FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 How-To: Phantasy Star Portable, Kai, and Planex View next topic
View previous topic
rapture115
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Before I start, I would like to give credit to Mod-Soul for figuring out how to play Phantasy Star using WiFi Max/Link adapters.
Additionally, I would like to give credit to MeanMF for his suggestion on joining on Vista.

This guide is for Mac OS X, Windows XP, and Windows Vista.
Once again, I'll be using my trusty GW-USMini2N (although the steps should be similar, if not identical, for other Planex adapters).

First of all, you can do this on a Planex adapter. You do not need to go out and buy a WiFi Max/Link adapter just for this game. Team XLink is not responsible if you buy an incompatible WiFi Max adapter.

As Mod-Soul pointed out, PS:P uses a different SSID every party you play. This SSID is given to the "Host," who then must give his SSID to the other party members before they are booted from the game. This means everyone has to be quick, as the time margin before boot is small (about 15-20 seconds).

Lets start playing!

I. Hosting

1) Select, "Create a new party"

2) Open the Planex Utility or Vista's Zero Configuration, hit refresh, and connect to the PSP SSID.
ImageImageImage

3) Wait for party members to join.

4) When everyone's ready, select "Begin party play."

GET READY

5) As soon as the PSP starts connecting, go back to the Utility/Zero Config. and hit "refresh." There will be a DIFFERENT SSID. Connect to this one.
ImageImageImage

6) Copy & Paste/Type the new SSID into the XLink Kai chatroom for your party members. Mac users, copy and paste the SSID from the "Link Status" tab.

You are done; now it's time to let the joiners handle the rest.

II. Joining, definitely the harder of the two

1) Select, "Join a party"

2) Open the Planex Utility or Vista's Zero Configuration, hit refresh, and connect to the PSP SSID.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FOR OS X AND XP USERS ONLY

a) After connecting the adapter to the SSID, add the SSID to your profiles (you only need to do this once). Name the profile whatever you want.
ImageImage

b) Please check to make sure that the profile is activated (either by the green check in OS X or the blue triangle in XP) in the "Profile" tab.
ImageImage
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3) On the PSP, select the Host's name to join.

GET READY

4) The Host will start and give you an SSID in the chatroom.

Note 1: Vista users, please ask the host to give the ENTIRE SSID.
Note 2: Vista users, please have the "Manage Wireless Networks" window open before the host starts (see below)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FOR OS X AND XP USERS ONLY

a) In the "Profile" tab, select the profile, and hit "Edit"
ImageImage

b) Paste/Type the new SSID into the existing one, and hit "OK." Watch out for spaces!
ImageImage

c) The adapter will connect to this new SSID, and you should be good to go.

Note: The profile will disconnect temporarily after you add the new SSID. This is normal, as it will shortly reconnect afterwards.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FOR VISTA USERS

a) Right-click on your Network connection icon and select "Network and Sharing Center".

b) Select "Manage wireless networks"

c) Select the "Add" button.

d) Select "Create an ad hoc network"

e) Paste the entire SSID into the Network name, and select "No authentication" for Security type. After that, hit "Next".

f) Check to see if the new SSID is recognized by hovering over the Planex icon

Once the adapter has recognized this new SSID, you should be ready to play.

Note: You have to repeat this procedure every time you join, since every game uses a different SSID.

Credits:
Guide and pictures by rapture115
MeanMF - for the Vista suggestion
Mod-Soul - for his guide and general knowledge on how to play PS:P on Kai
-Patric, SilentSinner, and Thrash5 - for helping me test on Vista

Yes, it's possible.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic