View previous topic
SpudAU
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Is your network reachable?

Just sits on 'Not Yet'.

Are you using a port-forward?

I've tried setting the port in Kai Config to zero and turning the firewall off and I've tried it with the Firewall on and opened port 3074 (TCP and UDP) while setting the port in Kai Config to 3074 also.
At the moment I have the firewall on using the port settings as mentioned above.

Is your console being detected?

No.

Brief description of your network setup:

Microsoft Wireless Base Station MN-500 with built in 4 port hub. Two PC's are connected and one Xbox. One PC is connected via wireless but it not used for Kai or anything to do with the Xbox. The PC running Kai is connected directly to the Router via ethernet CAT5 cable and so is the Xbox. DHCP is set on the router, Xbox and PC using Kai.

Do you use a software firewall? What brand? Have you made any changes to it?

There is no software firewall running on my system whatsoever. The only firewall running is the one built into the router which, as mentioned earlier, I have tried Kai with it turned on and off.

Operating System?

Windows XP Pro SP2. All windows updates and latest drivers for all hardware including motherboard bios.

Problem description?

Kai cannot see my Xbox.

Ive tried with Avalaunch, XBMC and using the PC interface. The XLink program itself works fine (I think), it just can't see my Xbox for the love of money hehe.

My basic setup is a router with built in 4 port hub, one pc and one Xbox. Both pc and Xbox connect to the hub via CAT5. The Xbox is modded and I can connect via FTP from the PC fine with no probs.

Running XBMC I can see my XLink friends list and thier pings on the Xbox and all that which looks promising as the commucation between the XLink engine and my Xbox seem to be fine. But once I start a game from there I see no system link games whatsoever. I've tried all my system link Xbox games (about 10) and I get nothing.
The same procedure occurs with Avalaunch. I can login to Xlink with no probs and see my friends list fine. Everything appears fine but once I load the game up, nothing!
If I try the normal Kai setup and run the PC interface and control the arenas and stuff from there, the diagnostic tool never detects that I have an Xbox on the network. And yes im running a game and 'looking' for system link games when testing this.

I've tried specifying an IP address manually for my Xbox and I've also tried using DHCP and still I can never get online.
I have Xbox LAN's often so I know my hardware is all fine and the network setup I have is really quite basic. This is what gives me the frustration. I feel I've crossed all my T's and dotted all my ... lower-case J's Sad .

KaiUserConfig

kaiPort=3074
kaiDeepPort=0
kaiAccept=ALL
kaiTimeout=NOUI
kaiNIC=0
kaiLaunch=BOTH
kaiHomebrew=OFF
kaiPAT=OFF
kaiAutoLogin=ON
kaiAllowBadNICS=OFF
kaiWireless=
kaiUI=Default
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
dfunked
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Just realised who you were Spuds Very Happy Remember going to your site a while ago and checking out your home cinema - very impressive indeed Smile

OK. I assume this MN-500 does MAC address translation, but nobody can be certain. If it doesn't, you'll need to enter the info into the Kai Config. Tool under 'Wireless'. Press the Help button in the Kai Config. Tool adn scroll to the wireless section for more info about what goes where and how to enter it.

As for the port-forwarding, you shouldn't port forward 3074 UDP. Make it 30000 UDP. 3074 UDP is system link traffic meaning it could be messing up with the XBox detection (it shouldn't, but it could).

I'm also free on MSN tomorrow to help you out if needs be (you're currently idle).
SpudAU
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Awesome cheers dfunked I'll try the mac address thing and see how it goes.
I got your msn message just now (7:19am ... I work nights) and I've added you to my contact list.

Thanks again Cool
Spud
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
SpudAU
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ok I fixed the problem Idea .

Now I could be totally wrong here but here is what I did...

I'd been having simular troubles with XBConnect in that it also could not see my network. So I thought I'd drop into thier forums and have a poke around. You see everytime I'd load up XBConnect I'd get an error message pop up saying "Driver Not Loaded". Once you 'Ok' that XBConnect continues to run but when you try to look for your Xbox it can't find any network devices to use to search for an Xbox looking for games.

So in their forums I found this post here (you need to be logged in) which basically talks about a registry key that XBConnect uses that has been deleted by the popular reg cleaner Registry First Aid. Now I don't use Registry First Aid but I do use a simular program RegSupreme so I thought I'd give it a bash and install the regkey and see how it goes. Sure enough upon starting XBConnect it found my network and my Xbox immediatly!

So I tried Kai shortly after and sure enough everything just 'worked'. My network was found almost immediatly, then the Xbox was found after that and I've playing online with Kai all afternoon until now Smile . I thought I'd better share my knowledge with you all just in case anyone else has simular issues.

I could be way off with what I did but it worked for me so I'm happy. Anyway after using both XBConnet and Kai I gotta Kai kicks it's butt bigtime!
Thanks guys XLink Kai rocks!
dfunked
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Glad you got it working Spud Smile Didn't need me after all hehe..

Just so people know, this is an error that 2 or 3 users have reported, that some regcleaners empty out these values. It shouldn't be a problem after the next update, as Kai will force these reg entries that get missing to be written everytime Kai is run.

If you use XBC, you may have seen an 'HNERR_DRIVER_NOT_LOADED' error dialog. This is the result of the registry entry being wiped. Between now and the fix, here's what to do to sort this.

Open Notepad. Paste the following, and save it as kai.reg

Code:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\PSSdk21]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\PSSdk21]
"ImagePath"=hex(2):5C,3F,3F,5C,43,3A,5C,57,49,4E,44,4F,57,53,5C,73,79,73,74,65,6D,33,32,5C,44,72,\
69,76,65,72,73,5C,48,4E,50,73,53,64,6B,2E,64,72,76,00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\Eventlog\Application\WmdmPmSp]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\Eventlog\Application\WmdmPmSp]
"EventMessageFile"=hex(2):43,3A,5C,57,49,4E,44,4F,57,53,5C,53,79,73,74,65,6D,33,32,5C,6D,73,70,6D,73,70,\
73,76,2E,64,6C,6C,00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\PSSdk21]
"ImagePath"=hex(2):5C,3F,3F,5C,43,3A,5C,57,49,4E,44,4F,57,53,5C,73,79,73,74,65,6D,33,32,5C,44,72,\
69,76,65,72,73,5C,48,4E,50,73,53,64,6B,2E,64,72,76,00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Eventlog\Application\WmdmPmSp]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Eventlog\Application\WmdmPmSp]
"EventMessageFile"=hex(2):43,3A,5C,57,49,4E,44,4F,57,53,5C,53,79,73,74,65,6D,33,32,5C,6D,73,70,6D,73,70,\
73,76,2E,64,6C,6C,00

After saving, double click on it. Should fix it.

Smile Glad we got that one sorted.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic