FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 RIP XBox DVD ... any suggestions? View next topic
View previous topic
prestige
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I bought my first XBox on November 15th, 2001 (launch day). It has served me well over the past 5+ years. I've been through a number of hard drives. The Enigmah chip, Homebrew chip 32 wire, homebrew 9 wire, Multi-bios TSOP flash, Infrared power controller, etc, etc. Alas, after years of service my DVD has died on me. I turned it on and was prompted with the evil green screen of death. I realized it was the DVD because the DVD would not open when I press the DVD button in a power-off state. With the DVD unplugged, my hard drive boots fine and I am back in action.

So, I don't actually use the DVD for anything but knowing there is a component that is not working urks me if that makes any sense. I've visited llama.com and found a replacement drive for $60 + $30 for shipping. $90 seems a bit steep for a component I will use less than a handful of times but may resort to ordering it for the sake of having it in case I ever need it. Does anyone know of an off the shelf replacement drive I might use or a less costly alternative?

-p

PS: For the record, llama.com are good people. I bought a power supply from them once. It arrived promptly and worked perfectly.

Kai Spammer
Kai Spammer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I dont have any spare drives P or i would send you one. Hook a pc dvd drive up to it that works. Smile
[XNZ]Xassassin
Kai Enthusiast
Kai Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm not sure how reliable it would be, but eBay could be an alternative. Either that or buy an xbox, switch the dvd drives, and return the xbox. Razz Not something I'd do, but it's still an alternative. Smile

Sidenote: Same thing happened with my xbox in September, dvd drive stopped working... could still boot, but not being able to load a disk in the drive / burn disks led me to buy the 360. In the end, I ended up with a 360 that couldn't read disks either, but that's whole different story for another day.

Good luck though. Smile

Team XLink Moderator
Team XLink Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
The xbox8164adapter is the cheapest solution for a xbox dvd drive failure. The adapter allow to use a PC DVD Drive LG-8164 to replace a dead XBOX Drive.

http://www.divineo.com/cgi-bin/div-us/cat_xbox.html (then click Parts & Repair)
IMO it isn't cheapest, but considering it reads almost every disc format (CD/DVD-R/DVD+R etc.) it's recomended. but they are hard to come by in UK, cos i too have a crappy 5+ years Thomson drive semi-dead also Sad

i only use Xbox for XBMC, and since my is networked to my PC, so if i want to play a music CD (or whatever), i just put it in my PC's DVD drive, then load it in the XBMC, i can also directly copy game disk to the harddisk then run it. Very Happy

Kai Admirer
Kai Admirer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'd just put a cheap ass pc dvd drive in it.

Very Happy
I do mean the Sammy mod, but I still think they are around $50
(DD)JiffyWhip
Kai Spammer
Kai Spammer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If ya can get power to it. The xbox uses a different power cable then standard PC drives. I suppose if ya could find a guide on how to mod it, but then yer running the risk of blowing up your power supply and/or frying your dvd drive.

My suggestion would just be leave it alone unless ya wanna blow money on replacing it with a new/used one.

Kai Admirer
Kai Admirer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

[TU]JiffyWhip wrote:
If ya can get power to it. The xbox uses a different power cable then standard PC drives. I suppose if ya could find a guide on how to mod it, but then yer running the risk of blowing up your power supply and/or frying your dvd drive.

My suggestion would just be leave it alone unless ya wanna blow money on replacing it with a new/used one.

Heheh...nah....It's well documented. I can assure you.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with xbox-scene.....you really should check them out.

http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox-tutorials.php
(-TU-)-Mortj109-
Kai Spammer
Kai Spammer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

boxorox wrote:
[TU]JiffyWhip wrote:

Heheh...nah....It's well documented. I can assure you.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with xbox-scene.....you really should check them out.

http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox-tutorials.php

No just do what i did when i installed my lights get a Y Molex splitter and just power it that way. No modding required.
prestige
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

Redwolf/Boxorox: I thought about just using an off-the-shelf drive but it seems they are unable to read originals. That kind of defeats the purpose as I do not have any backup games (on DVD Smile.

I'm glad the X2 4983 bios includes the 'ignore dvd code'. For the time being I'm just going to leave it unplugged. The $60 drive from llama is still an option but the damn $30 for shipping + customs charges really bites. It will cost me about $100 for a drive I will likely never use.

-p

Kai Admirer
Kai Admirer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I got one box with a Thomson and it's very reliable

http://www.keepgaming.com/xbox/TGM600.htm?gclid=CKS86dLumIoCFQ6kWAoddmxjmw

This is the best....The Sammy, if you can find a 616t at a good price.
http://www.xboxhackz.com/tutorials/hardware/dvddrive/drivereplacement616t.htm

I've got another with a Phillips, which is a little more finicky, but still good.
http://www.anthrox.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=327
http://gameasylum.us/thdvddrxbrex.html
I know there is an LG model that works too...
http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EEpuEkpllZviIGdspV.php
DK.SwiftTank
Team XLink Moderator
Team XLink Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

dude, just go to gamestop (or your canuckian replacement) and get another box if you're gonna spene the 90 bucks. then sell the rest of it on ebay or here or something. I'm sure you could put it up here with your autograph and trick someone into buying it. I think we have enough fanboys. Very Happy

MeanMF
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah if you're going to spend $100 you might as well get another Xbox out of the deal and use it for XBMC or something.
SargeantTedi
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I heard that to put a pc drive in your xbox you need to chip it. am i right or does it work without one? mines shot too but i use a paper clip to open it. hey it works. If your wondering how to do this theres a hole next to the eject button. not right next to but a inch to the left on most xboxes. just flaten out a paper clip and put it in that hole after u press the eject button.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic