FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Wifi Max 'out-of-date'? View next topic
View previous topic
FoxHound1224
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Read on PSP users, this wasn't stickied for no reason Smile

Ok, I bought a White Wifi Max- so of course I havent actually played online yet - however i have seen other possiblities
Firslty - theres the New Planex USB pens
Secondly - The Buffalo USB stick

First question about the Planex USB pen is do you need a previous version of Wifi Max or is it a totally new device?
Secondly Is it actually out on sale yet - Amazon isnt selling yet so it just made me wonder
Finally is it easy to set up? - in comparison to Wifi Max I guess anything seems like a breeze now Razz
rapture115
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If I were you, I'd send back that WiFi Max stick ASAP. Not only is it out-of-date, but also it is no longer (or highly unlikely to be) compatible with Kai. A few years ago, this was not the case. However, times have changed, and so have these adapters.

There's a reason why the planex adapters are featured on the teamxlink homepage. They simply are just better than WiFi Max/Link adapters. And I'm not pulling things out of nowhere, I own both the GW-USMini2N and the WiFi Max adapters. The Max just pales in comparison to the planex one, whether it's in speed, stability, or price. They are completely different adapters that use the RALINK driver instead of the ZYDAS drivers.

I'm not sure what you're talking about, but amazon and ecost currently have the GW-USMini2N in stock. If you're talking about a discount, I doubt there will be one.

Is the Planex adapter easier to set up than the WiFi Max adapters?

Yes.

With the Max/Link adapters, you have to use a Third-party driver NOT included on their CD in order to enable PSP XLink Mode.
However, with the Planex adapter, you use THEIR own drivers that has PSP XLink Mode enabled. There's no need to force install a driver, just pop in the disc and install.

As for the Buffalo USB adapters, I don't have any input as I never owned one. However, I hear their drivers have PSP XLink Mode on it, so it should be easier to install than a WiFi Max (not sure how it compares to a planex adapter though).

Hope that helps.

Yes, it's possible.
FoxHound1224
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you, That has shined alot of light over the situation, I'm planning to buy the Planex USB pen, I followed the link on the xlink page(amazon.co.uk) andsays 'Sign up to be notified when this item becomes available' - this is for the GW-US54Mini2G so Im not too sure - If anyone has bought one from Amazon, could you send me the link to one (hopefully the correct one that works Very Happy) thanks for the info much appreciated.
In addition, the White Wifi Max I have bought has Ralink drivers but has no association with any Zydas drivers, I'm not too sure if I actually need the Zydas driver. This is a noob question but how do you actually make the Wifi Max a Access point? do you connect to your wireless connection?

I found this on Amazon:-
http://www.amazon.co.uk/150Mbps-Wireless-Adapter-GW-USMini2N-designed/dp/B0015VOIC4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1235031505&sr=8-3
Please tell if this is one that works with online gaming for psp please Smile
(It has the Xlink kai logo so I guess it works)
Hawk_The_Slayer
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes, that is the exact USB adapter I purchased in December 2008 (lol, and left a review on Amazon about it) and it has worked perfectly since, so I would recommend it 100% for Xlink Kai and PSP play.

Hawk.
[1up]Stickey
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

**Stickied**

Edit: Please note that Xlink makes absolutely no profits off of the
USB wireless adapters. Everything we do is absolutely free.
Hawk_The_Slayer
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
If I were you, I'd send back that WiFi Max stick ASAP. Not only is it out-of-date, but also it is no longer (or highly unlikely to be) compatible with Kai.

Not strictly true, Black/White Wifi Max's still work with Kai. Raptures statement has been misleading people about compatible adapters Sad

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic