, at the Nintendo site, or about 10 bucks at your local game store, if you can find them), and a connection to a router.
You want to try to have a wired connection, because wireless doesn't really work that well, so when you'd hook up your gamecube, the ethernet cable from the GC would go straight into the router.
It's probably not worth going through all that trouble, as even if you get online, you probably won't find too many people online. And even if you do, you probably wouldn't get a full speed game. Like, for example, I live in Minnesota, but if I play with someone in California, the game would be much slower due to latency, which is based on location. If you live closer to someone, you have a better ping with them, and you'll have a much faster game. If you do manage to get connected, I'll play with you, but if you reply, post where you live, cause that's very important with GC tunneling.
mikecdc
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

OGEV hey, I just wanted to say hey. Hope to see you on Kai soon.

But yea... OGEV explained it.
biolizard89
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

OGEV wrote:
Well, first, you need a Gamecube Broadband Adapter (they go for 35 bucks, I think, at the Nintendo site, or about 10 bucks at your local game store, if you can find them), and a connection to a router.
You want to try to have a wired connection, because wireless doesn't really work that well, so when you'd hook up your gamecube, the ethernet cable from the GC would go straight into the router.
It's probably not worth going through all that trouble, as even if you get online, you probably won't find too many people online. And even if you do, you probably wouldn't get a full speed game. Like, for example, I live in Minnesota, but if I play with someone in California, the game would be much slower due to latency, which is based on location. If you live closer to someone, you have a better ping with them, and you'll have a much faster game. If you do manage to get connected, I'll play with you, but if you reply, post where you live, cause that's very important with GC tunneling.

Yeah, LAN tunneling is pretty slow, but GCARS-CS runs quite well even with pings above 100ms. It's a bit harder to set up than LAN tunneling (as you need a way to get homebrew software onto your Cube, and it doesn't work too well with Kai, meaning you'll need your opponent's IP), but it supports several games that don't do LAN (Sonic, Smash Bros., others in development which work somewhat). Get more information at http://www.fuzziqersoftware.com. Smile
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo Messenger
fennec
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I thought that development on GCARS-CS has been frozen - there were no updates to the software since 2005 Confused
biolizard89
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

fennec wrote:
I thought that development on GCARS-CS has been frozen - there were no updates to the software since 2005 Confused

There have been no updates to the core software. There are a lot of new scripts under development, however. Scripts that have recently been updated include:

SSBM 1.0
SSBM 1.1
Soul Caliber II
F-Zero GX
Capcom VS SNK
Timesplitters 2 (very early stages; probably not playable)

These improved or new scripts add support for more games and improve the gameplay in existing games. If you haven't checked out GCARS-CS since 0.9.5 was released, I highly recommend that you go try out the new scripts (which can be found on Fuzziqer's forums).
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo Messenger

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic