FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 MKDD (NTSC) - has anybody actually TRIED this? View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topicReply to topic
Author Message
fennec
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner


Joined: 09 Feb 2007
Posts: 42

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I would have to say that GC gaming here has pretty much died off... Reasons might be different, but considering that last post in this community dates back to 2006, it's kinda obvious...

Question to the moderator: are there ANY currently active MKDD(NTSC) arenas?
View user's profileSend private message
FJGamer
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner


Joined: 26 Mar 2007
Posts: 28

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm not a moderator, so you could simply ignore me, but I think Gamecube is less popular on XLink because most lan party games are for Xbox or PS2. For that matter, Gamecube isn't considered a grown-up console, so the adult gamers (who play the MK games) get their games for another console. What's MKDD again? I'd play Armageddon over XLink, but it doesn't have system link capability... that I know of.

I'm in the same boat as you. I keep trying to find players for Phantom Dust. I've seen maybe 2 or 3 people playing it before, but I can't join in the middle of a session, and they never get on at the same time. My only solution is to play Halo 2 some more and be thankful I have the ability to play even that game online.
View user's profileSend private message
-Ricochet-
PSP Guru
PSP Guru


Joined: 07 Apr 2007
Posts: 2367

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

MKDD mario kart double dash

there is arena but good luck finding players
View user's profileSend private message
fennec
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner


Joined: 09 Feb 2007
Posts: 42

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

[1up]Ricochet wrote:
MKDD mario kart double dash

there is arena but good luck finding players


Yep, I agree with one of the other members - there is a serious lack of communication in GC Kai community as a whole... If it would be possible to somehow get the word out that one actually CAN play Mario Kart online...

The distance is another issue. Anybody has an idea what is the maximum distance/ping time for a game to be playable?
View user's profileSend private message
OGEV
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner


Joined: 15 May 2005
Posts: 17
Location: USA - Minnesota

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The maximum distance for a game to CONNECT sorta varies, like, for example, me being in Minnesota, I've connected with people in the UK before, and also in Brazil, but those games are barely playable, hence the word connect. If you have a ping of about 100, it's playable, but slow. It can be pretty fun though, especially if you have more than just two people playing. Pings of 60-80 are better also. Pings of 40-50 are nice, the game is almost full speed. pings of 30 and below, you have a full speed game. For me, in order to get a ping of 30 or below, people have to be about one state away, so you're talking other Minnesotans, Iowa, Wisconson. For pings in the 40-50, the farthest I've gotten is someone in New York, and that was pretty surprising, given the distance. Most of the time I play with people with pings of around 60-80, so I'mpretty used to the slower gameplay. Hopefully this helps, and something about pings should be Stickyed.

PS, I'm not sure how I got my location below the avatar, but I think it's somewhere in the profile settings.
View user's profileSend private messageMSN Messenger
[tHc]hicaow
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator


Joined: 04 Jun 2004
Posts: 4371

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

FJGamer .. theirs lots of us that play phantom dust everyday .. join the arena and just ask us to let ya know when the host is up .. its only during the round that you can't join , when we are in the lobby its all good .. a game takes 10 mins max ..

sorry not GC related :]

_________________
All 360 users please read this ..
http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27715

find more people to play PS2 and GC on kai at www.onlineconsoles.com ... www.ps2onlinegaming.com
View user's profileSend private message
(-TU-)-Mortj109-
Kai Spammer
Kai Spammer


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 8681

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Im usualy playing to.
View user's profileSend private message
OGEV
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner


Joined: 15 May 2005
Posts: 17
Location: USA - Minnesota

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You guys should join the cube community. Double dash is pretty fun when you can get a decent speed game connected. Wink
View user's profileSend private messageMSN Messenger
(-TU-)-Mortj109-
Kai Spammer
Kai Spammer


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 8681

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I dont have a game cube.
View user's profileSend private message
fennec
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner


Joined: 09 Feb 2007
Posts: 42

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

OK, just confirmed with OGEV - he is in MN, I am in Ontario, Canada, close to NY. Works like a charm - ping in low to mid 40s Very Happy . VERY much playable, with occational, barely noticeable lag... Gotta try and bring more players back in Laughing .
View user's profileSend private message
OGEV
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner


Joined: 15 May 2005
Posts: 17
Location: USA - Minnesota

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah, that was some pretty good racing. Pings were great, gameplay was pretty fast. Cube players, if you're out there, and really want to do some racing, post your location, we'll get racing.
View user's profileSend private messageMSN Messenger
jkjk
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner


Joined: 12 Jun 2004
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You played me OGEV. We got that ping cause my upload is 1600 kb. I still play in LAN parties but not online. It's just too laggy.
fennec - I'm by NYC. I wonder what our ping is. Want to set up a time to play to test?
OGEV wrote:
The maximum distance for a game to CONNECT sorta varies, like, for example, me being in Minnesota, I've connected with people in the UK before, and also in Brazil, but those games are barely playable, hence the word connect. If you have a ping of about 100, it's playable, but slow. It can be pretty fun though, especially if you have more than just two people playing. Pings of 60-80 are better also. Pings of 40-50 are nice, the game is almost full speed. pings of 30 and below, you have a full speed game. For me, in order to get a ping of 30 or below, people have to be about one state away, so you're talking other Minnesotans, Iowa, Wisconson. For pings in the 40-50, the farthest I've gotten is someone in New York, and that was pretty surprising, given the distance. Most of the time I play with people with pings of around 60-80, so I'mpretty used to the slower gameplay. Hopefully this helps, and something about pings should be Stickyed.

PS, I'm not sure how I got my location below the avatar, but I think it's somewhere in the profile settings.

_________________
Wanted to buy: Working Max Drive Pro Gamecube Disk, not the card. Wanted to sell: NGC Component cables for $70 shipped in US. PM me.

Last edited by jkjk on Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profileSend private message
fennec
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner


Joined: 09 Feb 2007
Posts: 42

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

jkjk wrote:
You played me OGEV. We got that ping cause my upload is 1600 KB. I still play in LAN parties but not online. It's just too laggy.
fennec - I'm by NYC. I wonder what our ping is. Want to set up a time to play to test?
OGEV wrote:
The maximum distance for a game to CONNECT sorta varies, like, for example, me being in Minnesota, I've connected with people in the UK before, and also in Brazil, but those games are barely playable, hence the word connect. If you have a ping of about 100, it's playable, but slow. It can be pretty fun though, especially if you have more than just two people playing. Pings of 60-80 are better also. Pings of 40-50 are nice, the game is almost full speed. pings of 30 and below, you have a full speed game. For me, in order to get a ping of 30 or below, people have to be about one state away, so you're talking other Minnesotans, Iowa, Wisconson. For pings in the 40-50, the farthest I've gotten is someone in New York, and that was pretty surprising, given the distance. Most of the time I play with people with pings of around 60-80, so I'mpretty used to the slower gameplay. Hopefully this helps, and something about pings should be Stickyed.

PS, I'm not sure how I got my location below the avatar, but I think it's somewhere in the profile settings.


Sure, just PM me closer to the weekend... I play pretty short games, 20 min to 1/2 hour (5 - 6 games) - enough to have a bit of fun, but not too long to get bored Wink . This should be sufficient to test the connection... My upload is 640 kbps (down 5Mbps), and that gave me a reasonable ping 41 - 43 when playing OGEV... Translates into .25 sec of a lag on average - you can notice it, but it does not prevent you from playing a good game Smile .
View user's profileSend private message
OGEV
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner


Joined: 15 May 2005
Posts: 17
Location: USA - Minnesota

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You guys ought to have a pretty good game with that distance. It wouldn't surprise me if you had a lag-free game. Post your results!
View user's profileSend private messageMSN Messenger
Lowbrassman04
Nintendo Specialist
Nintendo Specialist


Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Posts: 1887

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Wow we got some new players in th GCN community.

Sense MKDS, MKDD took the back seat. For most games lag is so bad you could go make a sandwich and still be able stay on the track. Im not bashing the game or evo 7 but MKDD just wasnt made for this tyle of gaming even tho it was fun in the day and fun when you hooked up with someone in your own state (which made the game almost run at full speed)

You guys wait, There will be DS and Wii match making ( exchanging friendcodes thru the forum or x1.)

_________________
PM me for help
Award Winning Film Maker
http://www.youtube.com/cannon2004

Check out my website:
www.halfapplefilms.com
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
fennec
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner


Joined: 09 Feb 2007
Posts: 42

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Lowbrassman04 wrote:
Wow we got some new players in th GCN community.

Sense MKDS, MKDD took the back seat. For most games lag is so bad you could go make a sandwich and still be able stay on the track. Im not bashing the game or evo 7 but MKDD just wasnt made for this tyle of gaming even tho it was fun in the day and fun when you hooked up with someone in your own state (which made the game almost run at full speed)

You guys wait, There will be DS and Wii match making ( exchanging friendcodes thru the forum or x1.)


Yes, lag is an issue of course... But overall, I was pleasantly surprised that a game 6 (!) states away was very much playable... When MK for Wii will come out, it will probably have an online component through Connect24, but since we do not know much about how Nintendo is going to implement it, it's too early to tell how playable it will be Smile .
View user's profileSend private message
Lowbrassman04
Nintendo Specialist
Nintendo Specialist


Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Posts: 1887

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

fennec wrote:
Lowbrassman04 wrote:
Wow we got some new players in th GCN community.

Sense MKDS, MKDD took the back seat. For most games lag is so bad you could go make a sandwich and still be able stay on the track. Im not bashing the game or evo 7 but MKDD just wasnt made for this tyle of gaming even tho it was fun in the day and fun when you hooked up with someone in your own state (which made the game almost run at full speed)

You guys wait, There will be DS and Wii match making ( exchanging friendcodes thru the forum or x1.)


Yes, lag is an issue of course... But overall, I was pleasantly surprised that a game 6 (!) states away was very much playable... When MK for Wii will come out, it will probably have an online component through Connect24, but since we do not know much about how Nintendo is going to implement it, it's too early to tell how playable it will be Smile .



Online Wii mario kart is almost a given because of the DS version. And not to sound arrogant the online service is called Nintendo Wifi Connection not Connect24. Connect24 is the thing the wii is suposed to have where the wii is connected to the internet 24/7 and can download updates and new stuff automatically. Just thought id let you know Wink

_________________
PM me for help
Award Winning Film Maker
http://www.youtube.com/cannon2004

Check out my website:
www.halfapplefilms.com
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
fennec
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner


Joined: 09 Feb 2007
Posts: 42

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Lowbrassman04 wrote:
Online Wii mario kart is almost a given because of the DS version. And not to sound arrogant the online service is called Nintendo Wifi Connection not Connect24. Connect24 is the thing the wii is suposed to have where the wii is connected to the internet 24/7 and can download updates and new stuff automatically. Just thought id let you know Wink


OK, point taken - it's a WiFi Smile ... Though, it's not entirely correct either - if one uses a USB to Ethernet adapter and hard-wires their Wii, it won't be a WiFi anymore Wink .

On a different note, some of us here were wondering what are the average pings that we are getting vs the distance... Anything you can remember / approximate? For ex. mine and OGEV connection was in low 40s, and we are 6 states apart...
View user's profileSend private message
Lowbrassman04
Nintendo Specialist
Nintendo Specialist


Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Posts: 1887

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

fennec wrote:
Lowbrassman04 wrote:
Online Wii mario kart is almost a given because of the DS version. And not to sound arrogant the online service is called Nintendo Wifi Connection not Connect24. Connect24 is the thing the wii is suposed to have where the wii is connected to the internet 24/7 and can download updates and new stuff automatically. Just thought id let you know Wink


OK, point taken - it's a WiFi Smile ... Though, it's not entirely correct either - if one uses a USB to Ethernet adapter and hard-wires their Wii, it won't be a WiFi anymore Wink .

On a different note, some of us here were wondering what are the average pings that we are getting vs the distance... Anything you can remember / approximate? For ex. mine and OGEV connection was in low 40s, and we are 6 states apart...


Regardless how the Wii/DS is connected to the internet the service is still called Nintendo Wifi Connection :p lol j/k

i cant remember and i dont have my cube with me to test. my sis has my cube because i have a wii now.

_________________
PM me for help
Award Winning Film Maker
http://www.youtube.com/cannon2004

Check out my website:
www.halfapplefilms.com
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
OGEV
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner


Joined: 15 May 2005
Posts: 17
Location: USA - Minnesota

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I mentioned about the pings a bit earlier, and I can elaborate a bit on what I've experienced. From what I've seen, there are a few things that affect the ping. Distance is the biggest one, Internet provider and upload speed is the next biggest thing, and also if your GC is on a wireless adapter or not. The further away you are, you're probably going to have a bigger ping than someone closer by (unless that person closer by is using dial up =o). Now I've played with some people around New York, (not just you fennec) with pings of around 40. I've also played with some people around New York with pings of around 60. In MKDD playing online, that difference is big. Both times I've played with those people around New York with pings in the 40s, they've had pretty good upload speed, >512kbps. I've also played with people in Texas, but their pings have only been in the 60s-80s. I've also played with people on the west coast, and their pings have often been from 60-100. I've played with people in Michigan and Iowa, and they've had pings of 30, which is a full speed game. The lowest ping game I've experienced was 10-15, and that person was in Mankato, which is about 50 some miles from Apple Valley MN, south suburb of the cities. Some people I've played with have used wireless adapters, and then when they switch to wired, it reduced their ping by about 5-10, which can be a big deal. Quite honestly, I don't know why anyone would go GC wireless, cause 95% of the people who have tried to configure the GC for wireless can't do it. Also, I've heard that if you're on the same Internet provider as someone else, it can reduce ping times also. Oh, and congested local networks are BAD, so don't have like, a million programs running at once sucking up internet. Another thing I've seen people experimenting with is this thing called Internet2. Internet2 is like, a super fast internet/network thing that links several colleges throughout the US, so I've seen people who are playing from south carolina to michigan with pings of about 5! So that's just another thing to factor in if you're in college. (a couple more months for college, woo hoo!) So to sum it up, try to find people who are somewhat close to you. Like me, living in Minnesota, I can often play with people all over the US, but if you're living on the east coast, good luck with playing with someone on the west coast. I would imagine your pings would be too high. There really is no defined 'average pings' you just will find them out from playing, but the best rule to remember is, the further away they are, the harder it will be to connect.
PS, hey fennec, wanna play some this weekend at all? I'm too lazy to pm, so I'm just posting it here.
View user's profileSend private messageMSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:      
Post new topicReply to topic


 Jump to:   



View next topic
View previous topic
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group :: Theme by Daz :: All times are GMT