FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Games Games Games... View next topic
View previous topic
prestige
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So, I recently finish Bioshock on the 360. It was a fun game for the first couple of hours, then it seemed to drag a bit for the next two, and finally, it wrapped up quickly for the last two. Ok, it took more than 6 hours to finish, but at the end I stared at the screen thinking, "Umm... that's not really it is it?" Artistically, it was the most beautiful game I've seen -- I love art deco almost as much as De Stijl.

Next up, Metroid Prime 3. I've only wasted a couple hours of my life on this little number but plan to waste a few more. So far I can say it is graphically superior to any other Wii title. Not being a space shoot 'em sort of fan, I'm underwhelmed by the futuristic geekiness. I imagine the Halo fanboys would cream themselves, though. I will give the game props in one area... use of the Wii controller. Unlike the avalanche of wiggily waggily party games this year, MP3 uses the Remote genuinely. The Wii Remote basically replaces a right-thumbstick allowing you to move the camera as you move the remote around. What is amazing is that there is no delay... it feels as natural as looking through a camera lens. It feels like gliding.

Any other new titles people are excited about?

-p

Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well i would have to say Halo 3 is going to be amazing, Guitar Hero 3 and Rock Band great. Very Happy

Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

This little beauty: Sega Rally Revo: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/24395.html

Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I was a little disappointed by the last act of Bioshock as well, but only because it didn't live up to the impossibly high standards of the first two thirds. Spoiler/highlight to reveal: I thought a boss battle was just kind of a cop-out.

Metroid Prime should be here today courtesy of GameFly. I'm also getting in to Blue Dragon. Not the greatest JRPG ever, but so far it's kept me interested. There's the COD4 beta. Next week brings Stranglehold and Halo 3 is now less than a month away. I'm a huge sucker for co-op campaigns so that's a must-play as well. Then looking to the rest of the year there's a new America's Army game coming out, PGR4, Half Life 2 Orange Box, Beautiful Katamari, Army of Two, and Mass Effect among others.

I have no idea where I'm going to find the time to play all of these...Maybe I'll take a couple of months off from work. Razz
[1up]MstrGmr200
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I just had my friend over to play some Prime 3 and its amazing. Its surprisingly fun just to do simple things like interface with the computers or open a door by moving your controller forward and twisting it. It graphically looks amazing as well as the game play is solid and fun. I've beaten Prime 1 and 2.... looking to beat the last one as well once I snag my own copy. Everyone has been talking bout Bioshock so its probably about time I try it and get myself addicted.

P.S- I'm definitely getting Halo 3 as well. I'd be up for some Team XLink coop on that Cool

Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

ya Prime is fun .. i've got about 3 hours into it so far .. its the best serious game out for the wii so far .. also just got carnival games for the wii , its pretty fun , good multiplayer ..

find more people to play PS2 and GC on kai at www.onlineconsoles.com ... www.ps2onlinegaming.com
redwolf
Team XLink Moderator
Team XLink Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Bioshock was a bit disappointing... specially the lifespan. i was like is that it? Razz

i'm looking forward to this year:

Assassins creed (x360)
COD4 (x360)
Orange box (x360)
Uncharted (PS3) <day i'll get my PS3, unless this game flops like Lair Razz
Splinter Cell (x360)
Time-shift (x360)

Team XLink Baker
Team XLink Baker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

BioShock was a good game but I found it to be extremely short. I won't spoil it for those of you still playing but I found killing Andrew Ryan unsatisfying.

The graphics where great and the storyline was ok but they really could of done much much better with the puzzles and the tasks.

Metroid Prime 3 is ok but not a game I would put into the category of being one of my favorites.

I found I spend more time running aimlessly around worlds trying to find out what to do next.

Also I am not into the whole sci fi thing so the storyline does not really do it for me.

Other then that the controls on the wii are very good with this game and you acquire some fun abilities along the way.

My main criticism is that they could of made certain things more obvious.

I look forward to playing the new silent hill and Mario galaxy.

Gunny
[FUNK]
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

title should read "Girls.. Girls... Girls.." Gebus...

Well the only game that has my interest so far is Halo3. Gona be hard for it to get me off WoW unless its more like Halo1. We shall see.

Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I tried a bit of Metroid Prime.. It's decent, but just not interesting enough to make me want to play all the way through it. The controls were great once I got used to them, but at first I was getting a little nauseous. Who knows, I may go back to it at some point.
prestige
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've gotten more into it, now. I must say, the puzzles are very nice -- on par or better than Zelda's. I'm still not a big fan of the space alien shooter genre but this has enough puzzles and gadgets to keep me interested.

I suppose this may have been obvious to those who have played the other two Metroids: you must use the different visors regularly to find hidden object and scan in enemies and locations to get hints about how to defeat them.

The last mini-boss I took down was interesting. It was sort of a massive armadillo with a deadly retractable tongue. Killing it involved shooting the tongue, transforming into the sphere and bombing it's underbelly to stun it, transforming back and grappling it's tail, and finally shooting it's chest. Then repeat the process another three or four times. This totally reminded me of fighting Zelda bosses where you need to flip between different items in inventory for specific moves. The difference in Prime is that all of these actions are already available on the remote and nunchuck through a few buttons and movements. This made everything fluid and felt very intuitive. There is no pausing to hold down X and selecting an item and then using it. Everything is right at your disposal and ready to aid in your ass kicking.

I will say this, though... the game is getting fucking tough as hell. This, more than any other, is THE Wii game for hardcore gamers.

-p

Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Going on what meanmf was saying about blue dragon. I bought my son his own 360 last weekend, the game he got with it, was blue dragon. I thought it was utter shite. But my son loved it. I cant get into the RPG element at all. All the points, potions, and god knows what else.

I was almost tempted to buy a wii last weekend, but i looked at the games, and i cant justify spending the cash on it. Id rather save my money for the games i want on 360.

I will also be up for some halo3 co-op action. im hoping that my local gamestation has a midnight opening, so i can pick it up after my shift.

Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

the wii for me so far has been a multiplayer console .. if you have people over its the best console hands down for it ..

find more people to play PS2 and GC on kai at www.onlineconsoles.com ... www.ps2onlinegaming.com
-AGF4-hodkins-
Kai Lover
Kai Lover

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Don't forget about your favorite ww2 shooter franchise Medal of Honor comming out with Airborne Assault soon.
MeanMF
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I sent Metroid back to Gamefly today.. It's one of those games that I may or may not come back to. In shooters, boss battles really are not my thing. I prefer tactical gameplay and a difficult mission as opposed to a single enemy with a predictable attack pattern that you can, as Kaz would say, "attack its weak point for MASSIVE DAMAGE"...

And yeah I can see Blue Dragon appealing to a younger crowd, especially one that hasn't played some of the better Final Fantasy games. I'm getting kind of bored with it - the plot and dialog is the same as every other generic JRPG out there, and the main character is a total twit. But the graphics are excellent and there is a good variety of environments throughout the different parts of the game. There are a TON of cutscenes most of which could be faster paced - there are frequent unnecessary pauses between lines of dialog. But I'm not ready to abandon it yet. Oh, and the music is decent but when you get into a boss battle it is spectacularly bad in a way that's hard to imagine.

MoH: Airborne and Stranglehold are both out today.. Hopefully I'll have my hands on them sometime next week. Very Happy
-Gunslinger-
Team XLink Baker
Team XLink Baker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I normally head off for bed at around 10:30/11:00pm on a work day.

Last night P and I were playing Metroid Prime 3 and we reached a point in the game where there was no place to save at the location we were at.

So we spent hours completing tasks and killing mini bosses but there was no save in sight, so I could not turn it off or our entire night would of been a waste.

So we had no choice but to keep going. We beat the last mini boss and we head back to the ship to save finally and guess what? Some bastard is wrecking our ship.

It was about 12:00 midnight by this time and we had to beat this big boss in order to get our ship back to save.

He is a real bitch to kill but P kicked his ass good. Very Happy

So finally we were able to call the ship and do a save. Wow it was insane.

So here I am at work having only had 5 hours of sleep when I normally need and get 8.

Yaaaaaaaaaawn

It was all worth it. Damn I need some sleep -_- zzzzzzzz

Gunny
prestige
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

-Gunslinger- wrote:
We beat the last mini boss and we head back to the ship to save finally and guess what? Some bastard is wrecking our ship.

It was all worth it. Damn I need some sleep -_- zzzzzzzz
Gunny

My jaw nearly hit the floor when that robot dude was trashing the ship. To defend itself, the ship takes off leaving you stranded. Curse you, Nintendo!!! Curse you! Give me a save so I can get some rest you evil game-mongering whore!

This 'keep alive long enough to get to a save' was obviously part of the challenge to the level. I hope this is the only level that does this!

As much as this is a single person shooter, I really can't see how anyone finishes a game like this by themselves without someone cheering them on and taking the controls from time to time. It is intense.

MeanMF wrote:

In shooters, boss battles really are not my thing. I prefer tactical gameplay and a difficult mission as opposed to a single enemy with a predictable attack pattern

That makes perfect sense and well put, man. I enjoy puzzles and methodical gameplay, myself, so learning the correct sequence through repetitious trial and error is fun for me. I confess, as much as I have enjoyed multiplayer shooters in the past (RS3, GR, etc), I've never played the single player 'missions' on any of them.

I wonder what games like Zelda or Super Mario would be like without the big bosses. In many ways they interrupt the game flow and story. Not to mention they provide hours of frustration.

-p

Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

prestige wrote:
I wonder what games like Zelda or Super Mario would be like without the big bosses. In many ways they interrupt the game flow and story. Not to mention they provide hours of frustration.

For Zelda it would simply be

"Good job for getting in a random room in the dungeon, here is that piece of that vital item you need!"

Bosses make it more fun and challenging in my own view.

On the Nintendo front I'm waiting until I can get my own copy of Metroid Prime 3 instead of just "borrowing" my friends for too long. Most of you forgot to mention Super Smash Brothers Brawl. That game looks like its going to be pretty amazing. *hopes for online and lan play*

Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't mind bosses in RPGs..I think they fit a lot better there - you need to build your character up and get the right abilities to be able to defeat a super-powerful enemy. In shooters though I would much rather see a tough level or mission. I like a game where tactics determine the outcome, not which weapons you can find or how well you can memorize attack patterns through trial and error. COD2 has some the best examples of this on the Xbox 360 - the D-Day level and the one after that were just insane.
[OG]Matt
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

HALO 3 IS GONNA sUCK

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic