FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Will Kai influence game development on GC?? View next topic
View previous topic
Diablo911
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 9:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If more games were system link compatible (and playable online via kai) wouldn't that make a better market for GC games??... mind you, there are not enough xlink'ers to make a dent in game sales at this point.

Do you think GC game developers are even aware that Kai exists??... if I weren't an xbox gamer I would have no idea that I could get my GC online w/ kai. If I were Nintendo I would get behind Kai, promote the service and make more system link games... but I'm not so I'll just wait for some good ones to come out. Mario Kart is the only one that sparks an interest right now though, so I need to make a few purchases.

A headset would be a nice feature... but I'm thinking that is strictly wishfull thinking.

Just some thoughts.... comments?
DJC
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 9:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

yeah, I was hopin that prime 2 would support network play, but..... Anyway it would be a verey nice thing to see Shocked
kj05
Team XLink Moderator
Team XLink Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 2:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

it would be nice but td has spoke with sum of the ubisoft devs and apperently ninty has sum weird lan configs so it all has to be set the same which makes it weird and not to lan friendly and most devs want it their way not this weird way
l3laze
Team XLink Moderator
Team XLink Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 6:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

kj05 wrote:
it would be nice but td has spoke with sum of the ubisoft devs and apperently ninty has sum weird lan configs so it all has to be set the same which makes it weird and not to lan friendly and most devs want it their way not this weird way

sad news but true Sad

[img]Image
soul2soul
Kai Enthusiast
Kai Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 10:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well it's like I said in another topic.

GCN has 2 LAN protocols:

- Protocol that s*x! Like Mario Kart and all other LAN games made by Nintendo.

-Nice protocol: Is similar to what they use for Xbox and should run smooth one NGC.

But Ninty is always weird! So they always choose the s*ck protocol.

That's what TD told me BTW!

Last edited by soul2soul on Wed May 26, 2004 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheDaddy

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 11:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah - basically the cube is capable of network in any fashion - it's got a full TCP/IP stack - but Nintendo seem to be strongly encouraging game devs to simple send controller data over the LAN and lock it to frame rate - which cripples things for online gamers with pings over sorta 40ms.. This *doesnt* mean that it will always be like this - I do expect games in the future to use more efficient netcode.

TD
Hajaz
Kai Admirer
Kai Admirer

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

i just hope some more lan games are released any time soon...
seems nintendo's missed some good oportunities already. Just imagine how much fun we couldve had if f-zero GX had lan (with efficient netcode)
Ness
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 8:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Game devs are much much more aware of Warp Pipe than Kai for a special reason. They went to the E3 and talked with some very interesting people, and I cannot say who, but interesting and famous people too. For now, you can say Warp Pipe is Kai's ground to stand on.
NeoBlizz
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 9:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

To answer the question..

NO, I dont think GC developers will make better netcode just so we can use Kai/WP to play LAN-games over Internet.

But I do believe that the netcode will improve in future LAN-games.
TheDaddy

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 12:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Heh... just to clean something up, I've only spoken to one or two GCN devs overall - but I can tell you for sure that no game devs have any intention to work with *any* tunnel crew whatsoever. You may read some stuff over on WPP about integration - the reason they are talking about this is because they are having massive issues with 0.4 (primarily that they've finally accepted that its not *possible* to go any faster then they - or more importantly Kai - goes already). Expect them to drop the 0.4 client (which will be pretty much the same as 0.35 - but maybe with an even cheesier UI) - then claim some sort of "secret deal" with game devs - which will keep a few people hanging round for a bit longer - people dumb enough to credit it. Nothing will every happen with it, and WPP will fade into insignificance, as few games will come out in the future which support LAN play.

We're sorta safe as we support all 3 consoles - it doesn't really hurt us that there aren't many GCN LAN games - people will use Kai for LAN if they want to.

We've seen all sorts of crap hurled our way from Chad and the other guys over there - and to be honest, I'm pretty sick of him. They got a foothold on the tunnelling world by claiming that we nicked some stuff of theirs - hence making the news (even /.) - a pretty thin publicity scam, if you ask me. All I know is that of the 10 or so people I've spoken to who have used 0.4, they're all gonna go pretty quiet when it lands ... if it even lands...

As to all this nonsense about E3 - I can just imagine the sort of things which happened:

Chad: HI! I'm Chad Paulson - warppipe project leader! We want you to let us help you add network play to your future games!

UbiSoft Guy: Who?

Chad: CHAD PAULSON!! WARPPIPE?

UbiSoft Guy: Who?

Chad: IM THE BEST PROJECT MANAGER IN THE WORLD!!

UbiSoft Guy: Sorry.. who?

Chad: We write software which brings the GCN online - you should make your future games work with our stuff - we could even help you write good netcode!

UbiSoft Guy: Oh - that Kai thing?

Chad: NO!!! THEY'RE THIEVES / RAPISTS!! THEY STOLE OUR CODE!! I'M THE BEST PROJECT MANAGER IN THE WORLD - ARENT I GUYS??

Other WPP Devs: <slowly backing away> Er.. we don't actually know this guy..

UbiSoft Guy: <talks into radio> "Security to Ubi stand please."

Chad: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Security: This way please sir.. <drags him off>

Chad: <muffled> BUT IM THE BEST PROJECT MANAGER IN THE WOOOOORRRLLLLDDDD

<thud>

I gotta say - at least "competing" with XBC is a challenge - they've been around a bit, their code works and they have a lot of users. The WPP clowns are shaping up to be a no-contest.. Anyway, updates coming soon guys, thanks for you help so far - it's great to work with y'all to make this thing better each day.. ignore the crap from others Smile

TD
l3laze
Team XLink Moderator
Team XLink Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 3:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

yea i was banned too i wasn't making any smerk comments or anything but hey deep down chad knows he has no real reason to bann me or anyone else....he is just power hunger thats all.

[img]Image
Hajaz
Kai Admirer
Kai Admirer

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

basically, theyre having xlink topics on their forum, where everything positive about Kai gets deleted asap
TheDaddy

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Go look in their E3 pics thread.. find the ones of Chad..lol... just stare at it and imagine him whining "IM THE BEST PROJECT MANAGER IN THE WORLD"..

Lol

TD

(yeah ure right - a lot of their guys actually like Kai - hell, most of the 0.4 testing crew plays on here now - but as soon as they reply to the threads with it, it gets deleted.... how lovely Wink )
Mad.Whack
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 3:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I really hope WP 0.4 comes out. Why? We can convert them with thier own program (integrated chat)... Muahahah
Ness
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 5:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm banned too.....damn ****er....

Anyhoo, hope Kai supports DS Very Happy
Andrew
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 7:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Blaze and Ness deserved bans but oh well.

Anyway, im interested in trying out Kai if anyone will ever get on and play!
Hajaz
Kai Admirer
Kai Admirer

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 9:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Andrew wrote:
Blaze and Ness deserved bans but oh well.

Anyway, im interested in trying out Kai if anyone will ever get on and play!

no problem! An independant third party provided us with a great tool for that.
"Find Opponents Fast
Login to the Warp Pipe Game Finder and find opponents who would like to play LAN based GameCube games online instantly."

yay Wink
Andrew
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

What's that mean? I'm in Kai lobbies and everyone's like..."Uh...im busy"
NeoBlizz
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 1:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree with theDaddy (the guy who say he is grown up, but acts just like a child, just sheck in this very thread to see it) in some areas..

There just not so much you can do with the netcode, but when they have optimized the tranfers thats need to be done over the Internet, then thats it.

But I like the "easy/almost non existing" GUI for the WP more then Kai.

But hey, didn't I hear something about custimizable GUIs for Kai?
TheDaddy

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 8:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
I agree with theDaddy (the guy who say he is grown up, but acts just like a child, just sheck in this very thread to see it) in some areas..

Aww come on Wink Stuff like that's just harmless fun - don't tell me that you didn't have a giggle when you read it. It's a semi-private joke between, well, a few hundred of us... lol ... although I do think it's rude that Chad is stringing people along with the "we're gonna work with devs" thing - I mean, you've got a lot of very loyal people over there who will believe whatever the mods tell them - it's nasty to tell em stuff like that just to keep em there. They're gonna be pretty disappointed when they realise its BS.

However, lets think about something which isnt harmless fun, lets say I put some news up on my front page here... lets say it said "Hey everyone! That NeoBlizz guy is a thief. I know for a *fact* he stole my car yesterday, then sold it to buy crack - and all his family steal cars to buy crack". Let's then say that hundreds of other websites copied my news, and made it their news. So, just about anyone you speak to on the internet's like "You car thieving bastard!". Tell me, what would you do?

TD

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic