FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 How to: Xlink Kai w/ Asus EEE Box b202, Windows XP 32 View next topic
View previous topic
ROCK01
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Even though the steps are very similar to the white wifi max setup, i decited to do a guide anyway.

Please note: English is not my native language – so please forgive me all possible grammar/spelling mistakes. Thanks:)

Also note: All screenshots were taken on a pc with a german Windows, i'll tried my best to translate the options.
Using the drivers provided in the guide is your own risk – i will not be responsible if anything happens to your pc.

If there is enough interest, i could post the guide in german aswell.
Also feel free to translate it in any language you speak and post it here.

I assume you have the following setup:

1.EEE Box with Windows XP (32bit)
2.Already installed the latest Version of xlink kai (in my case 7.4.18), and have an account.
3.Have administrator rights on the PC.
4.Downloaded the driver for the RT2860 card from http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Windows.html to a folder on your pc. Note: This is optional if you already have the RaUI tool.
5. Downloaded the driver I used for testing from: http://www.file-upload.net/download-1729757/ralink_cardbus2860.zip.html
This driver worked correctly for the ssid detection
6.You have set your PSP Ad-Hoc channel to „Ch 1“.
7.You are connected to the internet via the LAN port – this is VERY important, since you cant use the wifi card for the psp and the internet.

So lets start the step by step Guide – i assume you dont have the Raui tool yet:

1.------------------------
Go to the folder that contains the driver setup (IS_AP_STA_RT2860_D-1.4.2.0_VA-2.3.2.0_RU-2.2.3.0_VA-2.2.8.0_AU_2.1.3.0_VA-2.1.3.0_040209_1.0.9.0_Free.exe) and run it.

You will be promted to choose between driver and utility or just the driver, i would recommend to install with the first option, as it will save you some hassle later.

After that he will ask for a configuration tool – choose the Ralink tool.
The card will be installed automaticly afterwards.

2.------------------------
Extract the contents of ralink_cardbus2860.zip to a folder.

Then go to: Start → Control panel → network connections.
Right click on the Wireless Network Connection that has the 802.11n Wireless LAN card description and choose „Properties“
It should look like this:

Click on „configure“ -> „driver“ → „update“
You will be asked if you want to look for drivers in windows Update.
Choose „No,not this time“

In the next window choose the lower option as shown here:

In the next window choose the lower option as shown here:

In the next window choose „have disk“ and point it to the folder where you extracted the contents of ralink_cardbus2860.zip and click ok.

Now it should show you the following screen:

Click on next, you will get a warning – choose continue anyway:

Windows will warn you that there is already a newer driver installed, confirm the overwrite:

Now you have finished the card installation and have the options needed for kai to work.
Close the window.

3--------------
Right click on the Wireless Network Connection that has the 802.11n Wireless LAN card description and choose „Properties“ → „configure“ → advanced.

In the list you will have to change the following value:

PSP Xlink mode → choose „Enable“ (This will enable the card to work with xlink)
Confirm with „OK“
Note: I also changed the Network type to ad-hoc, but i dont know if that is necessary.
After that, confirm and close the window.

4.------------------------
Again: Right click on the Wireless Network Connection that has the USB Wireless LAN card description and choose „Properties“.

This time scroll down in the middle list and doubleclick on „Internetprotocol TCP/IP.
Choose to use a static IP Address and type in the values seen on this picture:

Click OK and you are done with configuring the card.
Just a quick info why i did this: If you set a static IP Address the connection between the PSP and the card will establish a lot quicker, as you will not have to wait for a address to be assinged.

5.------------------------
Go to Start → All programs → Xlink Kai → Configure Kai.
Please make sure you set the marked options as shown in this picture:

Click on save once you are done.

6.------------------------
Right click on the Kai tray icon and choose close.
Boot up your PSP Game and go into the multiplayer lobby.
In my case i played Monster hunter freedom unite – so its the online gathering hall.
If the game you play has more than one lobby, choose always the first one as you will only see people online that are in the same lobby.

Once you are inside the lobby and your psp wifi light is flashing, double click on the Ralink tray icon.

Click on „Network“ and then choose scan – you will see a list looking like this:

Here choose the network with PSP_XXXX in the name and click connect.
Now you are connected with your PSP and are just moments away from playing on xlink kai.

7.------------------------
Open xlink kai – it will disconnect your wireless connection with the psp – dont worry that is perfectly fine and happens to me all the time.

After this the card will be in "promiscuous" mode.
You can check this with the tool you can find here:
http://www.ntsecurity.nu/toolbox/promiscdetect/

Just reconnect to the PSP_XXXX network in the Ralink software.
Kai will show a small popup in the lower right corner that it changes the ssid to PSP_XXXX.

What you will see now depends on the client you use, if you use the „Standard-GUI“ do the following, if you use the webinterface – see below:

Standard GUI

Login into kai and click on the globe – you can choose your games from there but don't do that yet – instead click on the magnifying glass.
This will open up the diagnostics mode:

The following options are important:

Network reachable: Yes (can take some time!) – if that is not the case, you will have to forward the port.
See the forum for a howto.

SSID: PSP_XXX: Should be the same ssid as you connected to in the Ralink tool.

Once you verified the options click on the „Folder“
Here it should list a PSP - if it says „Sony PSP,configured successfully“ you are fine.
If not, check that you did everything as posted in the guide – if you did please search the forums.

Webinterface

Login into kai and click on „Metric“
This will open up the diagnostics:

The following options are important:

Network reachable: Yes (can take some time!) – if that is not the case, you will have to forward the port.
See the forum for a howto.

SSID: PSP_XXX: Should be the same ssid as you connected to in the Ralink tool
Also it should list your PSP here -If not, check that you did everything as posted in the guide – if you did please search the forums.

8.------------------------
You are ready to go – just choose the game you want to play and open up a lobby or use a existing one.
You will see players joining and can start playing.

I hope you found my little guide helpfull.
Enjoy your games and if you have some questions, feel free to send me a PM or ask me on Xlink.
Also: If you have an idea how i could improve the guide, just send me a message.

And again: Sorry for any grammar/spelling mistakes :D

A big thank you goes out to Atlas_S, ansem628 and kirbaugh - as promised i'll credit you for helping me testing stuff out :D

Forgive me any grammar mistakes Wink
Atlas_S
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Your English is better then mine. Thanks for a much needed guide, i'm sure a lot of people will be helped by this Smile
AvonGenesis
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you very much! This guide has helped me get xlink to work on my 1000HE EEE PC even though this guide is for the EEE Box, the network adaptor installed on some 1000HE EEE PCs is the ralink 2860 and lucky for me, thats what I have. Thanks again.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic